Author Topic: Is this the new R9?  (Read 12683 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Is this the new R9?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 08:22:03 AM »
The barrels on my R9's are both perfect...however, a pistol intended for use at a range of 7 yards or less barely even needs rifling IMO.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 08:29:55 AM »
The barrel on the R9 that I shoot and carry (Stealth Elite) is of above average machining and material quality compared to other pocket sized pistols I have owned and handled (I have not closely inspected the barrels of the early R9s that I classify as collectibles). The barrel on the Elite Premium I have looks like a work of art.

I had an early Ruger LCP before I found my way to the R9 and if you want to see poor barrel quality take a close look at one of those. The material felt cheap, corroded significantly just sitting in my house and it was a terribly inaccurate firearm. I am a much better shot with the R9. This kind of goes without saying but the keltec barrels I have handled also have felt cheap and looked of poor machining quality.

So from my point of view R9 barrels would not be classified as a weakness of the firearm. I will add that they would not be classified as a strength either given the two pistols that I just compared it to cost a fraction of the price.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 08:52:06 AM by BlueC2 »
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 08:46:49 AM »
MRC, are you saying that the quality of the R9's barrel is poor?  If so can you explain why you think that?

This has been gone over enough here.  It is a moot point as I am sure that the antiquated  barrel rifling equipment that Rohrbaugh used has been sent to the junk yard.

Arne Boberg's prototype XR45 had reamer marks just like some of the Rohrbaugh's.  I asked him how it affected performance.  He had tested it and it decreases velocity by approximately 40 fps which is significant when the pistol already has less than a 3" barrel.  Mine has the reamer marks and it is nearly impossible to get completely clean even after spending at least 4 times the amount of time cleaning than on my Solo.  Look at the Walther made PM9 barrels if you want to see an "outstanding" piece of work.  I have had two R9's and both had this type of barrel.

Here is the old thread for more info:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=5258.msg63427#msg63427

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 04:24:47 PM »
While greatly admiring the opinions and overall taste in handguns of our distinguished fellow member of the Forum, MRC, on this point my experience is contrary to his.  My R9 132 has no so-called chatter marks in the barrel and the rifling shows no flaws. After having proven its accuracy and dependability at pocket-pistol distances, I have elected not to wear it out but limit it to only occasional range sessions to maintain familiarity in the past decade during which it has served as my EDC.  No. 132 is still able to hit the 10 ring at 7 yards as long as I do my part.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 04:55:30 PM »
I have never said that all barrels are bad, but far too many were.  I am 2 for 2 on my R9's

My problem is the Rohrbaugh's complete denial that there is anything unacceptable about barrels which look like this.  I have an R9 stuck in the safe which I cannot sell because of it.

Don't tell me that I do not need to make prospective purchasers aware of it.     I   have a conscience.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 06:45:41 PM »
Realistically, you need to cut your loss and offer the pistol at a price that you feel is reasonable.  Assuming that there are no other issues with the pistol, I would be interested.  What is the provenance, the description and how much do you want for it?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 07:22:29 PM »
I found the old post John.  At that time used R9's were selling for about $900 plus shipping.  I did not post it but I was offering serious inquiries $750 by email.  The only offer I received was $600.

John, thanks for the inquiry, but I have had it this long so I think I will wait and see how the Remington deal shakes out rather than put it on the "fire sale shelf".

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=5998.0

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 07:30:54 PM »
   To MRC,
   I would have to agree with you. Based on the quality that Rohrbaugh put out and my own experience with Remington, my old 870 Wingmaster and what they call the 870 now, case in point, I don't have a lot of faith either.
      My heart goes out to the two brothers who produced the R9.I wish I knew what they think of the whole thing. Maybe they are happy they are out of the business. I don't know. But I am guessing they, nor their past employees would care to see their vision going to hell in a hand basket.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 09:00:03 PM »

Have you inquired about buying a new barrel from Williams Gun Sight Co.?

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 06:44:37 AM »

Have you inquired about buying a new barrel from Williams Gun Sight Co.?

No, I really have not thought about that pistol until this came up.

When I inquired about it with Rohrbaugh, Eric had Maria tell me:

" All our barrels look like that and we do not have any barrels better than that,.  If the gun functions, why would you care what the bore looks like."

That is when I lost faith in Rohrbaugh and the outcome was not a surprise to me.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 10:37:44 AM »

That statement may have been true at the time if the barrel reamer were on its last leg but it is not accurate before then.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2015, 10:50:26 AM »
MRC, I agree that keeping the R9 (with consideration of getting another barrel if deemed necessary) would be a smart move.  Good luck!
John
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2015, 12:24:39 PM »

That statement may have been true at the time if the barrel reamer were on its last leg but it is not accurate before then.

That statement was not true at that time either tracker.  Eric just did not want to deal with it.  In my opinion it was a warranty issue and that would mean as trip back to the shop, fitting time, and shipping it back.  If he started replacing all the bad barrels they shipped,  they probably would have gone belly up in 2010 instead of later.

Just shipping one barrel like that is too many, yet they continued doing it.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2015, 01:21:13 PM »
I meant that the barrels were good up until a certain date and I don't know how many like yours were produced or how many reamers they were using at the time. They could have all been like yours at that time. Your situation prompted me to do a close barrel inspection and it was fine. Of course, that was in a late 2004 R9.

Several years ago I bought a pristine but used Colt Detective Special in a gun store. It was in its original box and was so beautiful that I didn't check the barrel with a bore light. It was a 2.5 inch model and the barrel was completely pitted. Luckily, I found a new condition three inch barrel that served as a replacement. There is nothing you could have done since you bought the R9 new from the factory. Since my Colt purchase I don't buy any guns without a bore check first.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 06:57:29 PM by tracker »