Author Topic: Stages for a P7's Transformation  (Read 4120 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Stages for a P7's Transformation
« on: November 14, 2010, 08:06:33 PM »
First purchase a Grade A "retiree" from the State Police of Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen) in Germany and add a set of Karl Nill's Walnut Rhomlas grips, just for "show":

Have the piece recoated in CobraChrome by Virgil Tripp (just before he stopped accepting replating orders to concentrate on other aspects of his business), obtain some virtually indestructible Micarta grips from Pete Foldyna and some great gunleather from Matt Del Fatti (ISP-4 shown) and Kevin Manley:

Finally, send it off for a full action job by Teddy Jacobson ("Actions by 'T'"):

And a retired "heeler/squeezer" is now again ready for prime time with an action as smooth as silk and a trigger that breaks crisply at 3.5 pounds -- a fitting and compatible EDC primary to the R9 in the pocket.

[size=10][Edited typos.][/size]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 09:27:21 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Stages for a P7's Transformation
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 08:28:45 PM »
Richard,
    Great looking P7, grips and holster and a wonderful story as well. ;D ;D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Josey Wales

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 07:17:12 AM »
RS,

Very nice indeed!
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 09:14:13 AM »
    Great and very informative tale. The photography isn't too shabby either. ;D I'm going to look into that trigger job a little more, sounds like something I'd like on mine.      Gene
birdman

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 10:04:52 AM »

That is just a superb aesthetic and functional transformation, Richard.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 10:06:07 AM »
Gene,
    You might as well get this one the way you want it or you might have to buy another.  ;D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 10:07:28 AM »
Gene.  Go for it!    :D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 09:59:58 AM »
Thank you, gentlemen.

I mentioned above the holsters from Matt Del Fatti and Kevin Manley, selecting a photograph of Matt's ISP-4 for inclusion in the post. It occurs to me that I should give equal exposure to Kevin's work, which is absolutely superb. So, this is his shark-trimmed Adjustable Paddle Defender, which I configure for cross-draw and use for long automobile trips. It is here shown configured in the vertical position:

This P7 project of mine has spanned more than three years from start to finish but with Teddy Jacobson's amazing action job it is now complete. Permit me therefore to close out with the following photograph. It has been posted before, but it sums up the goal desired and the results achieved:

« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 10:05:50 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Dino

• Master
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 12:53:32 PM »
Man Richard, very, very, nice indeed!  

Wore my P7 last night with my new crossbreed holster and was very satisfied with the carry position and feel.  However your holster is art work at it's best. Nice job.  

Still waiting for my wood grips but love the gun and most of all love the way it shoots!
Carrying with Federal Hydro-shock 147's.

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 12:51:47 PM »
      Richard, I talked with Teddy Jacobson for quite a long time yesterday (isn't he a fascinating person to talk to?) he remembered working on your gun and said to say "hello". Anyway, I talked with him about getting the same action job that you had done on yours. He said that when I get it back that I should try it out and if I still wanted the trigger job done to call him. I'm pretty sure I'll want it done. I found that the hardest thing about talking to Teddy was getting off the phone. ;D He's quite a talker. Thanks again for the names and information.       Gene
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 12:53:24 PM by birdman »
birdman

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 02:58:53 PM »
Gene:

TJ is one of what I fear is a vanishing breed -- a gunsmith nonpareil who settles for nothing less than perfection in his work.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 12:44:02 PM »
Great job on that P7 Richard, it's beautiful. I let my just turned 18 year old daughter shoot one of my P7M8's this past weekend and now she wants one. ::)
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 02:41:23 PM »
Great job on that P7 Richard, it's beautiful. I let my just turned 18 year old daughter shoot one of my P7M8's this past weekend and now she wants one. ::)

Newt:

I congratulate you for introducing your daughter to the P7M8, and I congratulate her for her obviously fine taste in firearms.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 12:15:36 AM »
Threads like this make me regret selling my P7...  (I'm shooting open now, and have decided to just shoot 2011s/1911s...)  
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.