Author Topic: Modification to Meco rear pocket holster  (Read 2799 times)

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
Modification to Meco rear pocket holster
« on: April 29, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
I've been making various attempts at front pocket carry in Wrangler relaxed fit jeans.  I am finally happy with a Meco rear pocket holster and my own anti-print panel.

The problem is the R9 is right at the limit I believe for jeans pockets.  The original anti-print panel is a somewhat thick rectangle of leather.  It adds just enough thickness to be uncomfortable, plus the flat inner edge causes a 90 degree bend in the pants leg and just looks suspicious.

I tried without the anti-print panel and it felt MUCH nicer.  The inner edge was smooth like a wallet and it thinned the setup just enough.  The problem is, while sitting and upon standing up there was an obvious dip in the denim.  The dip an anti-print panel prevents.

Below are pictures of what I came up with.  No laughing at my lack of leather skills. :-)

I bought a piece of scrap leather about half the thickness of the original anti-print panel, but the stiffest I could find.  I cut it to follow the line where the holster thickens on the inside to about the trigger, then along the edge of the leather above that.

I then cut another small piece to add support to the outer edge between the holster and the pistol.  I glued this with weatherstrip adhesive.  Hey, I said no laughing at my leather skills. :-)

This setup is fantastic.  It adds minimal thickness to the holster, and no extra width.  It really does look like a wallet now.  The meandering edge of the anti-print panel can be felt, but it doesn't show through the jeans at all.

Offline robertmeco

• Sharpshooter
Re: Modification to Meco rear pocket holster
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 12:26:27 PM »
Glad to see you  made the holster work for you. If you would like to have the added piece shaped and dyed send it to me and I will be glad to do that for you ( no charge ) just pay postage thank you Robert  www.mecopocketholsters.com
robertmeco

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 02:28:45 PM »
I will probably take it to a local leather shop so I won't be without it, but thank you for the generous offer!

You are welcome to refine this and offer it as an option for the R9 version of your holster if you like.  I would certainly have bought it this way if I had seen it on your web site and realized the standard panel would be an issue.

About the only thing I'm not totally happy with is the little stiffening piece.  I can see catching a finger nail on the edge trying to draw in a panic.  Maybe angling the top edge a bit more, or using something thinner but still stiff enough would help.  Maybe it's even possible to find stiffer leather for the whole panel than I used, but without adding thickness.

Offline slashsplat

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 03:48:49 AM »
Having had excellent customer service from Hidden Holsters and K&D, and with Meco's offer, it seems like the leather workers may be some of the few humans who know how to satisfy customers...  (Them and Maria at Rohr...)
NRA Life Member - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Member: ARFCOM Platinum - JPFO - GOA - CCRKBA - USCCA - GeorgiaCarry.org
Μολὼν λαβέ