Author Topic: 380 or R9 frame pin  (Read 18687 times)

Offline Leonardo

380 or R9 frame pin
« on: January 30, 2016, 06:15:15 PM »
I have a Remington RM380.  Unfortunately I lost the pin that you take out to field strip the gun.  I think it is called the frame pin.   And, even more unfortunately Remington will not have the part available for about 6 more months!!!!   Unbelievable!  Anyhow, I was wondering if any body here knew if the pin on either of the Rohrbaughs was the same size as the RM380.   If so, what would be a source for the Rohrbaugh part.

Thanks in advance,

Leo
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 06:19:24 PM by Leonardo »

Offline MICHPATRIOT

• Expert
Re: 380 or R9 frame pin
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 10:46:07 PM »
 If Remington says un available I would suspect that they know something we don't about dimensions of the pin.. cant believe they don't wanna part with one.. If it was me Id be persistant..call and ask for different dept heads.. bet you find some kind soul to help..work the phone for a couple days. Tell them that people have fears the design would let the pin fly out while shooting in reviews on YOUTUBE..I think just mentioning a vid on youtube might be motivational to them with their new release..

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 11:14:08 PM »

What?   Part not available for 6 months?  The put one in every gun they build...

I am not sure I would accept that as an answer.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Leonardo

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 12:56:17 PM »
I was told that all parts are dedicated to production at this point.  The parts are not even in their system.  Probably the simplest part in the gun!  It blows me away.  I was hoping somebody might have both guns and could check if the pins are interchangeable.

Leo

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 01:13:37 PM »
I have both.  I will try to let you know by tonight.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 02:12:21 PM »
OK Leonardo, I think I have what you need.  I had a hell of  a time finding the Remington.

Rohrbaugh R9 takedown pin  -  diameter - .154",  length - .617"

Remington RM380 pin  -  diameter - .1525 ,  length - .620"

I would guess that they would work fine.  I can tell you that the Remington pin goes in a lot easier than the Rohrbaugh.

If you call Williams who does the Rohrbaugh work for Remington, ask them about it also.  They do a lot of warranty work for Remington and they might be handling the RM380's for them also.

Good luck.

Offline Leonardo

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 02:48:45 PM »
Thanks MRC!  That should be close enough to work.  I will call Williams ASAP tomorrow morning.  As you noted I will first ask for the RM380 pin but if that doesn't work I'll get the R9 pin.

Thanks so much for your help.

Leo

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 04:35:16 PM »

Remington must have "just in time inventory control"; What a bunch of dolts--can you imagine Glock supplying an answer like that?

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 04:52:17 PM »
I got to handle one for the first time today at Shooters.  Looked a lot like the R9 but felt kinda cheap to  me (I guess because it is).  This one had a tremendously long trigger pull...don't think I want one.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 05:41:13 PM »

Remington must have "just in time inventory control"; What a bunch of dolts--can you imagine Glock supplying an answer like that?

I agree tracker, what kind of an outfit have they turned into?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 05:44:17 PM »

Penny wise and pound foolish, in my opinion.

Offline Leonardo

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 10:43:09 AM »
Ordered!!!  Thanks for you substantive help MMC.  I'm confident it will work.

And to Remington.....thanks for all your help  (cough cough hack hack)  You sure know how to support your products (in a non-existent way)

Leo

Offline Leonardo

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 11:35:36 AM »
Another update: 

After ordering from Williams I used my brain a bit (ouch)  I was a bit curious as to the part name.  I've seen a lot of names for the pin.
The user manual (RTFM please) calls it an "Unlock Pin".  The "Frame Pin" that the original Rem rep called it was indeed one of the guns parts, but not the part I was looking for.   I called Rem again with the RIGHT PART NAME and was able to back order (2 weeks out) the pin.  So it looks like I'll have plenty of pins to loose before I'm in a jam again.  Of course that means it will never happen again now that I'm prepared.

Leo

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 12:30:29 PM »

Murphy's Law of lost and found says that you will find the lost pin after the replacements arrive on scene.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 06:18:14 PM »
The R9 / R380 barrel pin appears to be 1 1/2 thousandths bigger than the new Remington RM380 barrel pin. A Rohrbaugh pin could work if you ream the barrel pin area of the Remington frame out by that much. Hand fitting still works guys. We did it. lol

ecr
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.