Author Topic: R9's getting hard to find in the wild again  (Read 3212 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
R9's getting hard to find in the wild again
« on: May 15, 2016, 10:24:51 PM »
Well it seems the venerable R9 has begun to become a bit hard to find at sub $1000 prices on gun broker.  They have been kinda thin on there for the last month or so, but seem to have really dried up now. I imagine the prices will trend up a bit if people don't let them go readily until the market and inflation determine their new value.

I know some seem to think they will not be a super highly collected piece, but I wonder myself. It seems to be that one gun that fits the pocket well, holds 6 +1 of 9mm, controllable, well built, alum frame, light weight, reliable for what it is (not a Glock). All that with a touch of class.

What else fits the bill? Well if it fills its niche well
I see no reason for it to not gain in value and find a new norm. Who knows, Maybe even hit moderate gains in value. Either way for me it doesn't matter a whole lot. I'm keeping mine and handing them down to my kids if they want them and it's legal to do so when I get old enough to do the handoff.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline tattoo

• Master
Re: R9's getting hard to find in the wild again
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 08:47:45 AM »
I agree josh...I am thinking about trading my safe queen k380.  But my r9 is safe in my pocket.  Just love the little pup...

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 09:10:39 AM »
I am down from a high of 16 Rohrbaughs to one. It is a R9 Stealth, NIB, unfired & perfect. I plan on keeping it as a safe queen. As far as pricing goes, it is all about who wants what when. I think that the Rohrbaughs will always be a niche gun and will always be desirable to collectors at the right prices. Some of the members on this Forum who have been collecting Rohrbaughs are pretty much Rohrbaughed out. There are only so many to collect. Recently I have sold 5 Rohrbaughs to new members of the Forum who are just beginning their collections. They bought beautiful guns at reasonable prices from me because I am on to other gun adventures. Its the ADHD kicking in. Rohrbaughs are beautiful well made guns. There will always be buyers and sellers for them. As for pricing...depends on the day, the gun, the # of buyers, and on and on.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 08:53:58 PM »
Of course Norm is right. As for number of guns available… I don't think that number will be increasing anytime soon. Now as for buyers I do foresee that as a possibility of increasing  since no one else on the whole entire planet makes a gun that fits the niche that this one does.  Super small powerful pocketable weaponry is in and considering today's minimalist mindset I don't see it changing anytime soon.

The neat thing is if it doesn't go up I can't imagine the price going down

Again for me it makes no difference because I have one for each of my boys that I will one day handoff to them but it is cool to think that it may be worth more in that golden day than it is now.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 08:58:44 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 11:49:05 AM »
I'm sure keeping mine....my EDC and a spare.  Each of my sons will eventually own one unless, of course, Hillary gets elected.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline FALLEN77

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 11:42:27 PM »
An unfired R9 sold today on gunbroker for $690.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 10:29:43 PM »
An unfired R9 sold today on gunbroker for $690.

Total anomaly IMO. The guy wasn't very smart or just didn't care. There used to be several available and now there aren't.

John Stuart Mill