Author Topic: Essay on owning/carrying.  (Read 5731 times)

Offline Seven

• Sharpshooter
Essay on owning/carrying.
« on: May 03, 2006, 04:49:57 PM »
Hey everyone.

Forgive me if this isn't the right place, is too long, or seems inappropriate. But I wrote this essay/column on owning/carrying for a liberal political forum (it's directed towards those who are ambivalent or hostile to RKBA, and generated a lot of good discussion) and thought some here might enjoy it. I'm also gonna post it over on the Steyr forum, where I'm a member, but that's it. Someone wants to cross-post it elsewhere, feel free.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you own a fire extinguisher?  Why?
                                                James Downey

Do you own a fire extinguisher?  Why?  Are you expecting a fire?  Or do you have some sort of left-over juvenile desire to play fireman, a private macho image of rushing into a burning building to save a child?  Don’t you know that improperly used, a fire extinguisher can be dangerous to yourself and others?  And there have been “studies” done that show people who own fire extinguishers are actually more careless with fire risks, thinking that they’ll always be able to resort to their fire extinguisher to solve the problem.  Besides, firefighters are always right there when you need them, and can put out any fire for you, so there's no point in having your own fire extinguisher..

How about an emergency first-aid kit?  Do you have one of those?  Why?  Are you expecting to injure yourself?  Or do you have some sort of left-over juvenile desire to play doctor, a private macho image of saving someone from bleeding to death with an improvised tourniquet?  Don’t you know that improperly used, medical supplies and equipment can be dangerous to yourself and others?  And there have been “studies” done that show people who own first-aid kits are actually more careless in general, thinking that they’ll always be able to resort to their medical supplies to repair any injury they sustain.  Besides, Emergency Medical Technicians or doctors are always right there when you need them, and can instantly patch you up if you get injured, so there's no point in having your own first-aid kit.

Are these responses to being prepared absurd?  Yeah.  But they are exactly the sorts of responses I get when people find out I have a permit for carrying a concealed weapon, and generally carry a pistol whenever and wherever I can legally do so.  And my experience is not at all unusual - most gun owners encounter the same sort of reaction from non-gun owners.  We’re asked if we’re expecting to have a shoot-out in the supermarket.  We’re asked if we have some childish fantasy about playing cops & robbers.  We’re told that if we want to play with guns and shoot people that we should join the military.  We’re confronted with facts that guns are inherently dangerous to ourselves and others, and that “studies” have shown that owning a gun makes it more likely that we will behave in such a fashion as to need to resort to using one to get us out of a dangerous situation.  And besides, there’s always a cop around when you need one, just to protect you, so there’s no need to have a weapon for self defense.

Are there gun owners who think that carrying a weapon makes them invincible, and they therefore go around with a chip on their shoulder, putting themselves in dangerous situations thinking that they can always whip out their pistol and escape?  Yeah, probably.  But that is no more the typical mindset of a gun owner than is the notion that someone who owns a fire extinguisher is going to be careless with fire risks.  Are guns inherently dangerous, and if used improperly present a threat to the owner and anyone else in the vicinity?  Definitely.  Which is why anyone who carries a weapon has a responsibility (usually mandated by law in the state which issued their concealed carry permit) to know how to safely handle and use a firearm, how to safely store it, and when it can be legally used in defense of self or another.  And are there gun owners who think that they’re some kind of auxiliary police force, ready to jump in and right any criminal wrong they see being committed?  Yup.  In fact, a lot of people who legally carry a firearm do so precisely because there are situations where intervening could save the life of a loved one, a friend or even a stranger.  But that doesn’t mean that they are wanna-be cops.  Rather, they’re just trying to help contribute to their own safety and the safety of others.  The police, firefighters and EMTs can’t be everywhere.  We do have a responsibility to protect ourselves, to make prudent preparations in the event of an unexpected turn of events.  That means having a fire extinguisher handy in case of a fire.  It means having a first aid kit, and knowing some basic medical skills for dealing with an emergency.  And for me it means having a gun available as a tool for self protection.  Your level of comfort with how you are prepared for what situations may well be different, but that does not mean that my decision, and the decision of millions of other Americans, to legally and safely carry a concealed weapon is wrong or paranoid.  

Like Science Fiction?  Read my novel for free:  
http://www.communionofdreams.com/

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Essay on owning/carrying.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 06:19:19 PM »
Seven:

Excellent essay!  Thanks for sharing it.  

Keep spreading the word.  If you convince one person in ten, you have advanced the cause significantly.  And if that person convinces one in ten, and so on, and so on, we shall be able to bequath to the next generation those fundamental (but endangered) Second Amendment rights which the previous generation has bequeathed to us.

RKBA!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline dfsutton

• Sharpshooter
  • US Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 06:56:31 PM »
Bravo!

I completely agree with everything you wrote above. I find it ludicrous that people think that there local Police will be there just at the moment to stop a violent attack on them. As I've always said, "Laws don't stop people from commiting violent crimes. Laws are just used to decide punishments after a violent crime is committed." All that and I consider myself a liberal. Go figure.
"All that is thought should not be said, all that is said should not be written, all that is written should not be published, all that is published should not be read."

- Rabbi Menachem Morgenstern

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 07:19:31 PM »
Excellent!  Thanks for that fine post.

Offline Seven

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 10:26:45 PM »
Thanks guys!

Someone over on the Steyr Club suggested posting a link to where my essay was, so they can see the discussion.  You can find it here:  http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/5/3/131130/7196 and will see that I'm hardly the only one in that forum arguing for RKBA.    Yeah, a lot on the left are still stuck on "guns are EVIL" from the BS they've been fed, but there's a lot of us working to change that mindset, at least one step or person at a time.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 12:07:47 AM »
On the flip side: "Robert Heinlen's contention that an
armed society is a polite society, like most truths, has
two edges. If you choose to go armed, you had better
be polite as well".

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 12:20:06 AM »
Says it all - like I say to some folks - ''you gonna drive off today with no spare tire - because for some reason you think there'll be no flat today"?

We all bear responsibility for our own safety and for sure, cannot in any way expect LE to cover that.  The responsible CCW is NOT looking for a chance to kill - rather the opposite - he/she is tho making sure that if a threat is made to their life, they have at least a suitable means to deter and stand a better chance of living their natural term.

The other thing which is both IMO funny and also facetious - is to take anti who will at least partly listen - and place your carry piece, loaded - on a table.  Step back and ask them to wait.  As their patience expires they probably ask ''WTH are you doing''?

Answer? - ''Waiting for that evil gun to starting firing and killing folks!'' ;)  It is a tool - and so will not go on a killing spree, any more than a grease monkey's wrench will suddenly start splitting folk's skulls!

We have to keep driving the message home and let logic take the place of misplaced gut emotions.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Seven

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 09:07:35 AM »
Funny you should mention the 'spare tire' example - I had originally planned on using that one as well as the fire extinguisher & first-aid kit, but wanted to keep the piece to 800 words so that I could get it run in your standard newspaper column space.  So decided to drop that one.  

Love the idea about setting a gun on the table!  

Offline BlueGrips

• Expert
Re: Essay on owning/carrying
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 07:08:23 PM »
 I was reading Patrick Sweeney's latest book, The 1911 Volume 2, and he mentioned that Senator Diane Feinstein (CA) and Charles Schumer (NY) both have "unrestricted carry permits!" :o

They seem to take their constitutional rights very highly... but only for themselves?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 07:48:35 PM by cuteo100 »

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 06:53:10 PM »
Seven excellent essay .  Keep on educating the folks.  Its nice when you see the light go on in their eyes and they go ooohh.  Now I understand or I didn't know that.  Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 06:55:38 PM »
Cuteo100  I didn't know Schumer  has an unrestricted carry permit.  Talk about a hypocrit.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 07:13:35 PM »
We had two cases of road rage two days ago.  One person got out of his car and walked toward the other car - showed his legal carry gun but pointed it at the ground - then got back in his car and drove away.  The other (also legal carry) pointed it briefly at the other driver from inside his car.  Both were tracked down and arrested and all their guns conficated.  

There are two things that bother me here.

If what happened happened (and it was one person's word) - and it happened to me - especially the one where the guy got out of his car and walked toward me with the gun drawn - there is a good chance I would have shot the guy even though it may have been a scare tactic on his part.

The same with the second guy who pointed the gun at the other driver to scare them.  If I was the other driver I may have shot the other guy also.  Hope that decision is something I never have to make.

The next thing that bothers me is the state police took the word of the a signal person in both cases that was enough to get them arrested and guns conficated.  Both will probably lose all chances of getting a carry permit or buying a gun in the future.

What is some anti-gun nut could tell I was carrying.  All he would have to do is call 911 on his cell and tell the police I drew and/or displayed the gun in a threatening matter.  I would never be able to disprove it and judging how the police handled the above the result would probably be the same for me.

Something to think about.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 07:18:20 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 07:47:39 PM »
The more I've been in law school, the more I've seen how evidence gets stretched, twisted, and plain fabricated to get convictions -- I'm not saying all prosecutors, etc are bad, or even many of them, but there are plenty running around who care more about their political image than about what might be done to some innocent guy.

With that said, there's only one reason a gun should ever come out, and that should be immediately prior to it's being used -- I was fortunate enough to have a good man teach my CCW class, and one of the main things he pushed was by the time you think you should draw, you need to have already started firing.  Anger, and emotion, should remain totally separate from why you would draw, however in the scenario you descibed, I'd be pretty sure that one of them probably drew after the other -- my guess would be the guy in the car, as the other man approached.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 10:02:22 PM »
The situation I discribed above where really two different road rage situations that happened in my area this week.  Only one gun each time.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 11:00:56 PM »
We had two cases of road rage two days ago.  One person got out of his car and walked toward the other car - showed his legal carry gun but pointed it at the ground - then got back in his car and drove away.  The other (also legal carry) pointed it briefly at the other driver from inside his car.  Both were tracked down and arrested and all their guns conficated.  

There are two things that bother me here.

If what happened happened (and it was one person's word) - and it happened to me - especially the one where the guy got out of his car and walked toward me with the gun drawn - there is a good chance I would have shot the guy even though it may have been a scare tactic on his part.

The same with the second guy who pointed the gun at the other driver to scare them.  If I was the other driver I may have shot the other guy also.  Hope that decision is something I never have to make.

The next thing that bothers me is the state police took the word of the a signal person in both cases that was enough to get them arrested and guns conficated.  Both will probably lose all chances of getting a carry permit or buying a gun in the future.

What is some anti-gun nut could tell I was carrying.  All he would have to do is call 911 on his cell and tell the police I drew and/or displayed the gun in a threatening matter.  I would never be able to disprove it and judging how the police handled the above the result would probably be the same for me.

Something to think about.

I agree that both of those scenarios are troubling.  I suspect, however, that the CCW holder in each case may be held under Pennsylvania law to have displayed his weapon before it was needed.  

As recently as fourteen years ago, the mere concept of granting CCW permits to American civilians was  merely an item on the legislative agenda of the NRA.  Our current President and his brother, the Governor of Florida, led the way, and the movement is growing.  

However, given the amount of latent hostility which still exists in some quarters toward the concept of concealed carry, discretion remains the better part of valor in such matters.  One's concealed weapon should be left concealed until it is actually and demonstrably needed for self defense or the defense of another.  

I say all of this as one who has (against my own advice and better judgment) occasionally "flashed" a concealed weapon to a perceived threat.  In each case, though, I attempted to make it look "casual" and unintended.

I don't purport to have a definitive answer to this question.  I simply do the best I can, giving thanks each day to the State of Tennessee for recognizing the greater part of those Second Amendment rights which our nation's founders attempted to enshrine in the United States Constitution.  

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 11:02:25 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"