Author Topic: Grease baseplates?  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Grease baseplates?
« on: June 18, 2006, 05:57:26 PM »
Any thoughts on greasing the baseplates?  I have some slide glide that should stay put -- and probably keep water out pretty well.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline sslater

• Master
Re: Grease baseplates?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 07:09:11 PM »
Aglifter,
I know your guns live in a hostile environment, but grease anywhere in a magazine system is pretty risky to primers.
Slide Glide is a great product which I use on other guns, but never in the mags.

How about trying EEZOX?  Someone posted a picture of corrosion test specimens treated with all of the popular gun lubes / rust preventatives.  EEZOX was clearly the winner.  I've been using it for at least 15 years.  It's not easy to find in gun shops, but you can buy directly from the manufacturer at  http://www.eezox.com/index.htm  

Steve

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 09:37:35 PM »
I forgot to mention:  Larry Seecamp uses (and recommends)  EEZOX on his pocket pistols.  There was some chatter in the Seecamp forum about EEZOX being a superior anti-rust product, but not the best for lubrication properties.  I don't know where that came from because my personal experience is the stuff lubricates AND protects very well.  The container says, "Premium Gun Care  The Triple Action Solution  Solvent  Lubricant  Rust Preventative"  Sort of like a decathlon champion.  I keep sn aerosol can in my range bag.

Steve

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 02:47:24 AM »
Already being used -- that's why I went a month w.o. stripping the mags down.  With that said, I've never been able to get mine to actually dry until days after I applied it, and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 08:21:47 AM »
I tried Eezox several years ago and also found that I couldn't get it to dry completely, even after several days. I was only applying a very light coat of it.
I recently picked up a new can of it to try again and again, I can't get it to dry completely. I obviously must be appying  too much but it sure doesn't seem like it.
Larry Seecamp actually applies a mixture of Eezox and Militec-1 to his guns before they leave the factory.

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 09:00:58 AM »
EEZOX does seem to stay 'wet' if you just wipe it on.  The instructions on the container say to degrease first in order to remove any trace of other lubricants.  Apply EEZOX sparingly, let it sit for a few hours, and then use a clean rag to remove any excess.
I've found that I have to burnish it into the metal in order to get a dry appearance.  

What made me a believer in EEZOX was an incident I had with a Glock 22 (.40 S&W).  I had been using EEZOX for cleaning & lubrication.  The gun had been fired then left uncleaned in a police property room for six months (a long story with a happy ending) before I could get it back.  There was no rust or fingerprints anywhere on the exterior of the slide, and the barrel was pristine.  I'm still using EEZOX.  ;D

Steve

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 09:29:56 AM »
I'll have to try applying it that way.
Do you use it on your 1911's also? They tend to like lots of lube. I'm all for a dry lube if it eliminates wear as well as anything else.

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 09:51:51 AM »
I've never owned a 1911.  I told myself that I don't want to be bothered stocking too many different calibers of ammo.  But over the years, I've accumulated everything except the .45 ACP.  We'll have to fix that oversight some day.  A friend just picked up two 1911-clone Kimbers because he's a retired Marine, and the Corps has started buying Kimbers in quantity.   I went with him to pick them up.  Nice, nice pieces.  
I have a couple of blued steel revolvers, an H&K USP, a Sig P239, and a couple of stainless revolvers which all get the EEZOX treatment.  
Like most older guys, I like the blue steel guns to look 'wet' - they just seem better protected that way.  The stainless guns get burnished.

Steve

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 06:22:22 PM »
What made me a believer in EEZOX was an incident I had with a Glock 22 (.40 S&W).  I had been using EEZOX for cleaning & lubrication.  The gun had been fired then left uncleaned in a police property room for six months (a long story with a happy ending) before I could get it back.  There was no rust or fingerprints anywhere on the exterior of the slide, and the barrel was pristine.  I'm still using EEZOX.  ;D

Steve

Glock has a tenifer coating on their slide, Chuck Taylor torture tested a Glock 17 and one of his tests was to leave it on the floor of the Pacific Ocean for six months (I think it was six) and when he pulled it out...........ZERO rust! Most modern lubes should protect against rust.

PursuitSS
NRA Endowment Member
Moderator - “80%” Forum AR15.com

Offline TXAGGIECHL

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 07:04:16 PM »
I too stayed away from 1911's for way too long.  
Had Beretta's, S&W revolvers, S&W semi-autos, Glocks & Kel-tec's until I finally decided to give a 1911 a "shot".  I was hooked, and had purchased two within 4 months :)  
(picked up a 5" Springfield MC Operator and a 3" Springfield Micro-Compact).  I never take the other handguns to the range anymore as I enjoy shooting the .45's so much.  Also makes ammo management a breeze.

Both Springfield's have been excellent guns.  The MC Op has been 100% since day one, and the 3" Springfield had some initial hick-ups due to the crappy ILS mainspring housing and too light of a firing pin, but $40 in "Officer sized" parts and springs fixed it right up and it's also been 100%.  

I don't contribute the ILS problem to the gun, as the mainspring housing had a huge bur where the key-lock turns to lock-out the mainspring and it would cause light-strikes (along with the Ti firing pin).  Heck, I'd planned on ripping out the ILS system before I even got the Micro (as I ripped it out on the MC Op as well), the fact that it was causing me problems just led to it getting pulled out quicker & thrown away!  

Locks on guns in my experience cause more problems than they're worth!  Speaking of built-in locks, I bought my father a new S&W 340 (12oz Scandium .357) a couple years ago and it broke internally the first time out on the 8th shot of .38spl wad-cutters!  

I guess that makes me 0 for 2 with the damn things.

Anyways, sorry to drift off-topic...

I've had good luck with Birchwood-Casey's "Sheath" product as a rust preventative.  Spray stuff down I'm not going to use for awhile with the stuff and it stays nice and rust-free.  8)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 08:19:16 PM »
Steve & TXAGGIE:

I don't want to drift this thread, so I'll just post this link to the "Other Guns" topic to show some of what I've done with my favorite 1911 -- John Browning's masterpiece design of which I have been an admirer ever since being issued my first "Slabsides" in 1963   8):

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Other;action=display;num=1145297620

The combination of one of the 1911s as primary and one of the R9s as backup is hard to beat.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"