Author Topic: Loving my new Kimber Solo... 1700 rounds and counting.  (Read 64981 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: Loving my new Kimber Solo + PICS OF THE INSIDES AFTER 1000+ ROUNDS
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2014, 11:57:12 AM »

Here you go:

http://georgia-arms.com/9mmluger.aspx

Hey Tracker,

Did you know those are factory reloads? I just got em today and discovered that. Not a huge deal, but I didn't see it coming. They don't say it in a bold way on the web site. Look to be nicely done anyway.

So far I ran 24 through the solo. It is still flawless using 124 and heavier. It liked em just fine. I will work through the 500 and report because I know Tracker is on pins and needles to know how they work out 😬
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Loving my new Kimber Solo, BUT SHE WONT LOCK OPEN ANYMORE 😳
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2014, 12:19:42 PM »

My main concern is that you will have to return to work and won't have enough range or post time.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2014, 02:05:24 PM »
Wow I hope not!! Lol.

The iPhone has sure revolutionized my world. Happy to be able to keep up with emails, texts and phone calls from anywhere I get cell service. It's awesome : )
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2014, 02:17:19 PM »
Wow I hope not!! Lol.

The iPhone has sure revolutionized my world. Happy to be able to keep up with emails, texts and phone calls from anywhere I get cell service. It's awesome : )

Now all we need is for the forum to be picked up by one of the excellent iPhone web forum apps: Tapatalk, OhubCampfire, or Outdoor Forums. It would save me a lot of zooming and page refreshes :)
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2014, 03:48:23 PM »
Sounds cool. I'm not familiar with those apps but I see the point. Sounds like it would be an improvement. Especially if this forum receives a heavy influx of new people being exposed to the pistol via a larger marketing budget and a lower purchasing point. 

Perhaps some of them will be of the younger mindset that would really appreciate such a convenience.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2014, 10:45:38 PM »
I received my slide lock free of charge the other day. I hope this fixes the issue. I'll slap it on and see how it works and post an update : )

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Well I finally put the new slide lock on it and ran some of the Georgia arms 124 gr stuff and ran into the first 124 gr FTE ever out of my solo. Then about 5 more. Then tried 13 golden saber +P and had about 4 more FTE's

So all of the sudden my solo won't run reliably at all.

Bummer.

I only ended up with an additional 60 rounds through it today. It didn't go well.

Also still has trouble not locking open on the last round with the new slide stop.

Looks like its time for a trip back to Yonkers.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 09:59:23 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
So I've  been thinking about the solo not being reliable AFTER running the Georgia arms reload stuff and I've finally cleaned the pistol since my last outing and will try to run some good 124 grain stuff through it and see if it's still what it used to be. To date it was flawless (until I fired the Georgia arms stuff) on the 124/147 NONreload variety out of over 1400 rounds total through the gun.

I guess if it's back to it's success it will have been a duh (like most of my other mistakes), and if not I'm sure is due for a trip back to its homeland especially since it doesn't lock back right.

Well I'll plan to take it to the range this week and see how it does and let you know. It's been a good little gun that has taken a lot of abuse from me and I haven't cleaned it more than 10 times probably.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 11:51:47 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Good plan Josh.  Those tight little pistols prefer premium ammo and like to be clean and lubricated.  I have used EEZOX exclusively on all of my small handguns and clean them after each range trip with exceptional results.  Good luck with your Solo...I truly enjoy shooting mine...good sight picture, accurate smooth and a pretty little thing as well...it just won't eject properly part of the time so I can't carry it.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Good plan Josh.  Those tight little pistols prefer premium ammo and like to be clean and lubricated.  I have used EEZOX exclusively on all of my small handguns and clean them after each range trip with exceptional results.  Good luck with your Solo...I truly enjoy shooting mine...good sight picture, accurate smooth and a pretty little thing as well...it just won't eject properly part of the time so I can't carry it.

John  -  I am just curious, have you talked to Kimber about your problems?

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Thanks backup9. I actually bought eezox  a while ago upon your suggestion and just used it on the solo. Hoping for the best with primo 124 or 147 gr ammo.

Enjoy reading your posts.

Along the lines of MRC's inquiry... Mine has been a total beast. 1400 rounds and this is the first failure of any kind while using 124 or 147 grain ammo. I've been impressed to say the least. I would call it a torture test considering the guns size.

Thanks and good luck with yours.

What do you EDC anyway?

John Stuart Mill

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master

John  -  I am just curious, have you talked to Kimber about your problems?

Actually, I haven't.  I bought it at a gunshow in February and later found that it was missing the  upper left grip screw.  Kimber kindly sent me another free, and I found the setting was stripped...the turkey who sold it to me (parking lot FTF sale) had put a screw in with a little stickum I think.  Anyway, I haven't had time to do much with it and thought after my wife's surgery next week I'll be pretty much stuck at home as a caregiver through rehab and can get some of that stuff done.  First I'll want to put some more rounds through it, but it WILL get fixed...too nice a piece not to make it right.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
What can you do when the threads get stripped anyway? I have a sig that I traded from a guy that has one stripped out on it.

Let us know what you end up with on your solo anyway. I hope it's is as solid as mine has been.

Hope mine just needed a good cleaning after the Georgia Arms: ) I think I'll go run a couple clips through mine in the back yard real quick...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 09:10:26 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
I'm surprised the Georgia Arms gave your Solo problems.  I put hundreds of rounds of the stuff through my CM9 without any problems.

I don't still fire it, I was only using it as break-in ammo for the CM9.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Well after running about 24 through it today I've determined it is definitely sick. It wouldn't extract anything after a good cleaning and all quality high-end hollowpoint stuff. I think perhaps the extractor has been worn down after 1400-1500 rounds. Could be complete coincidence that I was running GA when it failed. The GA .40 has run really well through my Glock 27.

Here are 2 shots of the types of FTE that I am experiencing. Let me know if anyone has an opinion of the cause.

These rounds were fired into a wet Grainger catalog and I thought the hornaday standard load did better than the golden saber +p. Probably not too scientific.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 09:12:11 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill