Author Topic: First time out -- major problems  (Read 6252 times)

Offline Joe_R

First time out -- major problems
« on: November 23, 2008, 06:23:19 PM »
Today was my first time out w/ my new RS9.  Just about every other round wouldn't fire.  After one or two extra pulls it would fire.  This happened for the entire 100 round box I put through it.  

Also, the slide jammed several times.  I suspect it was the ejector not working properly.  

Needless to day, I am very disappointed.  I didn't think I could go wrong w/ this gun.

Anyone have a similar experience or any suggestions.  Obviously, I'm going to to call Rohrbaugh tomorrow to discuss sending it back for repair.  Given all the good postings I've read, I think maybe I just got a lemon.  
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 06:24:04 PM by Joe_R »

Offline Slick

• Sharpshooter
Re: First time out -- major problems
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 06:34:46 PM »
What ammo were you using and are saying you had light primer strikes?  I haven't had any problems with quality SD ammo, but did have 2 light primer strikes with some cheap Magtech ammo.

Offline Joe_R

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 09:23:56 PM »
Sellier-Bellot.  It was cheap but I have used it in my XD before w/o any problem.  

Offline Slick

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 09:38:49 PM »
I'd run it again, with some higher end ammo to confirm the issues and make notes before sending it back first.  All mechanical devices can fail, but I just haven't heard of many on here.

Offline Joe_R

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 11:51:05 PM »
Thanks Slick.  I'll try another 100 rounds of something better next weekend.  

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 08:31:44 AM »
Small guns can be ammo sensitive. Your problem is likely ammo related. My R9s eats 115 Gold Dots for dinner and 115 WWB for dessert.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 08:32:19 AM by CaptBW »
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline Benjamin

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 09:19:54 AM »
What Captain BW said. Also, be sure to allow the gun to cool off after every couple of dozen rounds.
Benjamin

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 03:42:42 PM »
Joe, it sounds like an ammo problem to me also. Try using Winchester silver tip 115 or 124 and/or Gold Dot.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 07:49:07 PM »
My experience with S&B ammo has been that its primers can be problematic. I would clean and lube your R9 and try it with Winchester Silver Tips or Speer Gold Dots, as mentioned above.

Good luck, and let us know how it works. These R9s are magnificent little pistols. I have every confidence that yours will earn your complete confidence.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Slick

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 08:14:36 PM »
I've also had decent success with Hornady XTP's and Federal Low Recoil 135gr SD's.

I picked up a few boxes of all of them and they all work.  Saved half a box from each brand in reserve.

Offline Joe_R

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 10:18:51 PM »
Second time out today.  No problems.  I put 120 rounds of better ammo through and the performance was perfect.  Needless to say, I'm feeling much much better.  Lesson learned -- stay away from the cheap stuff -- especially S&B.  Thanks for all your input over the past couple days!  

Offline Slick

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 10:36:07 PM »
Glad it worked out for you.  Clean it, lube it, then shoot it again.  After that, your confidence should be set that it'll work when needed.  Please post what ammo you used, that info may help others.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 07:35:51 AM »
Joe:

Thanks for the good report! Just keep that little masterpiece clean and well lubricated and it should serve you well.

And 120 rounds through a 9mm Rohrbaugh at one session . . . that certainly beats my single-session count of 67. At about that level I just tell my range buddies that I don't want to overheat my R9. Truth is, my right hand has begun to remind me how old it is. (Never let 'em see you wince or sweat.  ;) )
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"