Author Topic: The Lint correction factor!  (Read 6386 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
The Lint correction factor!
« on: May 26, 2004, 01:20:11 AM »
Almost all pocket guns are prone to one thing...... lint!!  If I pocket carry I attempt to make sure it (pocket) is empty and ... clear of all that small lint collection, that after the laundy cycle .... almost always seems to to be there! :P

However ... lint seems to be a miracle material, that can generate itself outa nothing ... start with clean pocket and a while later .. lint!!  Of course, even the movement of a piece within a pocket is bound to generate some lint.

My R9S has yet to spend long periods in pocket but that is coming, with all our hot weather, so measures must be taken to control this PITA!  I guess for me .. it has to be a daily inspection ... and appropriate cleaning undertaken but - am interested to hear other's views on this .. means to minimize (pocket holsters help but don't prevent, totally) and methods of inspection and cleaning.

Maybe just a blast of compressed air?
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
Re: The Lint correction factor!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 01:27:48 AM »
"Canned Air"  should be of assistance in removing the lint.  However, it hasn't been of much concern with my P-3AT.  I doubt that typical lint collection will cause problems with the R9, or any other pocket pistol.
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 01:39:58 AM »
Agreed, I doubt the R9 will be too fussed but .. I have noticed (with my P95 and 97) .... that over time lint particles seem to work their way in amazingly ... thru the small spaces by the hammer typically.  I have not put to the test to see just how much can be tolerated but on balance think that I don't want to find out what is ''too much''!

Other concern .. and this would be so with R9 and any small pocket pistol .... is how much just might get into muzzle.  It would not represent a dangerous factor probably .. I mean with obstruction - over pressure etc but ... bottom line is .... the piece when needed must work .. flawlessly!

So - I remain aware ... perhaps too much.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 01:46:52 AM »
I am interested in others' perspectives on this too.

One thing I do -- is when I go to the range I always shoot my current pocket gun (P-3AT).  When I do, I pull it out of my pocket and shoot it in the condition it has been in during carry, just to make sure it would have gone boom if needed.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 08:12:43 AM »
An extra magazine carried BARE in a pocket can produce tons of lint,  and it will ALL end up in the magazine..
RJ=

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 08:15:05 AM »
Richard_S
Did you get my E-mail message about the magazine??
RJ=

Offline musician

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 02:15:58 PM »
I did the following for my NAA Guardian .380, and it has worked well keeping lint out of the gun:

Buy a sheet of Kydex (www.kovalknives.com) 12"x 12" is about $4 +s/h. Remove grips from unloaded gun and replace with other material about same thickness as grips (thin plywood, etc.) Cut Kydex to a size which, when folded over the gun, will give you top edges where ever you choose. Heat Kydex sheet in the oven at +/-350 degrees until it is soft and rubbery.  Remove it from oven, place gun on Kydex and fold Kydex over, molding it with your fingers (wear gloves: 350 degrees is HOT!) to the gun's shape.  Put a cold cloth on Kydex to cool it rapidly.  Remove gun.  Glue, then rivet, the holster edges together but leave the trigger guard area free of glue or rivet, or you can't get the gun in or out.  You can fine-tune the fit with a pocket torch or Bic lighter. Now you have a sealed pocket holster.  works for the Guardian.

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 03:04:28 PM »
An extra magazine carried BARE in a pocket can produce tons of lint,  and it will ALL end up in the magazine..

I use your magazine sleeve for my extra mag daily.....should we call it the "Hedley Prophylactic"???   ;D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 03:07:11 PM by flyandscuba »
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 11:31:59 PM »
Musician .. welcome! :)

Hmmm .. could be I am gonna have to play with some Kydex some day!
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site