Author Topic: Thinking about getting a CM9  (Read 3076 times)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Thinking about getting a CM9
« on: April 24, 2014, 08:07:12 PM »
In Illinois we have kind of an odd situation, where we had the FOID Act, which allows you to "transport" a firearm, unloaded, in a case or container, and we have court decision that codified a fanny pack as a "case".   We also have a concealed carry law now, but there are a long list of prohibited places, like libraries and any place that posts a ILCS 430 compliant "no guns" sign.

So the odd situation that arises from this is that I am not able to walk into a library with my Rohrbaugh in my pocket.  I could however, unload the R9 in the car and put it in a pack ( like the 5.11 Select Carry Pistol Pouch), and then go to the library.

Well the loading and unloading is really bothersome, and I am thinking of getting a Kahr CM9 to just keep unloaded in a pack, and for those times when I can't carry, I'll leave my loaded R9 in its holster and lock it in the car, and just strap on the pack with the unloaded CM9 (you can transport loaded magazines with the gun, they just can't be in the gun's magazine well, if you had a revolver, the cylinder would have to be empty).

When I set out to buy a pocket pistol, I wanted the smallest, lightest reliable pocket pistol I could get.  The R9 isn't the lightest, but the DB9 which is lighter, had a bad habit, IMO,  of blowing apart.  They've since added a third pin to the gun which supposedly corrects this problem, but they've also changed the ammo recommendation on the DB9 to less than 125gr bullets - and I like the 147gr bullets for SD.  The other gun that was lighter than the R9 was the Kel-Tec PF-9, which was too big for pocket carry IMO.  If I had the money and the Rohrbaugh brothers were currently making R9s - I'd buy another R9.  But I don't have the money to buy another R9.

Also, the size and weight isn't quite as important for carrying in a pack as it is for pocket carry, and actually the must important thing is reliability, price, size and weight, and a trigger that is similar to the R9. 

I've tried the SCCY - horrible trigger and not very thin.

I am looking at a Kahr CM9 - they can be had right now for $320.00

I used to hear great things about the CM9 but lately I have been hearing about problems with the tiny Kahrs - the CM9 and the CW380 and P380.  Problems with QC - the magazine followers getting broken by the feed ramp, and problems with CS - not being able to get in touch with a person, Kahr not responding to e-mails...

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: Thinking about getting a CM9
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 09:46:41 PM »
I'm from Peoria.

The decision is simple. Move to Indy. Lol.

Good luck. I don't know how you can go wrong with the selection personally. It's a lot of pistol for $320. If it's a POJ and you can sell it, you were able to try it out. It is concerning that you couldn't get the factory. I had no problem getting them about 2 weeks ago. AND they do have a great trigger, have great "big boy sights" with the option of night sights including Big Dots and last but not least ... +p rated : )

A lot of fire power for $320 IMO

The CW 380 I recently picked up is really a nice little gun. I would NOT trade a Seecamp for it from a functionality standpoint.

As for the few reliability issues I believe it needs quality ammo personally. I have had 0 FTE FTF out of hallow points. My probs have been with old range ammo.

I think ya can't go wrong, but that's why I have so many guns. Seems I can always justify another purchase. Anyone else relate?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 11:08:47 AM »
Well, I ordered one from Grab-A-Gun, it will probably take a week to get it.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 04:00:37 PM »
Cool. I'm sure you already know this, but incase you don't it does have a 200 round break in if it's like the cw380.

Nice little piece. Let us know your impressions please.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 09:59:54 PM »
Well I can tell you that the "200 round break-in" thing is BS.

Why doesn't Kahr break the pistol in?  Buy a robot that pulls the slide back 200 times before shipping it out the door?

I always take a pistol apart, inspect it, clean it and lube it before going firing with it - but with Kahrs, this is mandatory, the guns often have shavings and crud in them, including gunk in the firing pin channel.  On Kahr Talk, Jocko has laid out the "prepping a Kahr" thread - which amounts to "clean, lube, fluff & buff" and make sure you check that the magazine springs are not in backwards because Kahr still has people at the factory putting them in backwards - for crying out loud, buy a robot already!

This 200 round break in period that Kahr promotes is a way for them to save money on doing the extra work of ensuring good fit & finish.  I know it would cost extra money, but SCCY is able to produce a pistol with better fit & finish than the CM9, and doesn't burden its owners with a 200 round break in period during which time FTEs and FTFs should be forgiven, and the SCCY CPX-2 only costs $246.00

I didn't get the SCCY because it is a double stack so it is a little too bulky and the distance to the trigger was a problem - I couldn't get my pad on the trigger.  So to start the trigger pull, I just sort of got my trigger finger on he right edge of the trigger, start pulling it back and then shift my finger a little to get the pad on it.  The LCP is like that for me - necessitating a change in finger position, or bringing into play a different finger muscle or something - anyway the trigger sucks and I didn't like it, but my point is, if SCCY can create a $246.00 gun with decent fit & finish that doesn't require 200 rounds through to be reliable, then Kahr should be able to also.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 10:15:55 PM »
Completely agree on the 200 round break-in BS. That is just an excuse and nonsense.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 07:02:14 AM »
I don't understand the 200 round break in either.  I have a P40, a PM9, and a P380 and all have worked flawlessly right out of the box.

I really think that they use that statement so new buyers will stick with shooting their new acquisitions instead of sending them back for repair when they won't fire the first box of Walmart Russian made ammo the first trip to the range.

I have had several new, custom built 1911's which have required a break in period though.  Those are the nicest and most accurate pistols I own.  It is very frustrating on the first trip to the range when your $3000 pistol does not work.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 03:35:26 PM »
I really think that they use that statement so new buyers will stick with shooting their new acquisitions instead of sending them back for repair when they won't fire the first box of Walmart Russian made ammo the first trip to the range.

I think it's a way to spend the minimum amount of money with the first few calls.  Every problem short of visible breakage can be dismissed until the owner shoots $60 to $70 of ammo through it.

I am going to follow the recommended "prep" / break in procedure that Jocko outlined on the Kahr Talk forum, and I am hoping for a trouble-free CM9.  But the break-in period is ridiculous.