Author Topic: Polygonal rifling  (Read 7472 times)

Offline Paveway

Polygonal rifling
« on: October 23, 2006, 04:34:32 PM »
Could this help increase velocities in the pup? It seems to work for Glock and H&K, where an increased instrumented velocity has been recorded for commercial ammo. But would keyholing increase? What about accuracy, better or worse? Have the brothers R ever researched this?

Offline kn308

• NRA Life Member
Re: Polygonal rifling
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 05:07:35 PM »
Polygonal rifling seals better enabling better performance than cut rifling.  Problem with polygonal rifling is the bullet markings make it almost impossible to say that bullet come from that gun.  Handguns manufacturers that want to be approved for use by the large police departments have to furnish standard rifling to enable the investigators to determine which bullet went where.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 11:51:06 AM »
I'm not trying to be argumentative here, just an observation.

Since Glocks do have polygonal rifling and over 60% of the police departments in the U.S. issue Glocks as their primary weapon, then this statement does not seem to hold water---

Polygonal rifling seals better enabling better performance than cut rifling.  Problem with polygonal rifling is the bullet markings make it almost impossible to say that bullet come from that gun.  Handguns manufacturers that want to be approved for use by the large police departments have to furnish standard rifling to enable the investigators to determine which bullet went where.

Or maybe I'm just not interpeting it correctly, if so, sorry.

Reinz
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 11:53:17 AM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kn308

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 06:53:19 PM »
Glocks have a 5.5 pound trigger pull.  NYC Glocks have an 11 pound trigger pull.  Beretta catalog has never listed magazine safety as an option for the 92D but 92D with magazine safety was manufactured.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 11:31:48 AM »
So I guess what you are saying is that trigger pulls and magazine safeties superceded ballistics for most of the LE Departments across the country?

I guess that is possible, you never really know how the powers that be actually come up with their decisions.

Reinz
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 11:57:49 AM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kn308

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 04:31:49 PM »
not most just a few large organizations that purchased sufficient number at one time to justify modifying the assembly line.  the first 45 ACP glocks issued in california were not assembly line products but more of a semi custom shop development.  the armorers were having fits because of the breakage rate and requirement to hand fit replacement parts.

Offline Hk-Itch

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 08:01:53 PM »
 ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 08:17:21 PM »
Doing something to keep an investigator from having to be overworked is the worst reason in the world to think of it.   I would now vote for polygonal rifling just to keep them thinking.  For every advance in technology there is an answer in scientific recreation of a scene.   There just needs to be a reason why someone needs to work on it and develop a solution.    And I'm a retired LEO.  
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms

Offline jmoh

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 01:04:29 PM »
Most police agencies use Glocks unaltered. A few, including Miami PD, have special cuts in the barrels to enable identification of projectiles.