Author Topic: Alledged Cop Killer Bullets  (Read 2218 times)

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
Alledged Cop Killer Bullets
« on: April 16, 2011, 04:38:11 PM »
For the younger members of the forum, here is some information about the ammunition and bullets that started all the brouhaha back in the 70's.   The KTW teflon coated bullets.   The were made of turned copper/brass alloy.  Solid projectile with teflon coating.   Made their literary debut in a book called,  "The Evil men Do."  It was later made into a movie starring Charles Bronson but the book went into great detail about the revolver and the .41 caliber bullets in his .41 magnum ammunition.   Written by a canadian who may not have known that KTW never loaded .41 magnum ammunition.

You see before you 4 .3545 bullets that were pulled from .380 cases.  The one on the right is a high speed glaser safety slug made by the original glaser company.  The .380 bullets weigh 95.8 grains on my scale.   I know of no propellant one could use that would get up enough steam in any 380 I've ever seen to move that much weight fast enough to punch through even late 60's type 1 body armor.    I doubt they would do it unless magic was involved.   I know for a fact that KTW .45ACP won't penetrate type 1 body armor because I tested it, not with anyone in it but stuck to a piece of plywood backing.    In the accompanying pictures you will also see KTW .357 magnum and KTW .30 Carbine.   They will sail through body armor like a hot knife through butter unless a trauma plate is present.   The 30 carbine is notable because it has a KTW headstamp while the nickle .357 is a late variety and has the original winchester headstamp.  Take note of the lack of a +P marking which wasn't used in those days.  They are definitely +P,  I guarranteeeee as Justin Wilson would have said.    They were not the first armor piercing projectile ever developed.   Winchester used to sell an AP .357 round with a jacked bullet and a pointed round nose configuration and the original is the ARCANE from France developed by Fabrice Bodet.  It is a turned Copper Bronze alloy projectile of very lightweight and has a very sharp point.   I built a Colt LW Commander for him back in the late 70's and he provided me with a large quantity of the bullets in various calibers.  I found they were a problem to feed in semi's and very iffy for pressure and accuracy even in a revolver due to individual variances in the bullets, so I gave up on using them and passed them on to collectors.     Interestingly enough at the time KTW was marketing these, they themselves said they were for sale only to LEO's and Depts.   But I know that local dealers in Boulder where I lived then,  had them on their shelves and sold them to anyone with the price.   They were expensive at the time running nearly $1 a round.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 04:41:51 PM by flintsghost »
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms