Author Topic: August G&A  (Read 1499 times)

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
August G&A
« on: July 12, 2009, 03:18:49 PM »
August Guns & Ammo has an interesting article "The Eternal Tradeoff" written about the quirks of ultra compact guns.

Although Rohrbaugh is not mentioned, the point of the article affirms what I have learned about us wanting +P ammo useage for our R9s. Tom Watson has made the point best, for me, on this forum and during a phone conversation.

While the article may cause angst in those intent upon being able to use +P ammo in the R9, the article advises that useage of +P would be wasted on so small a gun.

+P issue is off the table for me.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: August G&A
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 04:35:21 PM »
I so agree.  The probable increase in recoil alone, would be enough for most not to use it.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 09:01:07 PM »
I don't think the recoil would bother me too much, I had a 9mm  derringer and a S&W  340SS in 357mag that weighed 13oz, pretty snappy with full power mag loads. I think using +P ammo in a barrel less than 3", there would not be enough gain to warrent subjecting the pup and user to the extra pounding, slower followup shot and possible loss of grip. For extra punch I'll holdout for the R45s.
John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 09:31:39 PM »
The S&W revolver John mentions was referred to in the article. Barrel length clearly comes into play, whether pistol or wheel gun.

Short barrel in any gun does not have the length to properly engage/utilize excess powder in +P format. This is not all that is covered in the article which I recommend reading.

"Tradeoff" is the operative word in the article which refers to the tacit decision we make when we carry small guns.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 11:22:09 PM »
Exactly.  According to the article,  there is no gain in performance in a short barrel using +P to warrant it even if it were built to accept it; more noise.  

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 08:21:48 AM »
There you go. There was also some interesting stuff regarding the physics of "boom in a small gun" but I will defer to the article.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 10:33:38 AM »
It is an interesting article.