Author Topic: problem with round in chamber  (Read 17421 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: problem with round in chamber
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2019, 10:22:36 AM »
I saw a recent video somewhere that discussed “rim lock” in the .32 ACP.  Try tapping the back of the loaded magazine on a flat surface before inserting...?  Doubt this is the problem,  but no harm in checking it out.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2019, 06:57:33 PM »
Hello giansant,

I have been out of state on a mini-vacation with some friends since last Friday, so sorry I haven't checked in until now.

Being Wilson worked on these R9's after we built them, I would certainly call and ask someone at Wilson if they would have a look at the gun for you. I don't know exactly what they did after they got the pistols, but they may be able to help.

I can not do anything at this point being retired and without any license to be of much help, sorry to say.

Let us know if Wilson Combat can do anything for you.

Regards,

Eric C. Rohrbaugh
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline giansant

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2019, 08:56:27 PM »
Hi Eric - thanks for your information. I did speak to Steve Kelley @ Wilson Combat. Apparently he's the gunsmith who did all the work on the Coverts. He said he would work on the gun so I'm going to go the range one more time and try a couple of different ammos, as recommended by the posters here. If that doesn't work then I'll send it to Mr. Kelly.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2019, 10:37:55 PM »
I must say that is extremely nice of Steve to offer to work on the Covert for you. That shows pride in what they did with our R9 pistols.

Keep us posted on the outcome please. Thank you!

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2019, 09:34:01 PM »
I had this thread confused with the William's thread.  When I read the other thread, at first I was wondering how he got the gun back from Wilson so fast.

Offline giansant

Re: problem with round in chamber - SOLVED
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2019, 08:22:12 PM »
Well, I think I got the problem solved. Turns out that the trigger spring was loose. I started to notice a "hitch" in the trigger pull, and all of a sudden the trigger just went limp. I took off the grips and the spring was just sitting there. I put a fresh spring on and took it to the range. Put about 40 rounds down range - Magtech, Hornaday Defense and American Eagle Target & Range ammo all shot flawlessly. Remington UMC put down ten rounds, with one stovepipe (but no problem with the rounds seating into the barrel.) Considering that those ammos are not necessarily the ones always recommended, and that they shot fine save for the Remington, I'm thinking I'm in good shape. I did have a tough time getting the loop of the new trigger spring on but finally got it to fit. (If anyone has advice on making that an easier process, I'd be grateful for the information.) Also, when I went to remove the grips I noticed those were loose. Don't know what that was and I'm not sure but I'm thinking that perhaps that could have led to some of my problems - I don't know if the grip is meant to hold the trigger spring in place. Anyway, many thanks to all that commented, and good shooting!

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2019, 08:57:11 PM »
The grip will help to hold the trigger spring in place. I recall that a small flathead screwdriver was helpful to pry open the loop and pop it in to place. You are not the first to experience difficulty with reattaching the trigger spring. That is a good reason not to remove the grips just to take a look at it but I am glad that solved the problem. On the flip side it is a good practice not to torque the grip screws so tight that you strip the screw heads trying to remove them.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 10:49:25 AM by tracker »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2019, 03:01:02 PM »
ALSO, please note that the R9 grip screws tend to get loose after as few as 20 to 30 rounds are fired.  I keep tightening them at the range if I shoot more than 20. When cleaning the pistol, if the grips are removed, run a pipe cleaner into the grip screw holes to remove oil.  Some have put a touch of clean nail polish on the screw, or the removable version of loktight, but I do not recommend this...if the screw is too firmly in place you will strip the screw head and then you are really screwed (pun intended).
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline giansant

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2019, 06:45:26 PM »
I did already have a small problem with one of the four screws - not completely stripped but starting to get there. Does anyone know where I could purchase replacement screws?

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2019, 07:06:58 PM »
I don't know where to obtain the screws except from William's Gunsight Co. I highly recommend a Hudy screwdriver for best results and avoiding screw damage.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2019, 09:34:00 PM »
Yes, Williams would be the place for grip screws at this point.

Offline giansant

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2019, 08:08:12 PM »
I don't know where to obtain the screws except from William's Gunsight Co. I highly recommend a Hudy screwdriver for best results and avoiding screw damage.

Any idea what size the screw is?

Offline giansant

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2019, 08:08:46 PM »
Yes, Williams would be the place for grip screws at this point.

Thanks - I don't see anything on their website - do I need to call them direct?

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2019, 08:17:18 PM »
Thanks - I don't see anything on their website - do I need to call them direct?

Yes call them, ask for Alex the Rohrbaugh guy. (there is another Alex, that does not deal with Rohrbaughs.)

They sell the grip screws for $5 a set, plus $15 for shipping.  They had both stainless and blued available last year when I ordered my replacements.

Good news is if you buy more stuff, you only get stuck with one shipping charge.

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2019, 10:00:07 PM »