Author Topic: Ergonomics  (Read 2311 times)

Offline Click177

Ergonomics
« on: March 12, 2008, 12:16:28 AM »
Hi, I am a new member, and am in the market for my ideal pocket pistol.

I have hefted a Kahr PM9, and noted the aggressive texture of the grip. Now I need to find a Rohrbaugh to get my hand around. The grip looks a lot more user friendly. Any comments?

Also, in that infamous error ridden article by Gun-Tests http://www.kahr.com/PA-1B/review_gtc_0804.html (masterfully rebutted by Rohrbaugh http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1091220026) they complained about the position of the trigger finger on the Rohrbaugh. I have average sized hands for a 6' tall guy. The link below compares the "trigger-to-backstrap reach" of several Pocket Semi-Automatic Handguns. They place a 2.25" blue line in each scaled photo to aid you in comparing the reach http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf. The trigger reaches look very similar in these photos, but what is not factored in is the way ones finger wraps around the particular contour of the pistol. Anyone care to share their experience with this?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 12:19:00 AM by Click177 »

Offline Jack Foulard

• Expert
Re:  Ergonomics
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 11:26:34 AM »
Welcome Click177-

There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and many members carry or have carried various pocket guns.  I have the untmost confidence that thaey will be able to give their opinions from first-hand knowledge.  Since I cannot be helpful with this question, I will step aside.

Again, welcome.

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 12:12:05 PM »
Welcome Click!

I have a PM40 and have not noticed it having a aggressive texture to the grip so I may not be the best one to answer this question eithor, but...

I think once you do find a Rohrbaugh to get your hand around you will find it to fit like a glove (that is for a 9mm pocket pistol anyway).  I own and have carried lots of  pocket pistols and find that the Rohrbaugh or a Seecamp 380 (or many times both) almost always find there way into my pocket.  I can't remember when I had my PM40, P3at, P32, Guardian, G26, NAA mini (I do carry a black widow on my ankle daily) or my snubby's in my pocket last.  

I am 6'1" with avg. hands and have Zero problems with gripping the R9.  Try to find one to see for yourself,  we (forum members) are all over and you may find someone local to you that would let you shoot one.    I think you will like it!

grandpa

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 01:14:26 PM »
  Click,   I have G10 grips on mine. I find that the r9 shifts some with repeated fire. I covered the grip with a rubber inner tube. This was a great help. Particularly if  my hands are unusually dry and hard. It also reduced the felt recoil a little. Hope this helps.

Grandpa

Offline Click177

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 09:09:59 PM »
Jack, Thank you for the welcome!

ccoorreeyy, thanks for the reply. Perhaps my office hands need a little texture applied  ;)

grandpa, thanks for the tips on grips!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 09:45:59 PM »
Click,
The only thing that ever bothered me about the R-9 was the
purchase of the last three fingers underneath the trigger
guard; there didn't seem to be enough upward curvature
of the trigger guard to facilitate gripping with the last three
fingers, particularly with the little finger. I have short, stubby
fingers, medium size glove, even though I am over six feet.
This minor problem has been somewhat diminished with Bryce's
Hook mag extension and a slip on grip. Even though I wouldn't
buy one, the AMT concealed carry on your link looks like the
trigger guard curve would suit me perfectly. As always, there
are compromises and the R-9 solves most of them.

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 09:49:43 PM »
I like aggressively textured grips. I prefer 20 LPI on my 1911's. I think 30 LPI feels too wimpy, but I'm probably in the minority on that. I wish the R9 had some checkering or stippling on the front and back straps. It's comfortable to hold but as Grandpa said, it can tend to torque and shift in your hand. I added a small Uncle Mike's slip on rubber grip that works pretty well. I tried it at the suggestion of Karl R. He told me he uses one on his personal R9.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 10:16:54 PM »
You will have to get ahold of one to check for yourself "grip-wise"..
Funny thing is that when I bought my first pup,there were no pups at dealers,so I bought sight unseen!! ;) And I never looked back!!
I have not had to,but a few have used the grip tape on the front/back of grip for a better purchase during shooting,you can always peel it off if it doesn't work for you..

I have little experience with the Kahr,so I cannot comment on that..
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Click177

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 10:22:18 PM »
The only thing that ever bothered me about the R-9 was the purchase of the last three fingers underneath the trigger guard...

Roger that. I see what you mean about the trigger guard. It is good to hear that other ergonomic factors are a non-issue to you.

Thanks,
Click

Offline Click177

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 10:27:33 PM »
harrydog, thanks for the tip on Uncle Mike's slip on rubber grip. It is good to have options on the range.

Offline Click177

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 10:36:50 PM »
Brenden, yeah I will have to get one in my hand. I am discovering how hard it is to find one at a dealer. I wonder how many of these are purchased sight unseen.

I would be interested in following ccoorreeyy''ss suggestion to perhaps find a forum member nearby who would allow me to see how it fits my hand. Anybody near Berks, Chester, or Lancaster counties in Pennsylvania who would be willing to meet up with me for a few minutes? Please send me a PM.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 01:39:11 AM by Click177 »