Author Topic: Herstal FN 5.7 MK2 advice/opinion  (Read 3315 times)

Offline dmunofo

• Sharpshooter
  • 1 year Rohrbaugh owner
Herstal FN 5.7 MK2 advice/opinion
« on: March 24, 2014, 07:20:21 PM »
Hey guys,

I am interested in purchasing a new Herstal FN 5.7 MK2.  I can only read so much online, and watch YouTube videos, so I am coming to you guys for advice.  Does anyone here own this gun and/or shot this gun?? If so.....I would really appreciate your input. 

I guess the main reason for purchase is to round out my collection a bit, and strictly for home use.  Being an active LEO...I carry my K380 all the time, mostly in the summer.  I use my H&K compact 45 going back and forth to work while in uniform, and for winter carry. 

I know they are going for a premium price right now, and the ammo is expensive, but i am ok with that.  With the guns laws really cracking down, I feel that there may come a time when this gun may not even be legal to purchase, so I would rather have it now before that happens. 

Thanks,

Dom
Active LEO, Duty Weapon SIG P220, Off Duty H&K USP Compact .45, K380 2 tone with blue carbon fiber VZ grips, Benchmade Triage side blade,

Offline trident

Re: Herstal FN 5.7 MK2 advice/opinion
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 10:04:29 PM »
I had a 5.7 sold it. I still have a ps90. Carbine is excellent imo accurate never ever had any issue ever ! The pistol is very large no issue really but its full size plus. The pistol I could not learn to use, inaccurate was its main issue as to why I sold it. Fun round and really fun with correct ammo !!

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 11:29:32 PM »
Just buy it. You know you're going to. Lol.

If you don't like it, can you sell a gun easy enough? I guess if it was me and I had the itch AND the cash I would experiment with it. Nobody seems to know what will work best for me (except MRC did recomend the Solo. SPOT ON : ). Everybody has their opinions and they are all unique. that's why their are so many manufacturers and models I guess.

You can't round out a collection much more than with a 5.7. It's elite. If you are looking and thinking of a 5.7 then you have an extensive collection that needs a new addition. Their is only one pistol that fills this niche.

I haven't shot one, but may be adding one to my collection one day too. You can only have so many 1911's and sigs and glocks and pocket pistols. Lol. You need something unique that will reach out there and fill that one hole in the collection.

Then you shoot it. Then you buy the holster for it and all of the other goods that go along with it and realize (your wife already knows this btw) that you need to round out the collection a little more. Lol.

Have fun and I can't wait to hear how it shoots if you get it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 11:01:36 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline dmunofo

• Sharpshooter
  • 1 year Rohrbaugh owner
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 12:28:10 AM »
Josh A...the scary thing is that you make perfect sense!!  I have already looked into start buying ammo to stockpile....especially that this ammo is not cheap and a bit hard to find.    Now I need a bigger safe!! 

With NJ gun laws,  a purchasers permit is only good for 30 days, then I have to reapply.  So I first need to speak with my LGS and see the availability.  Gunbroker and others are inflating the price of these guns right now,  so I need to find out the waiting period.  Being a LEO, I am fortunate enough that I can buy the LE only ammo that is out there on the market. 

I think that this gun will probably be a summer purchase, but I will keep you posted. 

Dom
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 01:11:07 AM by dmunofo »
Active LEO, Duty Weapon SIG P220, Off Duty H&K USP Compact .45, K380 2 tone with blue carbon fiber VZ grips, Benchmade Triage side blade,

bamboobob

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 09:32:56 PM »
I love my 5.7 pistol, call if you wish (  ###pm sent) any time.   Bob

bamboobob

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 09:34:40 PM »
Maybe get ammo ( Gander mtn $25)  + mags first