Author Topic: my new bobergs..  (Read 10887 times)

Offline Auto.default

Re: my new bobergs..
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 10:45:37 PM »
cwc, that's excellent news, only 1 problem in 700 rounds.. anyway, here's the winchester ammo that i had bought (from wallyworld, aka, walmart) and used today..

PUP = perfect undercover pistol

Offline Auto.default

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 07:19:26 PM »

UPDATE:  put 45 rounds through the boberg today w/ decent ammo, all at 7 yards.. no malfunctions (gun wise) and no powder showers.. but i did have 2 failures to fire, w/ the critical defense rounds..

first mag w/ golden sabers..

second mag w/ golden sabers..

next mags w/ hornady TAP..

last mag w/ hornady critical defense..

and finished off the session w/ the rohrbaugh.. she fed all of the remaining rounds w/ no malfunctions either, finally.. btw, i'm still waiting for the gold dots to arrive..  
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 07:20:36 PM by Auto.default »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 07:33:49 PM »
Very good shootin' there, Auto.  Thanks for the update!  Excellent!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 09:10:39 PM »
That's good news.  That CD ammo seems to do that with several guns.  I got a package from Boberg Arms yesterday that had a heavy spring to be able to handle those hard primers.  I like the 5.5lb spring that came with it as long as I dont have any problems with it.  Love that Boberg!

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 07:56:21 AM »
I have never had a gun that had a history of tearing rounds apart. Not real sure about that little fact when it comes to a carry gun. Hate to feel like "I hope it works" when it is needed.  Interesting gun. Was concidering getting on the list. hmmmmm

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 08:54:38 AM »
Unfired rounds have always been 'pushed' before and never 'pulled backwards' out of a magazine.  Without a cannelure in the bullet, crimping has very little affect in tightening the case grip on the bullet in my opinion.   Especially on a round that head spaces on the case mouth.

I would be curious to hear what an ammunition manufacturer's opinion is on this.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 09:15:44 AM »
It looks like time will tell what ammo will hold together with the backwards action.
I don't see ammo manufactures making any changes to the 9mm round that has worked since 1901, for one limited production gun.
  For a CCW I don't think I would like the thought in the back of my mind that a cartridge may pull apart when the gun was needed. :o
   There not the first manufacturer to have issues with a new product and won't be the last.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rodell

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 12:12:16 PM »
Without a cannelure in the bullet, crimping has very little affect in tightening the case grip on the bullet in my opinion.   Especially on a round that head spaces on the case mouth.

From my personal experience, the reverse is true.  I have found you can "taper crimp" to different levels and still retain the ability to space off of the case mouth.  This can be done with a longer crimp or a tighter crimp.  As long as there is a ridge for spacing, it still works.

I had to experiment when switching to plated bullets for practice - no crimps there even on revolver rounds.  I started using a taper crimp when playing with different length cartridges.

I do agree the manufacturers won't do anything to accommodate the Boberg.  There must be quite the grip on the bullet to pull it out in the magazine.  EEZOX to the rescue?

Only one gun from enough ...

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
Good comments about the bullet pulling.

Without doing a complete major redesign, Boberg will probably tweak the  mag spring a light as possible  so as do away with the "vice grip" principle which is causing the problem.

Without holding one in my hands, I would think the next thing to look at would be the angle of attack of the bullet - so new, longer, or shorter mags may be needed.
Now, I'm just talking very small incremental changes on length.

It's all about too much tension.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 08:41:30 PM »
I understand some of the concerns with bullet separation.  I had one come apart on me.   I now have 814 rounds thru my Boberg and had that 1 problem. It has run 99.877% thus far. That seems pretty good to me!  Even if this turns into a ammo select gun, like many others (R9), knowing NOT to use a certain ammo is not the death of a gun.  If you know going into it not to use "ammo X" I don't see a major problem, just don't use "ammo X".  I do own a Boberg and I can see where my thoughts might be interpreted as defensiveness but I'm just trying to look at the big picture.  I know what ammo my Seecamp eats, I know what ammo my Rohrbaugh eats and i'm learning what ammo the Boberg runs on.  I now know to pull a brush through the chamber after a hundred rounds + or - so thats not a big deal.  

I don't want "that thought" in the back of my mind either.   I am in the process of figuring out what it likes.  So far that has been very easy.  1 no go in 814 ain't bad.  We will see what happens but so far FOR ME I love the Boberg.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 10:04:30 PM »
Corey, I hope that you did not think that my analytical comments were dogging the Boberg.  I meant no slander what so ever.
As a manufacturer myself, I would think that, that is a serious enough of an issue to be  looked into.
Maybe, a brush through the chamber every 100 rounds or less is enough to smooth things out to ease the tension to prevent the vice grip principle on the bullet.
I for one, sure hope that IS the easy fix.  I would like to get a Boberg myself in the future.  I am more of a wait and see kind of a guy.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline TBI

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
Anyone have a Boberg they want to sell.  Email me at: rgbpi@optonline.net

Offline Auto.default

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 02:28:42 PM »
cwc, excellent post... I love my bobergs as well... and as of this moment, I trust the boberg more than the r9.. will be putting more rounds through her this weekend..

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 04:21:25 PM »
 I still may get on the list for a Boberg but will continue to carry my Nighthawk T-3 and R9 until I hear of the cure for the Bullet disassembly issues (Not sure I need a semi automatic bullet puller). I am not a fan of being sprayed with powder :)

Chief
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 04:36:41 PM by Chief-USN »
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 06:53:09 PM »
I'm thinking seven weeks and counting;  maybe............ :D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln