Author Topic: Newb check in  (Read 8477 times)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Newb check in
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 06:02:49 PM »
Great score!  Congratulations Willy.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 07:28:38 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 06:27:01 PM »
Sounds like an excellent buy! Congradulations.

Offline willy

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 01:26:10 PM »
I've read some posts about the oils that you guys like, does anyone carry using a dry lube so that it doesn't built up lint and such? ...then use something thicker at the range?

Offline Buffalo

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2012, 02:39:31 PM »
Hi,

I'm still new to this forum but everyone here seems to be a wealth of knowledge on the Rohrbaughs.

The one you got looks great and the deal sound great too.  I recently ordered by Tribute so I guess
it's going to be a long impatient wait like a kid on Christmas Eve that just can't sleep.  LOL

Maybe someone should remake the classic movie A Christmas Story but replace the Red Ryder BB gun with a
R9S Tribute.  Only one man's opinion. LOL
“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
― The Dalai Lama (May 2001)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2012, 05:45:47 PM »

willy,

No doubt you have read about FrogLube CLP here but after having tried many excellent oils I am sold on this one. It is very light but has a lubricity that keeps on lubing. I have not tried any dry lubes yet but have one can of it.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2012, 05:49:36 PM »
I've read some posts about the oils that you guys like, does anyone carry using a dry lube so that it doesn't built up lint and such? ...then use something thicker at the range?

There has been some discussion about dry lube.  No one has "used it" range time wise as I can remember.

It makes good sense doing so as you have described.  However, I have held back because I just wondered, and have forgot to pose this next question to the group.

Do you think the dry lube will hamper the application of "wet" on top of it for range use?   Will it run off easier?    Sling off as the slide travels since there is a base of dry lube.

Or-
As the tolerances are so tight to begin with, the dry luble will wear through immediate and it will make no difference.

I have no idea, just wondering.

Now what I do know- 
I have tried dry lube on my competition guns in a match.   And it failed before in less than 60 rounds, i.e. 60 cycles.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline willy

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2012, 06:13:35 PM »
Ya, I would not count on dry lube for serious range time, but it only needs to last 7 rounds when it's in your pocket... Thought it might be a good idea, especially after feeling how tight this gun is. My kel-tec would just poof out a cloud of pocket lint, but one imagines that you wouldn't want a bunch of junk getting stuck in the R9.

Let's see what the consensus is...

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2012, 07:46:14 PM »

The R9 is so tight that I wouldn't be concerned about collecting any detritus even over prolonged non-shooting periods. The only thing that collects is a little fuzz at the end of the barrel, which is is easily flicked out with a Q-tip. There is no reason to over think this subject.

Offline willy

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 07:50:12 PM »
Ha, well alright then!

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2012, 08:48:42 PM »
And besides, I find that cleaning my R9 is a form of stress relief. In fact, I think I'll empty mine out and give it a light clean and lube while watching Tennessee try to defeat Florida. (Since the game is now tied 20/20 with two minutes left in the third quarter with the Gators having just intercepted the ball, the stress level around here in "Vol Country" is pretty high.   ;))
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline willy

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2012, 09:02:39 PM »
Well then, greetings from Florida. I went to UF for a bit, but was extremely unhappy with my education there, so I find myself cheering UT on tonight : )

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2012, 09:21:54 PM »
Well then, greetings from Florida. I went to UF for a bit, but was extremely unhappy with my education there, so I find myself cheering UT on tonight : )

Well . . . my R9 is now clean, but with Florida leading 34/20 with 9 minutes left in the 4th Quarter, I guess I'll clean a 1911 or two.   :-\

"The agony of defeat . . . ." 

Congratulations to the Gators.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 09:52:06 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline willy

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 01:27:27 PM »
Cleaned and lubed everything for the first time today, I must say that I'm thoroughly bewildered why so many people complain about it being hard to put back together...

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 04:46:53 PM »
Willy:

The R9 is like a fine-tuned sports car. It responds to a deft touch, which you obviously possess.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"