Author Topic: A cop pulls you over and you’re armed. What are you supposed to do? Massad Ayoob  (Read 7692 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Opinions and feelings aside, it may be wise to comply with your state law on this subject; there appear to be quite a few variances from state to state.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Tennessee law on the subject is as follows:

T.C.A. 39-17-1351(n)(1)
Except as provided in subdivision (n)(2), a permit issued pursuant to
this section shall be good for four (4) years and shall entitle the
permit holder to carry any handgun or handguns that the permit holder
legally owns or possesses. The permit holder shall have the permit in
the holder’s immediate possession at all times when carrying a handgun
and shall display the permit on demand of a law enforcement officer.

T.C.A. 39-17-1351(t)
Any law enforcement officer of this state or of any county or
municipality may, within the realm of the officer’s lawful jurisdiction
and when the officer is acting in the lawful discharge of the officer’s
official duties, disarm a permit holder at any time when the officer
reasonably believes it is necessary for the protection of the permit
holder, officer or other individual or individuals. The officer shall
return the handgun to the permit holder before discharging the permit
holder from the scene when the officer has determined that the permit
holder is not a threat to the officer, to the permit holder, or other
individual or individuals provided that the permit holder has not
violated any provision of this section and provided the permit holder
has not committed any other violation that results in the arrest of the
permit holder.

However, regardless of the lack of any requirement to disclose your permit initially, in Tennessee it's pretty much a moot question since your Driver License and Handgun Carry Permit bear the same number and are linked in the computer system of the Department of Public Safety.  As soon as an officer runs your DL through the laptop computer in his cruiser he will see your HCP.  I've therefore always handed both my DL and HCP to the LEOs when caught up in road blocks or traffic stops, advising the officers where the handgun(s) is (are) located and asking how they want to proceed.  With that practice, I've never had any problems.         
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 05:18:41 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
I got pulled over for speeding in Michigan and I handed the
MI State Policteman both my license and CPL.  He asked me if there was a gun in the car and I said "Yes". He asked me where it was and I told him it was in the center console.  He told me to "Just leave it there." 

Another time I was on my way to work at 0445 and I forgot to tell the officer about my CPL.  When he returned to my car, I told him I had forgotten to mention my CPL.  He said "It doesn't matter, it expired two months ago". Oops. He asked me if I was carrying and luckily I wasn't.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master

Now, there is a good thought; if your license to carry has expired by all means don't volunteer disclosure.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
A cop pulls you over and you’re armed. What are you supposed to do?
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2015, 05:29:45 PM »
In Illinois the police officer definitely appreciates knowing you're carrying.

I got pulled over and the first thing I showed the officer was my CCL.  He asked me where the gun was, I told him and he said  "OK, don't reach for your gun, do me a favor and keep your hands on the steering wheel."

Then he gave me a ticket for expired plates :(
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 05:32:27 PM by C0untZer0 »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Another good thought:  If you have a CC permit, keep to the speed limit, make sure your plates and insurance, etc. are current, make sure your lights all work, and try not to have gunpowder and alcohol fumes in the vehicle at the same time. 

Sadly, I have trouble with the first one, and have fairly often had a glass of wine with dinner at a restaurant while carrying a weapon in the vehicle on the way home.  Nobody's perfect, right?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master

All good thoughts and great reminders.

bamboobob

In MI one MUST notify first thing.
Handing it is not enough (officially)
If no gun       best to notify CPL   / no gun
       They may already know of CPL or may soon know.
         They may wonder. It may re-assure them (CPL = good guy / clean record )

I was once chastised for not having one!

I got pulled over for speeding in Michigan and I handed the
MI State Policteman both my license and CPL.  He asked me if there was a gun in the car and I said "Yes". He asked me where it was and I told him it was in the center console.  He told me to "Just leave it there." 

Another time I was on my way to work at 0445 and I forgot to tell the officer about my CPL.  When he returned to my car, I told him I had forgotten to mention my CPL.  He said "It doesn't matter, it expired two months ago". Oops. He asked me if I was carrying and luckily I wasn't.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 10:56:28 PM by bamboobob »