Miscellaneous > The Water Cooler -- General Discussions

Holster wearing and location

(1/4) > >>

mismatch:
Greetings,

I'm seeking enlightment as to how and when you remove your R9 from a pocket carry, front or back pocket while driving or just sitting.  Up to now I've carried a PPk, in a Fobus Paddle, and removed it while I was going on a long drive. Usually if I got out at a rest stop, I would remove it from the holster and put into my back pocket, once I've arrived at my destination back into the holster and IWB. Those of you that have been carrying the R9, could maybe give me some knowledge on this subject.  Do you keep the piece in your pocket while driving?  Do you sit on it if it's a back pocket carry?  I believe somewhere in this forum, I read a comment about just that, but did a search and could not find it!
Is there a preference front or back, or is that just a personal choice?
  Any comments or advice passed along would be greatly appreciated.

TW:
>>Hi Mismatch, and Greetings...!...

For one thing I'm a big guy and would not want to sit on my R9 just because.  The gun would probably be fine, but back pocket carry is just not my thing.

I use a variety oh holsters and places to carry my R9.  I have always been a "Vest Guy"...even long before I got my CCW.  So I have a selection of vests which allow for easy access while driving in the car.  I'm also a "Bag Guy"...and therefore have a selection of side carry bags and belly pouches which again, allow me easy access while driving.  Then I am also a fan of loose fitting cargo-type pants and shorts which allow me to carry front pocket with my RJ Headley holster.  This is perhaps more difficult to access while driving, but not impossible.

Bottom line is you need to play around with different carry methods for your R9 until you have found what works for you...which will depend on a lot of things like your body build, tools (holsters & clothing) at hand, and your life style.  I will say that, having carried larger guns CCW, finding ways to carry my R9 has been a lot of fun...there are just so many things you can do with this gun, and for me it continues to evolve...TW<<  

DDGator:
I will usually have a thing or two to say about pocket carry...

I am a big proponent of pocket carry generally, and front pocket carry in particular.

One of the advantages of front pocket carry is the ability to have your hand on your gun while still maintaining a non-threatening posture.  This is lost with rear pocket carry -- its not any different than carrying IWB.

The disadvantages of rear as opposed to front?  I don't like sitting on a gun either.  The R-9 would probably take it...but I don't like it.  I also find the draw to be more difficult.  Rear pockets are usually a lot tighter than front pockets and its harder to get that firing grip while still in the holster.

The only real advantege of rear pocket carry is that it is somewhat more accessible with your weak hand if necessary--IF you are young enough and limber enough to do it.

I say -- go with the front pocket.

As for the car, I usually keep my pocket gun in my pocket, but have another (larger) gun in the car.  If the fight starts in the car while I am still seated, I go for the car gun.  If everthing gets dislodged due to spirited driving or a not so accidental accident, or if I have to bail out of the car fast, I still have the pocket gun.  

My two cents worth...

R9SCarry:
The only really good R9 pocket carry for me is - front pocket - and that with the Cabellas pants that have a large patch pocket.  The gun is not too ''locked in'' even when sitting.

I do tho wear jeans most of all and then, R9 is usually BUG anyways - I'll use either ankle rig, Kevin's small belt slide, next to primary - or even resort to a fanny pack.

As has been stated - body build, vehicular type, in fact just life-style - do very much dictate choices.  I can say tho that for me, rear pocket is never!!!

theirishguard:
Very good points from everyone. If one is in the car and need to draw, carrying the R9 in a cross draw either IWB or OWB is great. A vest is also good in all conditions. I got use to back pocket carry with a Seecamp, but believe front pocket carry is better all around. A fanny pack with chord coming out of it for a radio or CD player or MP3 player hides the carry even better. Tom

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version