Author Topic: PA Hospital shooting  (Read 5466 times)

Offline roeahe

PA Hospital shooting
« on: July 27, 2014, 02:21:33 PM »
Hospital Doctor who stopped a gunman used a .32  Seecamp that he carried for years despite rules that only allowed security people to be armed

bamboobob

Re: PA Hospital shooting
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 02:36:28 PM »
I think he was OK under State rules.
Lets hope his work place is OK with him and changes rules.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 10:00:58 PM by bamboobob »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 09:22:04 AM »
Most hospitals, mine included, do not allow weapons.  Mine weapon is usually in my vehicle when I'm at work.  As hospitals and medical offices become more and more dangerous because of disaffected patients, especially those troubled by substance abuse and by inflated expectations promulgated by our "progressive" liberals, concealed carry by medical workers would seem to be the best way of protecting workers and patients.  Some of the most dangerous places in the world now are sub-Saharan Africa, eastern Ukraine, large parts of the Middle East, and any gun-free zone in the U.S.A.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »
In Illinois, when the carry law was being written, state representative Naomi Jakobsson led an effort to ban concealed carry at hospitals and had the gall to say that she was making hospitals safer, her proposal eventually made it into the Illinois concealed carry act, disarming nurses, technicians and other hospital and clinic employees - including anyone who worked at a veterinarian's office and she had the audacity to declare that she was making hospitals safer.

She never bothered to check to see how many nurses or other hospital employees are assaulted in Illinois going to and from work, she never attempted to see if a ban at hospitals and clinics ever made those places safer, she just relied on her self-righteous arrogance and declared it to be so.

If you can find a video of her stumbling through her defense of the measure - it is a joke.  She couldn't answer even the most simple question about her proposed amendment without turning to her nearby LCAV prompters for the answer, which she then attempted to repeat verbatim to the house floor.

- was any study done to see how many doctors, nurses, medical technicians etc, were assaulted, robbed or raped on the way to and from their vehicles? In the last 3 years 5 years? Any crime statistics gathered?

- was any study done to determine what things factor into hospital employees being safe? ie: number of security staff, armed guards versus unarmed guards, proximity of employee parking lot to building entrances, number and location of security cameras, amount of lighting etc.. ?

- are there currently mandates for hospitals and or clinics to meet certain standards for exterior and parking lot lighting, security cameras and or security staff, or other standards that would be deemed (by a study) to enhance safety?

NO.

- if no study was done to assess if hospitals and clinics throughout the state are safe or not and no study was done to determine what factors make them safer or less safe, how can a legislator purport to be making hospitals safer?

- if the true intent was to make hospitals safer, does the state have a set of recommendations for Illinois hospitals?

No the state of Illinois, after having disarmed everyone who works in the medical profession, made no attempt to address their safety concerns.  Under state law, both the accountant and the car mechanic have the right to self defense, but doctors and nurses do not.

- if the true intent was to make hospitals safer, why didn't the law have funding to help hospitals implement enhanced safety measures?

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 10:13:59 PM »

Beats me.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 11:26:43 PM »
Count, points well made!  It is clear that the armed and ready psychiatrist saved many lives including his own by ignoring a stupid rule...unfortunately he'll probably suffer the consequence of having done so. 

Liberals all seem to live in LaLa Land where wishes (and mind-altering substances?) make dreams come true.  I blame Walt Disney for some of America's problems...he convinced several generations that Bambi gave a damn, that mice are just funny little people (ignoring leptospirosis, bubonic plague, and other vermin-born illness), that bacon comes from grocery stores but not from slaughtered pigs, and that a prince on a white horse will happen along to rescue even the dumbest fair damsel from a life of flipping burgers and watching soap operas.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 11:48:06 PM »

They are not all concentrated on the left coast; they are more than counter balanced on the least coast which is closer to Darby PA, the sit of this almost very tragic incident. Kudos to the very alert and prepared Psychiatrist. 

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 08:54:22 AM »
Local media is reporting that the gunman has been charged.  They are also reporting that the psychiatrist is still on staff at the hospital and that the hospital is looking forward to his return to serving their patients.

"The hospital released a statement Friday saying it was thankful for the “brave and difficult action” taken by Silverman and his colleagues. The statement said the doctor remains a full member of the medical staff. “We look forward to Dr. Silverman’s return to serving patients at our hospital,” said a Mercy Health System spokesperson."

http://www.delcotimes.com/general-news/20140725/hospital-shooting-suspect-to-face-1st-degree-murder-charge

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 02:38:09 PM »
Holy Crap ! !  Common Sense IS still alive among at least ONE hospital administration!

Additionally to the COunt's point...What are ER Doctors, nurses and staff supposed to do when the gang-banger who just tried to kill the other gang-banger(on the gurney) decides to come back and finish the job and take the witnesses out at the same time??  >:(

I firmly believe most hospitals would not be as understanding for a violation of policy....even though a tragedy was prevented.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 08:59:18 PM »
As an intern in a Richmond, Va. hospital I walked out of a suture room and a banger holding the waiting room at bay turned and put a pistol against my nose...we eventually talked him down.  Same year, the police brought in a gang member on a stretcher handcuffed and foot cuffed to the stretcher.  They removed the cuffs and left him, at which time I examined him and removed a pistol strapped to his ankle.  We've had nut cases waving pistols on the hospital floors at times, so far without consequence.  The very places where innocent workers are most at risk are those that require them to be unarmed victims.  Many of us carry where we shouldn't...no telling how many or who as nobody advertises it.  Marte Suo Tutus.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 09:41:14 PM »
Exactly my point.  How stupid and short sighted...and just for political correctness' sake alone.

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 10:08:58 PM »
If you think about a wacko's mentality they will seek out the most vulnerable and/or most densely populated areas to kill and do harm to the most people, viz., shopping centers; theaters; schools; hospitals, universities; military bases, courts, restaurants, office buildings, stores, trains, airplanes, children's camps, etc.

My favorite places to avoid after dark are the gas pumps and ATMs.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 11:35:58 PM by tracker »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 06:34:49 PM »
Very interesting read wildmanwill

newtab:http://www.delcotimes.com/general-news/20140725/hospital-shooting-suspect-to-face-1st-degree-murder-charge

Thanks for the link!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 08:20:48 PM »
My shrink said I had 20 hrs of unpaid invoices. I told him to f***-Off. He said come in and see him, but now I am wondering if he is 'packing'?

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 09:14:19 AM »
I certainly hope so!
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis