Author Topic: R45: Fact or Myth?  (Read 4889 times)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: R45: Fact or Myth?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 09:42:46 PM »
Now let's talk Rohrbaugh into making it that way.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 03:04:59 PM »
I haven't been around much lately, but I thought there was supposed to be a R45 prototype at the last Shot Show if I recall correctly. I am definitely interested in a R45, but it would probably have to be a metal framed gun in order to make it concealable enough while still having the strength to handle 230gr. ammo, (hopefully +P too).

I'm still waiting for a stainless framed R9 that can handle +P. Kahr's PM45 is too large for pocket carry, unless you have a large coat pocket, so the gun hasn't really interested me. I hope the R45 is smaller.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 05:23:30 PM by PsychoSword »

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 03:35:16 PM »
Psycho: If you consider the origin of this string you will see that it was my goal to force some sort of reponse that would be definitive as to the R45 status. (Didn't work).

As to (R9) SS frame; good luck. Defintely a great idea but it is a matter of cost. Aluminum castings and finishing operations are a fraction of the cost of SS. Titanium would be a better idea than SS frame but that, again, is cost prohibitive.

A SS frame, (or titanium), for the R45 for the reasons you mention above? How would I know?

We have dealt elsewhere in this forum as to the +P R9 capability and I concur with those who point out the barrel length of the R9 as rendering the need for +P irrelevant.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 05:22:34 PM »
I agree about the barrel length making it not really worth it, but all of my ammo is +P, so not being able to fire ammo from my main gun, or ammo stash in the R9 is annoying.

What I would like to see out of the R45 is something like the AMT Backup Hardballer .45, only smaller and more refined (obviously  ;D ).

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 06:15:20 PM »
Maybe they could use Scandium, like S&W doe's, light and strong.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 07:47:03 PM »
I handled procurement contracts in my career for aluminum and titanium castings, as well as SS forgings, but I honestly don't know what scandium is; apart from S&W's useage of it for their lightweight guns.

I don't like the lightweight Smith guns. First, there is no "heft". It doesn't feel like a gun. Further, I found +P revolvers very uncomfortable to shoot.

By contrast, I find the R9 enjoyable to shoot and nothing is more satisfying than a nice hollow point .45ACP going out of my Glock 36. Well, okay, there are more satisfying things in life but not on this forum.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 07:50:33 PM »

Maybe carrier landings?

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 09:41:53 PM »
tracker: Touche'; you the man, but I was thinking of something a little more amorous.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 09:50:36 PM »
Well, in response to the original post, I can continue to assure everyone that the R-45 will not be at the SHOT Show in any form -- prototype or otherwise.  This comes right from the top.

In point of fact, the R-brothers are not that far along.  While work is being done on the R-45 concept, its not anything ready for prime time.  Maybe SHOT 2011...  

When the factory is ready to release more info on the R-45, you will hear it here first.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 12:05:48 AM »
Thanks for the update, and glad I got the Kimber it is a very nice shooting gun, and easy to CC in an OWB.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 10:03:06 AM »
Well, in response to the original post, I can continue to assure everyone that the R-45 will not be at the SHOT Show in any form -- prototype or otherwise.  This comes right from the top.

In point of fact, the R-brothers are not that far along.  While work is being done on the R-45 concept, its not anything ready for prime time.  Maybe SHOT 2011...  

When the factory is ready to release more info on the R-45, you will hear it here first.

Now we know.  Thanks for the update as well.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 12:40:51 PM »
I have mine...    Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 05:47:08 PM »
Some have all the perks!