Author Topic: Which Speer Ammo  (Read 1889 times)

Offline mwbgtb

Which Speer Ammo
« on: April 30, 2011, 01:36:07 PM »
Looking at Ammunitiontogo.com web site and it shows two different types of 115 gr HP Gold Dot ammo for the 9mm:

1. 115 gr HP 20rd box for $21.95

OR

2. 115gr HP LE Duty Ammunition 50 rd box for $24.95

Which one and why?

Many thanks,
Mike

Offline margator

• Sharpshooter
Re: Which Speer Ammo
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 02:12:15 PM »
I think the LE only applies to law enforcement

Offline Mullin

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 02:17:14 PM »
I think the LE only applies to law enforcement
No - I just purchased a couple of boxes and I'm not LE.
Glock 17, 19, 26
Ruger LC9, LCP

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 02:35:47 PM »
I really doubt there is any difference except the round count. Speer would not sell inferior ammo to LEOs. With that in mind, I choose the LE version.

Rick

Offline margator

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »
http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/golddot.aspx

Still cant figure it out....who would buy 20 when u would get 50  for  a few bucks more? The boxes shown are different and some say duty protection and others say personal protection and I am not confusing anybof these with the Lawman line......??????

Offline JR956678

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 10:31:45 AM »
I checked the Speer part numbers for both and the only difference is the LE begins with a "5" and the other begins with a "2" - apparently designating the quantity.

It's not unusual to see ammo packaged for LE in 50 count cartons, and "consumer" ammo packaged in 20 count cartons and the price nearly the same. Even though you are not in LE you can still purchase the LE packaging - and should if it's available (it isn't always available) - it's much cheaper and it's the same ammo save for the packaging.

Offline margator

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 03:02:22 PM »
I took advantage.....what a deal! ::)

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 06:24:21 PM »
Speer sells ammo through two different distribution networks and their dealers can be for either or in some cases both.  That is the civilian or commercial distributor and the Law Enforcement distributor.   Some are part of both networks i.e.  SGA and Ammo to go.   And some like midway are part of only the commercial market.   Others like Streichers are only LE network.   Commercial premium ammunition is sold in 20 rd boxes for Speer and Federal who are both owned and operated by ATAK.   LE Distributors get the very same premium ammo in 50 round boxes.   All calibers and types of ammo are not available in both networks.   +P+ for instance exists, theoretically, only for LE use.  Premium hunting ammo for handguns exists only in the commercial market.    The distributors service different markets and the price structure is totally different.   A 20 rd box of premium Gold Dot or Hydrashok ammo costs nearly as much as a 50 rd box of the same ammunition sold through LE dealers.    LE dealers and distributors are not prevented from selling their products on a retail level to civilians if they choose to and many do.  Myself and others have recommended on this forum before to try and purchase your ammo through LE distributors and have even linked several on posts so that everyone would be aware and could do that.  It's a tremendous cost savings.  Remington by the way also uses the dual network distribution method and includes both their Police line of firearms as well as their 50 round boxes of ammo in the LE distribution line.   Their commercial variety of the same ammo comes in 25 rd boxes.   While their LE line of firearms are supposed to be for LE departments, commercial sellers who have a customer base who wants them can get them by ordering through a LE distributor but the cost to them is higher than they would be if they were included in the commercial line.

There are others who advocate taking their trade to the local retail outlet because they want to see them stay in business.
That's laudable in thought but very expensive in practice.  Not only are you paying a larger price for less product but you are paying tax in addition.   While you pay shipping on orders done through a LE distributor if he is a large distance away consider the cost.   I recently got 1000 rds of Speer 124 Grain Gold Dot from SGA.  All in 50 rd boxes and the shipping was $14 for the case.   Figuring out that the shipping came to $0.70 per box on that order that means that a box of ammo instead of being $23.50 per box was $24.20.   The shipping therefore was less than the tax would have been if I had paid it locally by a considerable margin.   My local tax rate is close to 9%.    Locally I would have had to pay around $20 for a box of 20 rounds plus the 9% tax.   That means I would have paid $21.80 for 20 rds instead of $24.20 for 50 rounds.   You figure out which is the better deal.   It doesn't take a lot of mental gymnastics to do that.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 06:28:58 PM by flintsghost »
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms

Offline margator

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 08:41:54 AM »
Thx 4 clearing it up! im not the smartest guy in the world but I do get the math on this one :D

Offline mwbgtb

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 01:03:33 PM »
Thanks for all of the replys on the ammo. I thought that there could have been different powder used or a different type of material made for the speer rounds. I went ahead and purchased 4 boxes of the 50 rd box and they came in today,