Author Topic: New R9s Stealth  (Read 3626 times)

Offline aaronson

New R9s Stealth
« on: April 13, 2009, 05:32:14 PM »
I just picked up a new R9s Stealth last Friday and have yet to shoot it; however I will say it looks to be just what I am after.  I can only pocket carry during the week at work and wanted the most bang I could get in true pocket pistol (sorry I don't consider a JFrame a pocket pistol, at least a pants pocket - guess my pockets aren't big enough).

I am currently waiting on an order of  Winchester Silver tips which are en route to me.  Got to say, as someone posted earlier today, I went into this knowing of the potential issue with ammo.   I hope I am fortunate enough to get one that feeds reliably.

Offline RickP

• Expert
Re: New R9s Stealth
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 05:46:29 PM »
Welcome and congrats on finding ammo!!!  ;D

I am sure you will find that your R9 will serve you well.
Looking forward to a range report.

Rick

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 06:59:55 PM »
Welcome, Aaronson!!  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 09:45:45 PM »
I have an R9 Stealth on order which should be received within a week to 10 days. It is my third R9.

I intend to stick to Winchester and Speer ammo and I would be grateful to learn of your experiece with this ammo.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Scax

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 12:35:13 PM »
Hi Gents,

My new R9s Stealth is enroute to my FFL and I should have it late next week.  I plan to try Hornady's new Critical Defense ammo which is standard pressure.  I use +P 124gr Gold Dots in my Glock 19, but not likely a good idea in the Rohrbaugh.
BTW, I have absolutely no problem with the fact that an R9 may not like some ammo because it's a very specialized-purpose gun meant to do well what it is designed to do -- save your life in situations where a bigger gun wouldn't have been brought into play in time.  Anyway, who ever heard of trying to feed a Ferrari the cheapest gas you can find?  The Rohrbaugh is the Ferrari of firearms and anyone who has a problem with spending $2. on the bullet which saves his life, is precisely the kind of person I try to avoid as they consider their life worth less than I value my own.  Where life is cheap is where my life it cheap, too.  Not going there...
And if the R9 doesn't like the Hornady rounds, I'll simply go with what is the best recommended round instead - silver tips or whatever - no problem.
Charles

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 12:45:43 PM »
welcome and congrats on your new Stealth, wear it in good health.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 01:24:59 PM »
aaronson:

Welcome to the campfire! Let us know how your new masterpiece performs for you.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 04:12:25 PM »
Welcome, Scax!  Congratulations on the purchase of the Rohrbaugh Stealth.  Looking forward to how the Hornadys perform.    :)   :)  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 03:21:31 PM »
I just picked up my new Stealth and it is the first time I have held it, only having seen photograph prior to receipt of gun today.

I ordered it without sights to replicate real life usage via point shooting. It takes getting used to a gun without sights but I got what I asked for.

For those of you lucky enough to find an R9 at an FFL dealer, fine. However, for those of you who are on the fence and moving toward purchase of an R9 there is only one place to go, in my view, and that is Tom Watson at The Irish Guard.

Apart from Tom's integral role in this forum, he also enjoys an unrivaled rapport with the factory.

Well done, Tom, and many thanks.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 08:34:44 PM »
ACP, you are welcome "grasshopper", I thank you very much for your business. Tom

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 12:03:50 PM »
Shot my R9 Stealth today after 5 days of ownership. I love it. No stovepipes. Ne FTF.

What's more, I fired clip with different types of ammo (Hornady TAP and Golden Sabre) and there were no problems.

Lesson learned: 147 gr. is my new best friend. Recoil is stout but I have gotten religion.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 01:09:01 PM »
ACP, congrats, I was wondering when you were going to take the pup for a good walk.  Tom

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 02:03:20 PM »
Tom,

No walk. I drove to pick up that Golden Sabre stuff we discussed yesterday. On the way back I pulled off to the side of a mountain road, made sure my backdrop (beautiful stream) was safe and pulled the trigger multiple times.

I was not concerned about accuracy as much as acquiring confidence in the gun regarding FTF/stovepipes and it was the best experience I have had with the three (3) R9s I have owned.

There will be time to go to the range and practice point shooting my sightless R9 but today was Day One. Oh yeah, almost forgot, You Were Right.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 02:05:32 PM »
You join some elite company in the 147 gr. arena; Richard relies
on that load also. There must be something to it.

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 02:22:34 PM »
Tracker:

It is better than I conveyed above. I placed Hornady and Golden Sabre interchangeably in the same clip! Love it.

Richard's posts gave me incentive to purchase the Golden Sabre and 147 grain is the only size bullet I have found.

If my Stealth wishes to feast on 147 grain and performs like it did this morning, I am not changing anytime soon