Author Topic: Am I The Only One...  (Read 4894 times)

Offline Z

• Grand Master
Re: Am I The Only One...
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 03:37:27 PM »
My vote is to carry a second magazine if needed. ;D

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 03:56:52 PM »
That's not a vote; that's an alternative!    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Alphonso

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 07:32:40 PM »
Apparently I (the OP) blaspheme... ;)

I think my R9 is the finest small pistol made to date.  I carry when I can't carry a larger pistol (which is very often).

I would like a 7+1 so that the grip was slightly longer and so it would hold one more round.  

If you were as poor a shot as I, you would want an extra round too...

**We Don't Rent Pigs***

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 07:56:23 PM »
I agree with Alphonso.  Adding a little length to the grip would help considerably in controlling the gun when firing.  Many of us add extensions anyway.  In my opinion, the extra length does little to harm the concealability.  It would alter the looks of the gun for the worse though.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 08:47:01 PM »
I think we all have our rathers; nothing wrong with wanting.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 06:21:34 PM »
Some of you guys are scaring me because I can't believe this thread would even be started.

Let me get this straight; we have one of the smallest and highest quality 9mm defensive pistols ever produced, and now some people want to make it LARGER?

If I want larger (dictated by desired 7+1 capacity), I'd buy a Ruger LC9 at a fraction of the cost of the Rohrbough.

Hell, I'd ask for a 5+1 or even a 4+1 Rohrbough if I thought I could hold it and shoot it properly.

I thought that reliability and high power combined with deep concealment was what the entire Rohrbough concept was all about.
Take away any of those features and you no longer have a Rohrbough. You'd have any one of a dozen other lesser pistols that can be had at any sporting goods store.

Please, no more talk of a bigger Rohrbough.  :(

Amen Brother!
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 08:38:21 PM »
The R9 is what I consider to be the ultimate pocket pistol. A pocket pistol is what I consider to be the backup to a primary handgun or, if carried without a primary, an up-close-and-personal self-defense weapon. I consider its purpose to be (1) allowing me to deal with an immediate threat to me or mine, and/or (2) to give me the time required to fight my way to a more potent weapon -- preferably a rifle or shotgun. The way I figure it, if I can't accomplish that with a loaded R9 and one spare magazine, I've "had the schnitzel" anyway.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Alphonso

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 12:04:53 AM »
...Please, no more talk of a bigger Rohrbough.  :(

Lots of people make their R9 "bigger" by using a grip extension to make the gun easier to hold on to.  I'd like to have the slightly longer grip and get an extra round in the bargain.  

Rohrbaugh could (should they wish) make both a 6+1 and 7+1 model.  I expect the engineering on this change would be relatively simple.  

I'd buy one in a heartbeat...
**We Don't Rent Pigs***

Offline Carter

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 10:16:04 AM »

Lots of people make their R9 "bigger" by using a grip extension to make the gun easier to hold on to.  I'd like to have the slightly longer grip and get an extra round in the bargain.  

Rohrbaugh could (should they wish) make both a 6+1 and 7+1 model.  I expect the engineering on this change would be relatively simple.  

I'd buy one in a heartbeat...

Well then, let me play devil's advocate...

Let's design it.
Since the grip is slanted, adding a round would make the R9 a smidgeon longer. So let's make it 5.8" inches long instead of the current 5.2" long. (You get that, right?... adding a round to the slanted grip would extend the grip further back as well as down).
Let's keep the R9/7+1 at .812" thick at the slide. No reason for a dimensional change there.
But for height, we need to add quite a bit for the extra round and spring to accommodate it with follower, so I think we're looking at a new height of the "High Cap"  ;D R9 of maybe 4.3" instead of the current 3.7".
Lastly, we're going to have to have a heavier pistol due to the extended frame and magazine, so adding an arbitrary couple of oz. or so is probably about right. So now we have a "High Cap" R9 that weighs 16 oz. instead of the original 13.5 oz.

To recap, our new High Capacity R9 is now 5.8" long, same thickness, 4.3" in height, and 16 oz. inweight.

I wish to announce that you can, right now, today, buy your brand new "R9", and just for you, and if you act at your own leisure whenever you get around to it, you can buy it at about a third of the cost of the original R9.
This new High Capacity R9 7+1 pistol has a new model name. It's called a "Ruger LC9".

I'm liking it.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:20:00 AM by Carter »

Offline Alphonso

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 10:36:41 AM »

Well then, let me play devil's advocate...I'm liking it.  ;D

I am not an engineer.  Your estimates of increased height seem about right to me.  Your estimates for increased weight and length seem excessive.

Maybe you could measure your R9 with the mag extension on it...
**We Don't Rent Pigs***

Offline Carter

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 10:53:13 AM »

I am not an engineer.  Your estimates of increased height seem about right to me.  Your estimates for increased weight and length seem excessive.

Maybe you could measure your R9 with the mag extension on it...

I don't believe that the mag extension would fully allow what is needed for an extra round.
Still, I was just making the point that adding a round capacity to the R9 would make it a different pistol.
I'm just trying to say that I don't personally want a different pistol in any way from what the R9 is right now.
With any change, there is going to have to be compromise.
And once I arrive at something that works perfectly for me, I'm not generally willing to compromise the reasons I bought that product for in the first place.

That's all I'm sayin'.  ;)

And by the way, I actually do plan on picking up an LC9 when they become more available just for grins, and it looks like a reasonably nice, inexpensive pistol I could keep in a lockbox in my truck.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:59:03 AM by Carter »

Offline Alphonso

• Expert
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 11:17:08 AM »
...I'm not generally willing to compromise the reasons I bought that product for in the first place...

If Rohrbaugh made a 7+1 it wouldn't necessitate compromise on any body's part.  One could or could not buy one as they saw fit.  

Me, I own and carry an R9 and am very happy with it.   If the grip was just a smidge longer I could get two full fingers on it.  
**We Don't Rent Pigs***