Author Topic: Shield.... S&W new M&P 9mm  (Read 14151 times)

Offline Ljutic

• Master
Re: Shield.... S&W new M&P 9mm
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 10:12:21 PM »
Definite maybe on the .40 S&W.  Saving my 9mm money for the Sig938.  I sure hope they don't supersize the 40.
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 12:05:48 AM »
Definite maybe on the .40 S&W.  Saving my 9mm money for the Sig938.  I sure hope they don't supersize the 40.

The 40 is the same size as the 9mm.
If you like to shoot a lot the 9mm is MUCH cheaper to shoot.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 08:51:44 AM by Jack_F »
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 12:12:10 AM »
Adam,
    I'm not too excited about the safety myself and will probably hold off on getting one and see if they offer a model without it at some point. I have the PM40 which I like a lot and it has been flawless.

I just finished the S&W M&P Armorers class and was told the shield will not be offered without a safety.
The safety is very small and easy to just leave off.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 12:22:40 AM »
DD & Jack F

How do you like the external safety?

I think that feature will keep me from buying it.

I just don't use it.  It could be removed.  I'm not recommending that........ ;)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:39:44 AM by Jack_F »
NRA Life Member

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 12:33:34 AM »
Apparently the 40 cal version. Just came out,  how snappy is the 9mm?

Very easy to shoot ...S&W has done a LOT of planning and testing......they found the best grip angle to be 18 degrees for the M&P pistol.......of course Browning (1911) knew that decades ago................ ::)

The Shield is not a pocket gun. It is close to the M&P compact in size......it has a thinner profile...
I'm taking a two day class from Rob Pincus this weekend..  I'm taking my M&P Pro 4 1/4 , Compact 3 1/2 and Shield all in 9mm...we were told to bring 1200 rounds............should be a fun weekend.... 8)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 01:01:29 AM by Jack_F »
NRA Life Member

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 08:01:30 AM »
I got a chance to shoot the M&P Shield 9mm this weekend.

I am VERY impressed.  S&W did a great job with this pistol.  First, they did a great job of remaining true to the full-size M&P design.  It looks like a number of the parts are probably interchangeable with the big guns--like the extractor and such.  There is no reason this shouldn't be a great design that stands the test of time.  Plus, they have instant "manual of arms" familiarity for anyone who has an M&P.  This should be great for the law enforcement market.

The gun shoots great and is very comfortable.  The trigger is a bit unusual with a short light takeup and then a heavy final pull.  However, it is definitely a "suprise" break and makes the gun extremely accurate.  My first 3 shots at 7 yards were in the black 10-ring on my test target.  No funcational problems whatsoever.

Interestingly, this is the gun (except for the manual safety) that people have been begging Glock to make for a decade.  S&W now has the full range of sizes in the M&P.  I actually think that the Shield may help sell full-size M&Ps for those who want the same family of guns in all sizes.

Before anyone asks, the M&P Shield is not in the same category to me as the R-9.  It is not a pocket gun.  But, it sure is a nice platorm for effortless IWB carry if you are so inclined.  I think S&W will sell a ton of these guns.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 09:03:11 AM »
Excellent report Duane!

I will be looking at it the next time I visit the gun shop.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 09:07:28 AM »
Excellent review, DDG.  Thanks.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 06:21:52 PM »
Thanks for the range report. I like my Shield. I completed a "Combat Focus" class this weekend and put 1200 rounds through my M&P 9mm with zero problems. I think the M&P will rise to the top of the striker fired handguns............ ;)
NRA Life Member

Offline dmunofo

• Sharpshooter
  • 1 year Rohrbaugh owner
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2012, 11:29:11 PM »
I am soo torn...While the shield would be the better range gun for me in law enforcement, I REALLY want the Rohrbaugh.  Can't afford to spend money on both right now, but maybe I can find a used Shield a bit later on that would be fairly cheap by comparison to a used Rohrbaugh.

I am dead set on getting the Rohrbaugh now for summer carry and being truly pocketable. 

Dominick
Active LEO, Duty Weapon SIG P220, Off Duty H&K USP Compact .45, K380 2 tone with blue carbon fiber VZ grips, Benchmade Triage side blade,

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2012, 11:35:58 PM »
I am soo torn...While the shield would be the better range gun for me in law enforcement, I REALLY want the Rohrbaugh.  Can't afford to spend money on both right now, but maybe I can find a used Shield a bit later on that would be fairly cheap by comparison to a used Rohrbaugh.

I am dead set on getting the Rohrbaugh now for summer carry and being truly pocketable. 

Dominick
With your job being law enforcement I would think the Shield in 40 Cal would be the better off duty weapon. JMO
NRA Life Member

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 11:19:34 PM »
Shield 40 Range Report

Today, I went to a buddy's place from another forum to break in my new Shield 40. Originally, I wanted one in 9mm, but the Academy Sports store here in Pensacola only had one in 40 S&W.  Knowing that these are in high demand -- and with the retail price at Academy at $399, I bought it without blinking an eye.

It's definitely a keeper! The trigger on the Shield is much better than the full size M&Ps that I've had previously. Here is a typical group from 21 feet - standing off hand at a decent rate of fire (squeeze - reset -front sight - squeeze -reset - front sight - etc.):

My shooting instructor buddy then put me to the test - he wanted me to shoot a playing card in half edge-wise...aka the impossible shot...  He evidently does this with his LEO students to aid in teaching proper trigger control.  Always one to try something new under pressure - I didn't disappoint...and actually suprised myself - split the card in two edge-wise with the first shot!

All total - we ran about 300 rds through the pistol - straight from the box (no cleaning, no lubrication -- nothing). Zero failures or malfunctions of any kind shooting CCI Blazer 180gr, 180gr FMJ reloads, or Winchester PDX1 180gr JHPs. Recoil was very manageable - with either the flush or extended magazine in use. The recoil from the increased pressure of 40 S&W over 9mm isn't any concern in this pistol - the 9mm version will only be slightly milder & cheaper to shoot.

My buddy successfully split a playing card at 28 feet - so I had to try it again from that distance... This time it took me three shots to hit the mark!

Not too bad - especially with a new and unfamiliar pistol!

I highly recommend the M&P Shield for a daily-carry CCW in either flavor -- 9mm or 40 S&W.
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2012, 11:20:42 PM »
How about a 45 caliber Shield??

I doubt that S&W would go down this path (but I can only hope)....

But, sitting here in my office -- I decided to see how well 45 GAP ammo would fit into the magazine for my Shield 40.

6 rds  of 45 GAP fits nicely into the 7 rd 40 S&W Magazine -- likewise 5 rds fits nicely into the 6 rd Magazine.

The magazine body is wide enough to handle the 45 GAP cartridge, only the taper and feed lips at the top of the magazine would need alteration.

A 45 GAP Shield would be an awesome back-up option for LEOs who carry the Glock 37, being much slimmer and lighther than the G39.

Here's a pic of the 45 GAP 200gr Gold Dots next to a 7 rd Shield 40 magazine:

Here's a pic showing that the 45 GAP cartridge has ample room to fit into the Shield 40 magazine - the cartridge outside the magazine is a 40 S&W for comparison.  The indentions on the sides of the magazine would need to be lessened, and the taper and feed lips at the top of the magazine would need to be slightly enlarged:

Given that the 45 GAP's maximum SAAMI pressure of 23,000 psi is well below the 40 S&W's maximum SAAMI pressure of 35,000 psi -- I am left to conclude that the safety of a 45 GAP Shield is definitely acceptable -- and I expect the lower pressure would offset the higher bullet weight to create a similar shooting characteristic (comfortable and controllable).

In a shield-sized platform, the 45 GAP is everything that a 45 ACP would be.  Therefore, I believe a 45 GAP S&W Shield could certainly compete in the marketplace against the Springfield XD-S in the venerable 45 ACP.  45 GAP ammo is more plentiful and price-comparable to 45 ACP (actually less expensive from Georgia Arms) now that 10% of the State Law Enforcement Agencies have adopted the cartridge for their duty weapons.

I know that I am not the only non-LEO who likes the 45 GAP cartridge -- and carries either a G38 or G39 as a CCW...

I'd buy a 45 GAP Shield today -- if S&W would make one! :)  Anyone else interested??
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2012, 06:37:53 AM »
Outstanding range report!!!!!  The Shield is a GREAT gun I carry mine a lot. It will be a hit for S&W. I have several M&P pistols. They shoot great. The M&P 18 degree grip angle ( Browing 1911)  just feels riight for me. I completed the S&W M&P armorer program. That really gave me an understanding how good the M&Ps really are. I teach CCW classses and when people have problems with their gun I let them use a M&P . Most people say they will buy a M&P after shooting one. ;) If you haven't shot a M&P you should try one....JMO

Did I say outstanding range report. :)
NRA Life Member

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2012, 08:49:50 AM »
Fantastic, there, Fly, on the Shield 40;  amazing shooting.  On the Gap .45 Shield, I would be interested.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln