Author Topic: And another R9S newbie owner  (Read 9543 times)

Offline 9mm@FortHood

And another R9S newbie owner
« on: May 01, 2012, 06:36:58 PM »
Hello all,

After reading about and researching the R9 (Google, Yahoo & this forum) I would like to say hello and thanks to all the members here for making this an interesting and informative forum.

After months of research (including running a “GUNFAX” with Maria), I ended up buying a used Stealth online at GB and am quite happy with the purchase so far.  I received the gun, took it apart, cleaned it and reassembled it.  I found the grip screws to be a little loose so I tightened them up. The next day I headed off to the range.  I alternated between the R9 and my Beretta 92FS.  I was using WWB and also shot some Winchester Luger (Parabellum) 115 GR. SilverTip Hollow Point.  The R9 liked both and it had no problems – shot a total of 42 rounds.  It did come with the stock Rohrbaugh grips and it did become a little squirmy in the hand due to the Texas warmth, humidity and slightly moist hands.  Best R9 shot group at 15 feet was egg shaped (1.9” x 2.4”)

For those members who are using aftermarket grips (I’m considering VZ Grips, black, checkered), do they seem to help holding on to the gun?  I have large hands and usually wear x-large gloves for work and cold weather.

Also, after I got home from that range trip, I found that all 4 grip screws had gotten loose to various degrees.  I’ve been reading here { told you all it is a great place ;) }, about some o-rings available for the screws.  How are those working out for those who are using them?

As for dis- and re-assembling the R9, I have to love David’s SlideBlock.   Definitely made that job a breeze.

Thank you all again for making this a terrific and very informative place.

Sincerely,
Roger @FortHood

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: And another R9S newbie owner
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 07:06:37 PM »
Roger:

Welcome to the Forum, congratulations on selecting what I consider to be the finest pocket pistol yet designed, and thank you for your service to our country.

Since I am probably the original "apostle" advocating the use of O-rings to secure the R9's grip screws, I should leave the reviews to others. All I can say is that I've been using them for years and they work for me. I adopted the practice after having to use a damaged screw remover in a rotary drill set on slow reverse to remove a screw that had been secured with Loctite and then stripped when I tried to loosen it using a substandard hex key. That was early on after I had taken delivery of my R9 in May 2004.

John ("Yankee") has the O-rings in stock and can supply you with as many as you think you might need over time. Check out his thread on the subject in the Classified section of the Forum.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 07:27:35 PM »
Roger

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase.

I use the black checkered VZ grips. They do aide in gripping the gun. I also use a grip extension that helps as well.

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 07:46:22 PM »
Roger,

Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for the range report and congrats on your newly acquired pup.

-Adam
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 07:54:40 PM »
Roger.  Welcome to the Forum and congrats on your decision and purchase of the Stealth.  The VZ grips and the O-Rings are certainly good additions to the R9.  Again, welcome and enjoy.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 10:44:12 PM »
Roger, a welcome from me as well. ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline 9mm@FortHood

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 01:30:05 PM »
Richard - Thank you for the welcome and your insight on the o-rings.  Also, from a family of vets "thank you" for your service too.

Roger:

Welcome to the Forum, congratulations on selecting what I consider to be the finest pocket pistol yet designed, and thank you for your service to our country.

Since I am probably the original "apostle" advocating the use of O-rings to secure the R9's grip screws, I should leave the reviews to others. All I can say is that I've been using them for years and they work for me. I adopted the practice after having to use a damaged screw remover in a rotary drill set on slow reverse to remove a screw that had been secured with Loctite and then stripped when I tried to loosen it using a substandard hex key. That was early on after I had taken delivery of my R9 in May 2004.

John ("Yankee") has the O-rings in stock and can supply you with as many as you think you might need over time. Check out his thread on the subject in the Classified section of the Forum.

Offline 9mm@FortHood

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 01:52:12 PM »
Z - Thanks for the welcome.  I will be getting the grips - any recommendations  on where (forum members maybe?) to get them?  I found the company website and also seen them on Amazon (from VZ there).  Luckily this gun came with 2 Pearce Grip extensions.  One grip ext was installed, but the 2nd one is missing the adapter plate.  I ordered a black mag (and 4 new springs + DeSantis Holster) from Maria to do away with the silver streak (ss mag showing through) between the frame and the mag ext.  The black mag looks great and the DeSantis fits nicely in my Levi's.  Now if only the mag release could be made black, lol.

As reads: Pierce Grip
Is amended to read:  Pearce Grip

Roger

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase.

I use the black checkered VZ grips. They do aide in gripping the gun. I also use a grip extension that helps as well.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 07:33:08 PM by 9mm@FortHood »

Offline 9mm@FortHood

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 01:54:35 PM »
Thank you for the welcome Adam.  I'm Loving it - I find myself carrying it all the time when I leave the house.

Roger,

Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for the range report and congrats on your newly acquired pup.

-Adam

Offline 9mm@FortHood

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 02:12:32 PM »
kjtrains - Thank you for the welcome and your advice re: VZ grips and o-rings.  Looks like I'll be spending some money shortly  :(   :)

Roger.  Welcome to the Forum and congrats on your decision and purchase of the Stealth.  The VZ grips and the O-Rings are certainly good additions to the R9.  Again, welcome and enjoy.

Offline 9mm@FortHood

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 02:14:41 PM »
Thank you John and you'll be hearing from me very shortly.

Roger, a welcome from me as well. ;D

Offline sdlsaginaw

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 03:02:22 PM »
VZ grips are awesome and have helped a lot.  I used Vibra-Tite VC-3 on my screws and is has appeared to work.  The local fastener supply had it in little packets.

Offline 9mm@FortHood

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 10:47:05 PM »
Thank you for the info on the Vibra-Tite and the VZ grips.  I ordered my VZ grips online this afternoon only to find out (after receiving 3 emails from VZ with the final invoice in email #3) that they are "BACKORDERED".  That "BACKORDERED" part was not mentioned anywhere until the 3rd email...  I also ordered the o-rings from Yankee and I'll see how those work out.  Those o-rings and screws have already been shipped by John.  TY again for the Vibra-Tite info.

VZ grips are awesome and have helped a lot.  I used Vibra-Tite VC-3 on my screws and is has appeared to work.  The local fastener supply had it in little packets.

Offline m9x18

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 11:49:43 PM »
You have chosen wisely. The R9 is a fantastic little pocket pistol. And from one vet to another, welcome aboard!
Robert

All that is complex is not useful and all that is useful is simple. -- Mikhail Kalashnikov

Offline 9mm@FortHood

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 10:10:09 AM »
Hi Robert, Thank you for the welcome and unless I'm way off, based on your post count - welcome aboard too (of course from vets to vet).  I studied the R9 for about 7 months before I finally pulled the trigger ;)  Now it is time to customize it and make it truly mine.

You have chosen wisely. The R9 is a fantastic little pocket pistol. And from one vet to another, welcome aboard!