Author Topic: R9S Stealth Back From Deerpark  (Read 3192 times)

Offline 45ACP2GO

• Sharpshooter
R9S Stealth Back From Deerpark
« on: August 12, 2007, 02:21:31 PM »
Just got back from shooting my pup since getting it back from Deerpark. Think I have discovered some thing.  When I sent it back it had misfires with all types of ammo but from what I recall it was never untill it was hot.

I run 2 mags of Winchester Silvertips 115g jhp without a problem. It was starting to get pretty warm. Loaded up 2 mags of CCI 115g fmc and fired them through no problem, then started on the 3rd mag of CCI, its pretty hot now and on the 3rd round I had a misfire and fired on 2nd trigger press. Next mag of CCI I had a misfire on round 3 or 4. Went off on 2nd press.

Let it cool off without cleaning, 2 mags of Silvertips, no problem, then another misfire on a cci round. I didn't have any other type of 9mm with me. Never had a problem with Silvertips even when it was hot.  

I think I will stick with the Winchester Silvertips, what I will do now is when ever I go out on a shooting session just shoot 2 mags of what ever and see if I have any type of misfire. No feed or eject problems, has been perfect. I can live with 100% in 2 mags if it is in fact a heat related problem.  

Wonder if anyone else has had a similar situation.

NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT YOUR PUP!
CHECK 360

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
Re: R9S Stealth Back From Deerpark
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 12:44:33 PM »
I don't know if this will show up on a search function-I look for things and can't find all the time,but YES-it has been discussed a few times..

The pup heats up after a couple of mags,creating a bit tighter tolerance..

I normally shoot a couple of mags,and that's all,even when "breaking in" I would shoot a couple and let the pup cool..

I never shot anything over 6-7 mags in a sitting at anyone time..

Now,2 mags every 3-4 weeks or so..

Shoot a little-carry a lot!! ;)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline 45ACP2GO

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 05:56:01 PM »
WS6,

I will run 1 or 2 mags of 115g jhp Winchester Silvertips when ever I go out to the range. If I ever have a misfire on the first 2 mags before it heats up I will then retire the pup. HOPE THAT DAY NEVER COMES.

I have never had a ftf or fte on it. That's a good thing.
CHECK 360

Offline pbwe

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 10:45:01 PM »
There is something machinists use called layout dye, typically blue or red.  It can easily be cleaned off with solvent.  They spray, or paint, it on and then scribe the geometry points for metal removal.  

In the context of misbehaving guns, might it be useful the dye the chamber surfaces of the gun to see where dynamic contact is being made?  (oil the mechanism as normal).  This may indicate the interfacing features of interest toward identifying cause for problems.  First incidence may not be immediately obvious, use of a loupe may be useful, but the effect of successive incidence may become evident.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 10:50:42 PM »
WS6,

I will run 1 or 2 mags of 115g jhp Winchester Silvertips when ever I go out to the range. If I ever have a misfire on the first 2 mags before it heats up I will then retire the pup. HOPE THAT DAY NEVER COMES.

I have never had a ftf or fte on it. That's a good thing.

If you have a FTF it may not be the fault of the R9 but the ammo.  There has been a lot of problems lately with inconsistent ammo from the same manufacturer - mainly lengths of rounds.  I believe Karl called Larry Seecamp to discuss this.

The rule of thumb is if you have shot a few mags from the same box with no problems then save enough for your carry ammo.  

« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 10:55:14 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 12:36:27 AM »
I believe that Larry thinks that the "new" STHPs are good to go...
He has recently said that he has been testing the .32 with this.. :)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline marvin

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 06:17:06 AM »
Dear 45
Sorry about  your glitch. I use 115 GDHP's and they work for me. Off and on over the years I've heard some complaints about CCI primers being too hard for some guns.If the STHP's work for you stick with them.I'd recommend that you just only change one variable at a time,ie ammo.Other wise things can get too confuseing.
For myself my main concern was that if I ever needed to pull the trigger I wanted the gun to go bang.In a cold gun if it goes bang six times in a row its done its job as far as i'm concerned.I'll leave the torture testing to others.

Good luck
     jeff

Offline 45ACP2GO

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 01:18:02 PM »
WS6,

The pup is much better, before I sent it back any and all ammo would have 2 - 3 misfires in 20 rounds. The CCI I figured would cause problems. My best ammo in it is the Silvertips and Goldots.  Like WS6 says if it will go bang 7 times in a row when its cold its done its job.

I have some blue Dyechem which would work but I think I will leave well enough alone and let the R brothers do the engineering.
CHECK 360

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 03:05:37 PM »
Yes, let the R bros handle the fine adjustments.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline 45ACP2GO

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 08:53:08 PM »
WS6,

A friend of mine owns a small gun shop in Franklin and he just got me a 50 round box for $32.00, all ammo is going up 15% in September so you should load up on ammo now.
CHECK 360