Author Topic: From a 32, to a 380, to a 9mm - and soon it will reverse  (Read 14586 times)

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
From a 32, to a 380, to a 9mm - and soon it will reverse
« on: May 22, 2014, 09:17:14 PM »
Why stuff a 300 pound girl in a tiny bikini? Why stuff a 9mm in a tiny pistol. I would be happy to see a Colt Pony, or Rorhbaugh in a 32, and long as it was super dependable. You are shooting at 6 feet or less, and I don't want to see a stovepipe. And I don't want to see any 300 pounders in a thong.

I would be happy with a 22 if they were more dependable.

Offline Ljutic

• Master
Re: From a 32, to a 380, to a 9mm - and soon it will reverse
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 10:48:11 PM »
Lucky for you, the Kel-Tec P-32 is available.  It's one of my favorite pocket pistols.

Colt Pony or Rohrbaugh in .32 acp = North American Arms Guardian in .32 acp.  Also currently in production.

Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 06:52:50 PM »
I might also add that the Kahr .380 is a very pocketable piece that is actually reliable (with the right ammo) and great shooting. .380 Gives a more ballistic capability and comes +p and is really smooth shooter in some platforms.

I have a .32 Seecamp. It's not terrible.

LJutic, always enjoy reading your comments.

What do you find in the difference between .32 and .380 +p in your gel tests fired out of small pocket pistols?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 10:42:05 PM »
What do you find in the difference between .32 and .380 +p in your gel tests fired out of small pocket pistols?

I've yet to find a 380 +P HP that penetrates "enough".  Standard pressure JHPs are even worse for penetration.  Standard pressure "range grade" fmj with flat points seem to consistently tumble and penetrate between 12" and 18" from the Kahr P380 with 2.5" barrel.

I pick the fastest FMJ available for the .32 Auto.  Currently it's S&B 71 grain.  If Fiocchi ever gets back to their old velocities, I may switch.  My S&B FMJ testing showed 14" or less penetration from the P-32.

I need to get back to the mouse guns at some point, but right now I'm enamored with 10mm and also on a mission to find a 38 Special +P that will pass the denim test from my Ruger LCR.
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 08:49:48 PM »
Right now I carry a Seecamp 32, a nice small safe gun. The ammo is a pain to find, and expensive.   The other tiny gun is a Baby Browning, (PSA) but I just find striker-fired in my pocket an worrisome proposition.

http://www.seecamp.com/overlays.htm

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 06:22:08 AM »
Rohrbaugh in .32 acp = North American Arms Guardian in .32 acp.  Also currently in production.

Except those teeny tiny sights.

I would be tempted to get an R9 in .32 if they ever made one, but why carry 13.5 ounces of metal in my pocket for a gun that shoots the 32 ACP ?

If Kel-Tec put better sights on their P-32 I would have purchased one by now.

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 08:38:06 PM »
A Colt Pony/Rohrbaugh in 32 ACP

* There would be minimum recoil

* They become more dependable

* You can get Fiochhi 32s for $15 a box of 50

So now you can go out and shoot 250 rounds, and gain confidence in reliability of the gun. Shooting these 9mm micros needs special ammo $$. It's like having sights on Self Defense guns, when average distance is 6 feet or less.

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 09:26:36 PM »

To each his own but in all of my readings and experience I have not heard of anyone who suggests a 32 ACP weapon for primary defensive carry; however, like a .22lr or WMR it is better than nothing except when all it does is to anger the opponent.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 12:23:36 AM »
I can't use a firearm without sights.

I would even consider using a laser except that they're illegal in Chicago.

Some 32 ACP FMJs  penetrate past 12" through 4 layers of denim.  They're not making 70-caliber sized holes, but they have enough oooomph to penetrate vital organs.

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 09:00:22 AM »
I think that most would agree, the most common "self-defense distances" are between 5-15 feet.  Let's suppose for now that is
correct...By the time the pistol could be cleared of the holster, pocket, purse, jacket...whatever and brought upward to a position
where the sights could be used and aligned on a moving target and a round fired, the attacker has had more than enough time to
react to the presence of the gun and have an incredible advantage over the victim...one that cannot be overcome.  The attacker is
not going to wait for you to get into YOUR chosen position.  That would be nice...but it ain't gonna happen.
If you feel you MUST have sights on a pocket pistol then you are not using the pistol the way it was intended.  Accurate point shooting is the solution to the situation described above.  I've heard the practice for this called by many names...Bill Drill...belly shots...quick draw...even "pocket shooting."  Stand 5 ft. from a full man sized target with your hand properly gripping your pistol. Focus your eyes on a small spot just below where the breast bone would be.  On signal, pull your pistol slowly and fire 1 round at that spot.  DO NOT MOVE THE PISTOL ABOVE YOUR BELT.  Repeat the drill SLOWLY increasing the speed.  Again...keep the pistol below your waist.  Learn to keep your elbow close & tight to your body and rotate the pistol upward to the target. 
I think you'll be surprised at how quickly you can pick out different spots with your eyes and HIT them accurately.
I realize ammo is expensive, so you might want to consider trying my personal practice method:
It doesn't matter if you have kids, pets, wife...they all respond similarly to small squirt guns.  The best are cats although grandkids are a close second. ;D 

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 07:48:41 PM »

To each his own but in all of my readings and experience I have not heard of anyone who suggests a 32 ACP weapon for primary defensive carry; however, like a .22lr or WMR it is better than nothing except when all it does is to anger the opponent.

Naturally a 9mm is better than a 32, but it's tough to make Micro Pistols super reliable in 9mm. Then you get the special ammo crap, which is hard to find and $$$. Seecamp 32s like Speer Gold dots - $35 for twenty bullets

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 08:28:25 PM »

A polite gangsta should 'Hold Still' while I take my stance and aim

I think I may just 'Pull and shoot'

I would prefer my 'Car Gun' in my back belt

where the sights could be used and aligned on a moving target and a round fired, the attacker has had more than enough time to  react to the presence of the gun and have an incredible advantage over the victim...one that cannot be overcome.  The attacker is  not going to wait for you to get into YOUR chosen position. 

I doubt 'dis brudder' will wait on you sighting in. I want my gun out and begins to 'Air-rate' him. What I don't want is a gun jamming. My other self defense gun is a Browning HP, sights removed, and slide stop filed. All the gun does is fire 15 rounds of FMJ - $15 a box Fiocchi Ammunition. I have shot 1000 rounds.

Sights, lasers, weaver stance, two handed grip, clearing jams,  - "No thanks". Whatever you do has to be automatic. And situational awareness means you avoid where he is preying. If he shows at the gas pumps, then you get behind the pump. But above all, the last thing you need is a finicky gun.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 08:36:03 PM »

Naturally a 9mm is better than a 32, but it's tough to make Micro Pistols super reliable in 9mm. Then you get the special ammo crap, which is hard to find and $$$. Seecamp 32s like Speer Gold dots - $35 for twenty bullets.

With all the very good Micro Nines and 380's out there, I can see no reason that anyone would consider a 32 ACP pistol for primary carry or even backup for that matter.

I have a R9 which is flawless, 2 Solos that have been flawless, a PM9 and P380 that have been flawless and a Boberg that has never failed me.  They just are not finicky about ammo as you contend.  They just do not like the cheap Russian stuff the guys try to feed them.

As far as cost goes, I am able to get very high quality LE, self defense type ammo all the time now for under $30 for 50 rounds.

I just do not see any need for  a 32 anymore.

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 10:16:08 PM »
Mr MRC

I have a Ruger LC9, and it does eat any ammo, and recoil is tolerable. It's DA, but a tad big for pocket carry. As for a Solo, or a Khar, I am leery of striker-fired guns. But, I am not arguing that 32s are as good as 9mm. My point is that real Micros/pocket guns (Seecamp and Baby Browning) will run better on smaller caliber rounds.

I just prefer a gun that I can put 500 rounds down range, get familiar with, have a decent recoil, learn the dependability of. The other thing is the question of sights in a fast acting, close up encounter. I think the Rorhbaugh, and Colt Pony, are gorgeous guns. My Seecamp is $1.50 a bullet (500 x $1.50 = $750), and your Rohrbaugh is $.50 a round ($250 for 500). I would love a rohrbaugh, if I could afford it.

I looked at a Kel Tec, but talked to the factory rep and he said they prefer $40 a box Win Silvertips - talk about feeding a pig Filet Mignon. From a Rohrbaugh to a Kel Tec - maybe I am bipolar, and having an episode  ...

:)

http://www.seecamp.com/overlays.htm

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 07:22:12 AM »
Everyone has different likes and dislikes I guess.  I actually prefer striker fired pistols as I have found them to be more reliable than the hammer fired pistols I own.  (NO light hits)

I caution you not to put too much emphasis on size when it is performance that we are after.  While my R9 is 100% reliable so far, I never carry it.  I find that the Solo (my favorite), the PM9, and the Boberg are all easier for me to get off 7 rounds with accuracy and speed.  My grip is just not strong enough any more to keep the smaller R9 under control during rapid fire.

I will gladly trade the extra weight and size for the extra performance.  JMO