Author Topic: New Toy  (Read 4719 times)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
New Toy
« on: October 04, 2011, 07:05:37 PM »
I just bought a new toy to play with when I get back home. ;D
  I came across a deal I couldn't pass up.
It's a Marlin 1894 Stainless Steel with a 16 1/2" barrel in 44mag, laminated stock, Lever Scout scope mount with Leupold FX-11 2.5x28, Custom trigger and action work.

It is a limited edition model only 351 were made for Davidson.
The model is 1894SS-44-LTD one just like it (no scope) sold on Gun Broker for $834 just a couple days ago, I gave $550 for this one. ;D

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 07:06:33 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: New Toy
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 07:12:31 PM »
Excellent deal, there, John.  Nice Marlin!  Something to look forward to!    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 07:16:57 PM »
Yes in deed, I also bought a S&W 629 with a 3" barrel just before we left and only had time to put five rounds through it, then I sent it out to get some bling. ;D It will be back when I get home.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 07:22:57 PM »
Ahhh, the 629; very nice.  I do like those short barrels; now with some bling.  You'll have to bring that to lunch!    :D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 10:52:25 AM »
Nice Setup, great deal ! Win Win

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 05:33:38 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing and shooting it when I get home, I may remove the scope and put on a peep sight set up.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 01:07:48 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing and shooting it when I get home, I may remove the scope and put on a peep sight set up.

That is a great carbine you scored there, John. Like you, if it were mine, I think I might remove the telescopic scope and install a peep sight. It's just a personal preference of mine, but I find it a bit incongruous to install telescopic sights on short-barreled carbines. In fact, the sight mount of my IMI Timberwolf .357 pump carbine was ground off before the piece was refinished in Wilson Armor-Tuff®. (I realize that many reasonable minds will differ on the subject of scopes for short-barreled firearms -- especially those who enjoy hunting with scoped handguns.)

Let us know how it works for you when you return from "The Grand Tour."
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 05:14:52 PM »
I just think an 1894 should have e peep sight, the scope doesn't even look like it belongs on a lever gun. I know with out a doubt I can shoot better with the scope but I'm not looking for long range bullseye shooting with it. Also I think the peep will be quicker to acquire for close shooting.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 07:42:19 PM »
I just think an 1894 should have e peep sight, the scope doesn't even look like it belongs on a lever gun. I know with out a doubt I can shoot better with the scope but I'm not looking for long range bullseye shooting with it. Also I think the peep will be quicker to acquire for close shooting.

I think you're right, John; the .44 Mag doesn't need the scope.  I can just see the Rossi Ranch Hand bearing one.    ;D  Course now, I know they're two different guns. :D

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 04:11:51 AM »
I think the Mares Leg would be a little awkward to use a scope on, maybe a red dot or laser.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 02:56:31 PM »
I think the Mares Leg would be a little awkward to use a scope on, maybe a red dot or laser.

Definitely don't want a scope on rhe Ranch Hand.    :D

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 12:48:42 PM »
I have two guns that I purchased after I left waiting for me at home and my 629 that was sent out for some Bling will be back this week, can't wait to get back and play with my new toys. ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 01:18:19 PM »
I want to see 'em both; maybe you can bring them to lunch when you get back.   Continue to enjoy the countries.     :)

Oh!  Mine should be here in about three weeks; new toy, that is!     :)

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 01:20:52 PM by kjtrains »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 02:27:30 PM »
kj, I'm sure we can do that and you can bring your new toy.

We are headed to Rome in the morning, should be there about lunch time. :D Looking forward to Rome.
 Paris was nice, lots of great sights but if you don't speak French most are not overly eager to try and communicate with you.
  I guess they forgot who outfitted them with M4A2 and M4A4 Tanks & modern weapons in 1943. ;D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 02:29:06 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
Sounds great, John and do enjoy Rome; time is just a flying by.  I know what you mean by the communication aspect; went through the same thing.    :)