Author Topic: New Covert to range today  (Read 3628 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
New Covert to range today
« on: September 27, 2011, 11:34:57 PM »
Took the Covert for first firing after thorough clean and lube on receipt from Rohrbaugh yesterday (it was dry as a bone on receipt).  Several things to note:
1.  Didn't have perceptively different trigger pull from my R9S
2.  Accurate, felt good to shoot
3.  As noted by others, after 50 rounds the black bolt started to show wear in the finish
4.  Trigger finger developed a blister on the side (inside) of the tip where the front of the trigger guard slapped it during recoil.  Similar problem in the middle digit of middle finger where the rear of the trigger guard slapped it..both were painful when shooting and I believe the problem has to do with the very fine roughness of the protective finish as this is not something I noted with my R9S.
5.  It fired Speer 124 Gold Dot and Lawman ammo without a hitch.
6.  It also fired Hornady Critical Defense with no problems
7.  BUT IT HAD PROBLEMS WITH REM. GOLDEN SABRE 124.  The first mag of 7 rounds had 3 failure to fire, 2 of which fired with 2nd trigger pull, but one didn't.  Fired 5 more and had one FFF.  Then put 5 in my R9S and had similar problem.  Primer strikes on the Sabres were wide and very shallow but with barely a dent in contrast to all the other ammo which revealed small sharp indentations in the primers.  I'm not sure how old the box of Golden Sabres was, but certainly 5 years or less.  The box may have been produced at the time when Hornady was having similar problems with hard primers I suppose, BUT WOULD RECOMMEND THOSE WHO CARRY FOR DEFENSE FIRE HALF A BOX OF THE SABRES FROM EACH BOX YOU USE.  Next time out I'll take a different box to see if this reproduces.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: New Covert to range today
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 10:39:54 AM »
Thanks for the range report, John.  The good thing is that the Covert fired the Speer 124 Gold Dots and the Lawman without any problems.  

A thin shooting glove may help with multiple firings in the future to save on getting a blister.  Just a thought.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: New Covert to range today
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 12:55:15 PM »
Thanks KJ, I have a glove but didn't have it in the range bag (put it in my hunting kit a few weeks ago).  I only took ammo other than gold dots because I had it sitting around and wanted to see how the Covert liked it, but I always carry the gold dots anyway.  I've really never had a problem with sabres in any other weapon, and when I first had an R9 it shot well in that.  May have just been a bad box of primers.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis