Author Topic: Slide cracking....  (Read 8036 times)

Offline malayalee747

Slide cracking....
« on: May 04, 2006, 08:13:07 PM »
Today I was looking through the gun and I noticed that there’s a small crack at both sides of the slide all the way at the back.  It’s visible from the sides and from the hammer end.  How serious is this?  Should I send it back?  

Offline Thunderbolt

Re: Slide cracking....
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 08:38:30 PM »
Wow!

Sorry to hear of your problem,  :( and a cracked slide on any firearm is a potential problem. It needs to go back  :( Sadly most growing companies have their share of growing pains. Your "brake in" turned out to be a "broke in"  ::) The hammer on my pup is starting to look peened on the outer edges; I suppose from striking the firing pin and firing pin stop, we'll be keeping an eye on this :-/ . I now have about 250 rounds downrange.

Best of luck to you,
Thunderbolt
"Since you have chosen to elect a man with a timber toe to succeed me, you may all go to hell and I will go to Texas."   Hon. Davey Crockett

Offline erh

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 08:57:43 PM »
Yes...
Sorry to hear about it; I'm sure they'll "Make it right, quickly..!"

Eric
-E!-
"The Hill", GA.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 10:15:32 PM »
Send it back and you should have it returned within a week.  Seems like you got one of the few defective metal slides that went out.  Luck of the draw.  Too bad it is not the lotto.

Get the new slide put on and continue enjoying the gun - I have two.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline malayalee747

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 03:02:36 PM »
Seems like I got screwed.   :( The warranty is under someone else’s name.  This was already sold to someone else, even though I was told it’s “brand new.”  The dealership I bought it from (Shoot Straight Florida) is about 150 miles from where I live.  I don’t know what to do now. :-[

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 03:35:55 PM »
I would call the factory.  There have been many favorable reports about them.

Bill

Offline malayalee747

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 03:48:52 PM »
I called them.  That's when I found out this was sold to some one else and he/she has  the warranty on it.  

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 06:11:48 PM »
My attorney only charges $35 to talk about something.  

Maybe it would be worth that much to see if anything could be done with Shoot Straight Florida.  Maybe they have a small claims court over there that could bring some relief for you.

If they are selling a new gun, you should be the first owner.  That was a pretty rotten trick they played on you.  Certainly $1050 is a new gun price.  If they claim the gun was sold as used, they will have a tough time explaining the price.

I bet some fiesty lawyer would enjoy getting ahold of this.  The whole thing is disgusting because you will be without the lifetime warranty.

Bill
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 06:42:10 PM by Michigunner »

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 06:42:03 PM »
Today I was looking through the gun and I noticed that there’s a small crack at both sides of the slide all the way at the back.  It’s visible from the sides and from the hammer end.  How serious is this?  Should I send it back?  

Very serious,sorry to hear this..

Would you happen to be able to post a picture of this?
Only reason I ask is that there have been a couple others that had this problem,but I believe only on one side..

I wish you the best,and I am sure you will have the problem resolved before you know it..

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 09:49:56 PM »
malayalee747,
I agree with Michigunner. Get a lawyer letter off to the gun shop.  If they push back get the Florida Attorney General involved.  I'm not a lawyer but it seems clear you are the victim of retail fraud.

I had a similar experience when I bought a Taurus Millenium.  My FFL ordered it from a distributer he had dealt with for years.  We sat at my FFL's kitchen table and filled out the paperwork.  We looked the gun over carefully.  We opened the owner's manual and out fell a repair ticket.  I was really angry, but nothing like my FFL friend, a retired U.S. Marine lifer.  He made a phone call.  We had a brand new gun in three days.  

This will work out.  Just don't take any stuff from the gun shop.  The gun shop is the bad guy.    Rohrbaugh is in sort of a bad spot.  Their name and reputation are at stake, but the registered owner holds the warranty..  :(

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 10:35:40 PM »
I called them.  That's when I found out this was sold to some one else and he/she has  the warranty on it.  

One of my two R9s was purchased NIB from a friend who never fired it.  Soon as he bought it though he sent in the warranty card under his name.

Saying that having purchased two R9s - second from Tom "theirishguard" - I being the owner who was the first to fire the gun were the warranty was under another name, would be very upset with Rohrbaugh if the gun needed repair for a cracked slide - a manufacture defect - and they would not cover it.

If this gun harms someone from a manufacture defect then they could be liable.   That is the way it is for most manufactured items,  cars and etc, no matter if the current owner is the original owner or not.

I really like the  Rohrbaugh Company and I hope they would reconsider not covering a cracked slide. .

Larry Seecamp has never in the company history charged for a Seecamp repair no matter if the owner was the original purchaser or the tenth owner.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 11:40:22 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 10:56:15 PM »
I sure hope Rohrbaugh will try to take care of it.

It's such a tragedy that malayalee747 has spent $1050,  only to have the slide crack.  

And Amen to what Steve said.  I say give it to a lawyer.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 11:12:28 PM »
I am betting the Brothers will take care of the cracked slide.
This crack has been identified in other guns, it is a material defect...

I would not make any more comments on this problem, on this Site.   Go viisit The Owner of the business [Shoot Straight]  you bought the gun from
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 01:17:36 AM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 11:16:42 PM »
RJ

You are probably right on that.  Didn't mean to sound so negative above.  If I find myself in the same situation with my one R9 I truely believe that Rohrbaugh will try and find a solution.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 11:27:01 PM by MountainMan »

Offline malayalee747

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 11:20:40 PM »
The dealer said he has no other Rohrbaugh in stock now.  He said he will try to find the person who send out the warranty card and will try to have the repair done under his/her name.  I am not really happy with this remedy because what if something else is wrong in another six months?  I am surprised by Rohrbaugh’s decision of not repairing it if I send it to them BUT they WILL repair it if I trace the person who send out the warranty card and send it out to them under his/her name.  Is this a standard industry practice?  Rohrbaugh did say they will send me a NEW R9s through some other dealer without any delay if I am able to get my money back from the dealership I bought it from.  The dealer that I bought it from is listed in Rohrbaugh’s web site as one of their dealers in Florida.  I will be driving to Apopka, FL (128 miles) either on Mon or Tue to meet them and resolve it. (hopefully)