Author Topic: R9 at Gun show  (Read 3856 times)

Offline dbracin

R9 at Gun show
« on: January 28, 2006, 09:42:44 PM »
Well, I finally got to hold a R9 today. I saw one at the
Greensboro, NC gunshow. WOW! It was chained next to
a Keltec P3AT, so I got to compare it side by side. I was
amazed at the size of this thing. It was priced at $999.
I did not buy it, but I did drool on it alittle.  :-/

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
Re: R9 at Gun show
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 10:25:02 PM »
My first time was at the NRA convention in Pittsburgh a few years ago.  Met the Rohrbaugh boys.  I thought I wouldn't pay that much for the gun.  Only problem is it kept eating at me - I found this forum and the rest is history - now have two like many do.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline jsw4178

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 12:04:46 AM »
Its funny, I had never even heard of Rohrbaugh until I joined the Seecamp forum. I heard so many wonderful things, I did a web search and found the forum . Three weeks later, I was the proud owner of an R9s! ;D
Scott

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 11:15:01 AM »
I had never even seen an R9S.  My purchase was entirely prompted by these forum posts.

It may also be part of our common nature to seek things difficult to obtain.  The idea of a Seecamp is slowly working on me.

The same thing happened when a lottery was required to win rights to place deposits on  Harley-Davidson motorcycles.

Meanwhile, of course, the real reason is the excellence of the R9S.

Bill

« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 11:20:00 AM by Michigunner »

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 04:01:52 PM »
I'd been following the discussions of the R9 over at the FiringLine forums ever since the Shot Show in early 2002. Once they finally came into production I was hesitant to order one initially because I had really wanted an all steel version or a titanium framed version. I got a chance to handle one of the very early ones at a dealer and liked what I saw but still held off on ordering because it seemed that they were still working out some bugs at that time.
Finally I ordered one back in October 2004 and receivedit in August 2005. These forums definitely had a lot to do with my decision to finally order one.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 09:10:24 PM »
Way back - on THR - there was a thread about it, I guess in 2003.  Started by ''Blackhawk'' an older fellow and one other guy who's handle I cannot recall right now - they both received almost the very first ones to leave Farmingdale IIRC.  I wish I could find the link - maybe I will.  

It was a long thread, discussing the gun and trying it out and it piqued my interest a lot but had no aspirations then to get one.  At end of that year tho or very early 2004, I had a gun coming from Ken, at Wild West Guns in Alaska - and he happened to mention he had two.  That did it - I went into purchase mode!!

In fact he had 2 guns ''ordered'' - so in fact mine was still with Eric.  He - wicked man - brought it out as a total surprise in March 2004 at an East PA shoot - also bringing out Jodey Hudson's too.  We both fired our pups and Eric still remembers my look of surprise as he cornered me with the gun.  I had  no idea he was coming.

Could not keep it that day so - it had to go all the way to Anchorage and then to me - by around may 2004 I guess and not too long after was when I joined here.

I doubt a month had passed before I ordered #2 R9!  That came thru approx October 2004.

So I was maybe one of the relatively few who did not buy after being here!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ahhh - for those interested here is that link - it is LONG but rather fascinating as an early exploration of an R9.  Jeff OTMG was the other guy I could not remember.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=54929

I should add too - and this is so sad - Bob (Blackhawk) suffered a massive stroke some while later and was off the forum for good.  Eric did stay in touch and Bob's dear wife was caring for him, thru considerable adversity.  Eric even had made a special presentation R9 for Bob which may well finish up being auctioned off to help them.

Last news Eric had was that he was much better - but that is relative as I belive he still was very inform and unable to speak.  Tragic.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 09:17:26 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 10:06:33 PM »
I remember that thread!!
Blackhawk was certainly one of the biggest proponents of the Rohrbaugh back at that time and was so looking forward to receiving one. It's a shame he never got to shoot it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 10:07:50 PM by harrydog »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 10:09:51 PM »
Well - BONUS!!!  

Knowing I may not have gotten all details spot on - Eric bless him - wrote to me with the more exact info - tho he nearly lost the email because it locked up!!  We spoke on the phone and with some suggestions I managed to get him to retrieve that info - which arrived in my inbox successfully.

I can therefore paste that content here for you all to read. :)

[size=13]Hey Chris!  Hope all is well.  

I just was on line and read the message about how I stopped by the PA shoot to show you your R9.  That was so cool! I really enjoyed that day with you and Jody Hudson and "the Guys".

Bob "Blackhawk" Jensen received the very first gun to go to a retail client...serial number 101...Farmingdale. It was an R9S. He was the fellow who "made us" put sights on the R9! He was animate about it!

The other fellow was named Jeff OTMG (he had gun #102, also an ''s'').....he offered to give me us airfair for me and my wife Jill to fly and from San Antonio to visit Bob and present him with his specially made and personalized R9S but we never completed that task as Martha, Bob's wife, said he was embarrassed to meet us as he was bed ridden and could not see to well due to his stroke.

We still have the gun and the specially made holster from Kevin Manley of K&D Holsters. One day we hope to present it to Bob or auction it off and give them 100% of the money raised from the sale to help with their health related bills. I'd like to do that soon....now that we are Handgun of the Year for 2005 in Shooting Illustrated magazine.

Gotta get.  Speak to you soon. Getting ready for the SHOT Show! Wohoo!
Regards,
Eric Rohrbaugh[/size]
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 10:21:11 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 01:02:36 PM »
What a story! It is so sad about Bob, I hope he continues to get better.

Eric thanks for your caring, you are a special guy.

Eric, I hope you have a great Shot Show, I wish I could be there to see you and Karl. Both Besty and Frank will stop by and say hi from me and of course them. When you have some time, send me a PM and let me know whats new in products from Rohrbaugh, so I can order same.

Thanks, Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 10:43:09 PM »
Chris,
Thanks for the thread connection!!
Read it all,and I remember  reading most of it now..
This by Blackhawk stood out to me
Quote..
I'd like to see Rohrbaugh provide an assembly pin alignment tool to facilitate field stripping because even though a person with strong hands can do it, I don't think the average owner will be able to without resorting to some way that will mar the finish. However, any such tool I can think of right now would probably scare a prospective buyer off!

I'm already looking forward to getting my next two R-9s! I NEED at least three of these guns! I really, really do! Quote..

Same as many have said!! ;)

Quote..
We still have the gun and the specially made holster from Kevin Manley of K&D Holsters. One day we hope to present it to Bob or auction it off and give them 100% of the money raised from the sale to help with their health related bills. I'd like to do that soon. Quote..

This is a GREAT idea IMO..
Chris,If you have news on this-please keep us updated..Thanks..

I can relate to Blackhawk and his idea of at LEAST 3 R9s.. ;) ;D

Blackhawk-be peaceful,and my prayers are with you and yours..

Brenden

Sorry for the thread drift..
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 12:21:28 AM »
Well Brenden - I was guilty perhaps of thread drift before you!! - but IMO any news of or from Eric is good and I'll throw it in anytime.

For sure yes - if any developments re the ''Blackhawk R9'' I will hopefully hear from Eric - he knows of my (our) interest.

Generally, any news I can pass on will soon make make it here - which is why I am looking fwd to post ShotShow - to hear the official news on some items - which right now cannot be mentioned.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 01:13:39 AM »
Well Brenden - I was guilty perhaps of thread drift before you!! - but IMO any news of or from Eric is good and I'll throw it in anytime.

For sure yes - if any developments re the ''Blackhawk R9'' I will hopefully hear from Eric - he knows of my (our) interest.

Generally, any news I can pass on will soon make make it here - which is why I am looking fwd to post ShotShow - to hear the official news on some items - which right now cannot be mentioned.

As always...I look forward to your info!!! ;D

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 10:17:55 AM »
Many of us are interested in the items.   :)

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2006, 10:23:33 AM »
I first saw the R9 at the Shot Show in Orlando and then again at the Shot Show in Vegas. They were then taking orders, so I jumped on board.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus