Author Topic: Kahr CW 380... IT'S BACK ALREADY!! 👍 KAHR  (Read 34028 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Well I was able to buy some .380 range ammo off of a guy today so I can run this Kahr CW.380 through its paces a little more. I shot up all but 50 of my .380's prior to today.

So I now have 500 rounds of .380 to torture this little gun with.

Still on the prowl for some .38o buffalo bore +p JHP

Hope to post some more results of flawless functionality for the little Kahr.

Until then : )
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
I ran 57 rounds through the little Kahr today.

Grrrr. Thought it was a sewing machine until today. Didn't like the federal range ammo. Had about 5 failure to eject out of 50 rounds.

I'll switch ammo up and try again.

It ran the hydra shocks just fine (7)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 11:07:39 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Well it wasn't favoring the Remington range ammo either. I think I had a FTE or 2 out of about 20 rounds. I will clean it and try some more experimentation. I will post results for all you millions closely following this post. Hehehe.

Peace out.

John Stuart Mill

Online tracker

• Grand Master
Please don't allow your ego to elevate to tsunami Hemingway levels; with the Rohrbaugh factory closed we're just a bit short on reading material lately.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
lol.

No kidding 8)

Hopefully it won't be too much longer.

~Charles Dickens... NOT  ;D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 12:21:51 AM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Online tracker

• Grand Master

Keep those cards and letters coming, Chuck. A watched pot never boils.

Offline Ljutic

• Master
Had some fun with these two 380's on Friday.  70 rounds of 6 different loads for the DB and 45 rounds of 5 different for the Glock.  No problems at all so far.  Should make for nice positive reviews.

Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Hey Bruce,

That was you I saw a video of reviewing the G27 with 9mm and .357 sig barrels wasn't it?

Also, the Kahr CW .380 was an attempt to find a good small pocket .380 to replace my kinda unshootable Seecamp with (which happens to be in my pocket as we speak due to some reliability issues with the Kahr)

Do you (or anybody) know what the Kahr likes to eat? So far I have had 0 FTE with primo ammo, but the range stuff isn't doing so well.

I'm kinda a stickler on reliability, so if you have a good idea of the perfect pocket pistol I am all ears.

FOR ME the solo is a touch too big for my pockets, so I carry it IWB.  The Kahr fits the bill IF I can work the kinks out. The R9 is broken (and it struggled with reliability prior to the malfunction)and 1 hair too big FOR MY POCKET. Seecamp is too much of a beast to shoot well FOR ME.

Whatcha think?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:45:10 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Well I ran about 25 federals hard ball through it today and had another jam or two. Then went to federal hi shok hollow point and it ran all 30 without a hickup, so I'm thinking it likes the good stuff. Since .380 is real hard to find and really not any options for heavier gr bullets like 9mm I guess it's as good as I will be able to do.

It did like the Russian tulamo which is the spicier variety, so I guess that kinda confirms my suspicions.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:46:25 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Well after another 100 rounds of various ammo I have experienced various results with reliability

So far this is what I have figured out with the gun

1) decent size and weight for pocket carry

2) will handle +p loads if you can find em in .380

3) really good sights

4) decent accuracy

5) mild recoil

6) doesn't do great with most range ammo so far. Best have been tulamo and blazer aluminum. Don't ask me. Just sayin.

7) likes golden sabers and hydra shocks well. No FTE thus far. Kahr's web site lists these two and hornaday (I think) as good functioners.

8) great buy for the buck at $250-$320

9) build quality not that of a higher end pistol, but it hasn't self destructed like a Seecamp and reliability is as good or better than MY r9

10) very thin

11) all around I like this little pocket gun. If it continues to be 100% with hornaday, hydra shock and or golden sabers (or buffalo bore +p) I will make this my pocket pistol. Due to thin frame and lighter weight it MAY take the place of the r9 when I get it repaired. We'll see.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 06:29:40 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Ordered .380 +p buffalo Bore in both 100 grain and 90 grain from midway this weekend.

I feel like I will be fairly well armed in a pocket carry scenario if the little Kahr cycles the BB +P well. Though it's a bit longer, the working sights, thin design, light weight +P rating and MOST IMPORTANTLY the manageable recoil (quite frankly it's a gravy recoil) make it a MUCH better choice for a pocket .380 than the Seecamp IMO. I have no intention of getting rid of my Seecamp because it is such a novelty, BUT it's not fun, practical or tactical to shoot.

😳UCH is all I can say when I think of it. Lol.

No other feedback eh? Well maybe I will save someone a bit of cash, time at the range and some Carpal Tunnel by posting my opinion.

Kind of hate to say it because Larry seems to be a nice guy and their aren't many guns around made with a old school mindset for quality like Seecamp. I just think its a painful choice to make that I would have done differently had I seen a experience comparison like this one.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Well I received the buffalo bore +p but the 2 boxes came in 80 grain. I actually wanted the 100 gr, but oh well I got what I've got.

Anyone have a good way to do a decent at home expansion/penetration comparison with the golden Sabre?

Maybe some wet newspaper or a wet phone book??

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Well I ran 19 of the +p 80 gr .380 buffalo bore yesterday.

It ran without a hitch and it is loaded in the right front pocket today with a spare mag in the front left pocket.

As I ran it I was again just amazed at the totally manageable recoil and accuracy produced from such a small and inexpensive true pocket pistol. It's not a 9mm, but it's smaller than a R9 with better recoil, sights, and so far more reliable.

So far I am getting 100% reliability out of the golden Sabre, hydra shocks and now buffalo bore +p

Range ammo is scetchy, but that's not unusual for these small pistols. Wish the Glock 42 was this size : )

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Another 150 rounds down the pipe of the CW 380 today.

It likes the Winchester and Remington  better than the federal.

I can tell ya it is a bit picky about what it likes.

Had a ftf(feed) and a few fails to lock back. The worst thing was the annoying habit of not properly chambering the first round though. Shouldn't be a big deal in real life if you carry one in the pipe (I do), but it is at the range.

Still like it a lot for a pocket pistol

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
I have never run any cheap ammo through my P380 and I have never had a failure.

It just like the R9's, find a good SD type ammo that works and stick with it for carry. 

I am very different from you Josh in that I very seldom run more than 2 or 3 magazines through my pocket carry pistols at a session.  This gets rid of the ammo I have been carrying in the loaded pistol and verifies relialility with what I plan to carry.

I broke it in with 4 or 5 different SD type ammo's without a failure, and I now have complete faith in it.