Author Topic: trauma to distal interphalangeal joint  (Read 3142 times)

Offline prince

trauma to distal interphalangeal joint
« on: December 16, 2010, 05:26:58 PM »
I have just returned from the range wherein I shot 20 rounds with my new R9s. I had to quit due to the trauma to my 2nd right distal interphalangeal joint. The joint bangs into the front inside trigger guard upon recoil. I have large hands and fingers with a span of 10 1/2 inches. Other than bandaging the joint, does anyone have any suggestions, e.g. changing the position of my grip on the pistol?
franklin

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: trauma to distal interphalangeal joint
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 05:41:59 PM »
Prince:

First of all, welcome to the Forum and congratulations on acquiring your R9.

As to the trauma you describe, it would seem to me that you are inserting your trigger finger too far into the trigger guard and should change your firing grip to use the pad of the first distal joint instead. High powered pocket pistols are an acquired taste and often require some adaptation by the shooter.

Good luck!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 06:54:48 PM »
Prince,
    Another Welcome from me as well.
You may want to try adding a mag extension to gain some leverage on the pup, maybe get another finger on it.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 07:42:24 PM »
I have just returned from the range wherein I shot 20 rounds with my new R9s. I had to quit due to the trauma to my 2nd right distal interphalangeal joint. The joint bangs into the front inside trigger guard upon recoil. I have large hands and fingers with a span of 10 1/2 inches. Other than bandaging the joint, does anyone have any suggestions, e.g. changing the position of my grip on the pistol?

prince.  Welcome to the Forum.  Both of the above are great suggestions and I highly recommend the mag extension.  Again, welcome.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Classifieds;action=display;num=1264303965;start=0#0
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 08:17:21 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln