Author Topic: Range Practice Surrogate  (Read 13117 times)

Offline Craigt

• Sharpshooter
Range Practice Surrogate
« on: December 29, 2010, 06:18:45 AM »
Any thoughts on what gun makes a good range practice stand-in for the R-9?  25 to 50 rounds from the R-9 in one session is plenty for me.

I have been looking into 22LR for the obvious reason of least expensive ammo.

The Sig Mosquito looks very good as does the Walther P22 but both of these are larger than the R-9 and are DA/SA.  I would prefer to use a SA only if possible.

If the sights were removed from the Sig the profile of the slide is similar to the R-9 (no sights) helping to provide a similar sight picture.  The Walther is rather different in contour.

I was looking at a used Beretta Bobcat.  Small.  Looks like good quality.  The sights are small.  Still DA/SA.

What do you folks use for range practice?  Do you try to use a gun with similar size and operation to the R-9?  Or just use whatever you have available?

Any thoughts on techniques and specific practice guns is most appreciated.

Craig T.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Range Practice Surrogate
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 08:39:21 AM »
Craig:

After running a magazine through my R9 just to maintain familiarity, I'll use this NAA Guardian .380 as the "stand-in" for extended DAO range practice. It's built like a tank, will run as long as I have .380 ACP ammo with me and care to keep loading magazines, and saves wear and tear on my highly prized EDC weapon.

[BLING ALERT, BRENDEN!  8) ]

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Craigt

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 08:55:32 AM »
Always love seeing your photos Richard!  Thanks for the thoughts.

I have a Colt Pony .380 that I carried for years.  Almost the exact size as the R9.  That might be the best range stand-in.  Just researching a bit further in case there is something better.  

Last time I shot the Pony the recoil spring was so weak it would not properly cycle the slide so it does need a little work.  The trigger pull is very high but it is DAO.  If I remove the rear sight it has a rounded profile on top similar to the R9.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 10:17:18 AM »
Craig:

I almost purchased a Colt Pony DAO some years ago but went with a Mustang single-action instead. Should have purchased both.

Numrich currently has in stock three (3) recoil springs for the single-action Pony but lists none for the DAO version.  I frankly don't know whether the two models use the same recoil spring, but at $4.50 it might be worth a shot (pun intended  ;) ).

http://gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=7351
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 11:18:47 PM »

Craig T.

The Sig Mosquito is unacceptable to me because I bought one and returned it for a trade the next week. The trigger is too rough and it is just not very good quality. On the other hand, the Beretta Bobcat is first rate and I highly recommend it. Also, another excellent .22 choice is the Ruger Mark II or the Mark III if you can't find the Mark II. The main difference between the two Rugers is in takedown and reassembly.

Offline Craigt

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 05:46:24 AM »
Richard,
I was looking in my supply drawers and found that I had purchased several sets of Wolff springs.  Forgot about them.  Looks like the Pony is ready to go.

Tracker,
Thanks for the input.  Sure is disappointing that a Sig would be anything less than perfect.

Is the Mark II easier to takedown than the Mark III?  I like the Ruger but keep hearing that it is quite difficult to takedown for cleaning.

I am still interested in purchasing a .22 so any further thoughts are most welcomed.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 10:57:28 AM »
Yes, the takedown and reassembly of the MKII is easier than the MKIII but they are both difficult.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 10:58:02 AM by tracker »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 11:04:07 AM »
You may want to check out the Walther P-22, I have been happy with mine and they are pretty affordable.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 11:21:29 AM »
Craig.  I use a Glock 33, a .357 Sig compact for practice, and yes, just because I have it.  It acts like an R9 on steroids; has a little more kick, however, I like stuff with power.  I also have .22's and like shooting them; tracker and John makes good suggestions on those.

I do understand your interest in a .22.  I take mine along to the range and the woodpile along with the big stuff.  
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 07:05:01 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 10:46:04 AM »

Here is an interesting range surrogate option that has generated a lot of conversation. I don't own one but it does pique my interest.

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=842

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 11:03:30 AM »
why not try a Rohrbaugh K380 in .380acp, same size, shape & etc., only softer recoil.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 11:11:16 AM »
PMR 30.  Very interesting, indeed and 30 rd. magazines.  I like it.

http://www.gunblast.com/KelTec-PMR30-2.htm

There are several on GunBroker.  Here's one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=208975300#PIC
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 11:12:10 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 12:27:16 PM »
PMR 30.  Very interesting, indeed and 30 rd. magazines.  I like it.

http://www.gunblast.com/KelTec-PMR30-2.htm

There are several on GunBroker.  Here's one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=208975300#PIC

Interesting but as an inexpensive to shoot stand in for the pup there is not much of a cost savings on ammo like the OP was looking for. 22mag ammo is $10 - $13+ for 50 rounds.
  I think if you are going with something other than a 22LR you may as well go with the same caliber as the pup, you can get a Kel tec P-11 NIB for $199 as opposed to paying $575 for a 22mag :o. JMO :D

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 12:28:50 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 12:51:08 PM »
I know, but I was speaking for myself, as being interesting; guess I was being selfish.    ;)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 01:14:02 PM »
  It's hard to justify the cost of the mag vs the LR for paper punching, especially in a pistol. Shooting larger varmints or long range shooting there is a definite advantage to the mag.
  That's just me and to each his own.

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 01:14:50 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson