Author Topic: Blacked out Rohrbaugh ?  (Read 11211 times)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Blacked out Rohrbaugh ?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 06:07:00 AM »
Brownells has some bake on finishes that turn out well for considerable less money than KG.  I use KG products in my business and they are very good, but expensive.

I have one old beater pistol that I used the bake on finish from Brownells and it is not bad.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=finish/t=P/ksubmit=y/Products/All/search=finish

Good Luck
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 11:12:47 AM »
You didn't say anything about black screws, so I didn't mention those.  I also second Trackers' comments; sell this one and buy a Stealth.  More expensive, but more do-able.

He probably has the Stealth, that's why he didn't mention wanting to black-out the slide.

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 02:58:59 AM »
Brownells has some bake on finishes that turn out well for considerable less money than KG.  I use KG products in my business and they are very good, but expensive.

I have one old beater pistol that I used the bake on finish from Brownells and it is not bad.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=finish/t=P/ksubmit=y/Products/All/search=finish

Good Luck

Could the slide go in the oven without removing the firing pin and the rest of the internal parts in the slide. It says 300° F. for one hour. can the slide internals take that without damaging anything?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 03:00:39 AM by Joe_from_NY »

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 03:35:29 AM »
I do not know what the temp threshold for springs is before the tension goes or they go brittle.  But I personally would not risk it.
It is usually easy enough for most guns to disassemble the slide.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 03:36:38 AM by Reinz »

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 03:40:25 AM »
Could the slide on an R9 be disassembled by someone without any small precision tools usually used to work on guns? Do the internal slide parts come out easy?

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 04:42:58 PM »
You need a punch to push firing in from the back  and then slide out the firing pin block.  You could get by with a small diameter phillips head screwdriver or such, but a punch is best.

Also need a very small diameter punch to drive out the pin holding in the extractor.  Probably 1/16".    Also need to place the slide in a padded vice to do this without messing up your slide.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 04:58:59 PM »
If you are going to order the coating from Brownells, you might as well order  the punches too.