Author Topic: Rotating Magazines?  (Read 1701 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Rotating Magazines?
« on: July 20, 2005, 03:27:43 AM »
OK, so how often should I rotate my magazines in my autos?  The only thing I'd heard about this was a guy at the range complaining about how he had to keep rotating his Speer gold dot .45s in his 1911, because the first bullet in the magazine tended to work loose from the case.

Brad
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Rotating Magazines?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 08:11:53 AM »
When I came out of the Army, years ago, I was rotating magazines every month.  These days, with the improvement in magazine springs, I have become less obsessive/compulsive on the subject.  I now rotate my magazines twice a year -- when I change the clocks.  (I also use the occasion to change the batteries in my smoke detectors.)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Rotating Magazines?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 04:12:46 PM »
"First round bullet loosening''?? I find that hard to see unless it was always the round that sat up top for cocking and locking - excessive feeds etc.

Anyways - yes, springs are way better and I more or less do mine when I think of it - maybe every several weeks.  Even on occasions, as carry R9 is on a shelf next to me in office - just pop out the rounds from that mag and leave it ''relax'' during the day - then stoke up again. ..  or - simply charge another and drop in.

I do this with my SIG too - possibly a little more often but then use that gun for IDPA now and again.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.