Author Topic: Range Practice Surrogate  (Read 13125 times)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Range Practice Surrogate
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 01:19:59 PM »
Again, just speaking for myself, I like it.  Probably won't get one, but it has somewhat of an intrique, for me.  As for the OP; I would stick with a .22LR for the inexpense.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 03:19:20 PM »
One can buy a 50 rd. box of .22 wmr for $7 in quantity and is quite a different shooting experience than a .22 lr. Most people wouldn't shoot more than 150 rds, or so in a session. I knew this one would stir up some discussion and that is one reason I posted it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 03:39:21 PM by tracker »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 03:43:49 PM »

Perhaps another surrogate option is buy a .22 conversion for whatever you have like a Glock, Sig, or 1911. There are many available similar to this one.

http://home.comcast.net/~shooter2_indy/aack.html

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 03:56:39 PM »
 I had a Ruger Convertible 22 LR/mag. a NAA mini 22LR/mag and a bolt action rifle in 22mag. There all gone. ;D
  I can get 525rds of the 22LR for $22 as apposed to 150 rds of 22mags for $21 not a hard choice if one is looking for an economical way to practice. :D
 kj if you don't already have one this would beat the hell out of a 22mag for high capacity fun shooting.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/17121

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010, 05:13:57 PM »
John.  I've had the ammo for this now for over a year and just haven't gotten around to purchasing the 5.7;  the speed of this bullet is something else.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2010, 05:55:19 PM »
Thats the other end of the spectrum for you, very little recoil, probably why you haven't got it. ;D ;D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2010, 06:44:47 PM »
Well, probably, although, the long range power of that speeding bullet is amazing.

Offline Craigt

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 09:33:40 AM »
Thanks for all the input folks.

Just to confirm, though I did not specify in my original post, my interest is first to have a practice gun that is not so punishing as the R9 and second to reduce cost of practice if possible.

A Rohrbaugh 380 would be the ultimate practice gun but I don't want to spend that much right now.

My Colt Pony 380 should be a good stand-in.  I am hoping to get to the range tonight to give it a try.  It has be a number of years since it has been shot.

I see a .22 in my not-so-distant future so any further input is most encouraged.

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 03:49:20 PM »
You can always have your PUP ported. This will help with recoil. You will still have to run quality ammo.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 06:48:45 PM »
Oviously using the real thing is best.  Something close, is not bad.

Just shooting regularly, going through motions safely and using good tactics will pay off as well.

Basically, shoot what 'cha got, when ya can, where ya can, as much as ya can.  :D

And have fun. ;D
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Craigt

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 05:21:03 PM »
I was able to take the Colt Pony 380 to the range last night.  The Pony shot well, mostly.  Two stove pipes out of 56 rounds, not sure why.  Other than that the recoil spring seemed to cycle the slide.  Accuracy is good.  Much less punishing than the R9.

For those who have not shot a Pony, the trigger has a very high force.  When I researched reducing the force years ago, the input that I received was that any reduction in the hammer spring force would result in un-reliable primer ignition.

For now the Pony will be my new practice stand-in gun.  I would not be surprised though if a Rohrbaugh 380 finds its way into my posession sometime in the future.

Craig T.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 05:34:32 PM »
Craig,
   Sounds like a good solution to your problem for now.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 05:58:04 PM »
Craig.  You have done well and saved yourself some bucks.  Don't forget that .22 though.    :)

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 06:30:37 PM »
Maybe a 380 should be your carry gun . I carry a kel tec 380 at times in a neck holster. 380's are selling like crazy in gun stores now. Kel Tec's are low cost but reliable.

I have shot handguns for 50 years and an instructor since 1976. I believe you should practice  with THE GUN or guns you will carry.

Small Colt autos have had a history of reliability issues. :)
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 07:06:45 PM »

I see that the P-3AT now has a 9 round magazine available. That might not work in a neck holster, though.