Author Topic: Seeking Further Info on RZ-50 dry lube  (Read 6163 times)

Offline global-security

Seeking Further Info on RZ-50 dry lube
« on: September 19, 2009, 01:21:24 AM »
Hello All,

I saw an old post regarding RZ-50 Dry lube. To that extent I was curious to know if there was any more discussion on this topic. I searched the fourms,however I could not find any further info.

In addition, Does anyone know if Maria or Robar ever commented in any of the forums on possible problems and/or effectiveness of the RZ-50 dry lube?

I am concerned about voiding the warranty.  ???  

Any factual help or advice would be most appreciated.  

Thanks so much  :D

Jordan [/color]

Offline global-security

Re: Seeking Further Info on RZ-50 dry lube
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 10:11:24 PM »
Ok- since no weighed in on my question.. I figured I would now offer my two cents after experimenting on my Ruger LCP and GSG Pistols. OK, I have no idea how well this products works as I have only utilized two days ago. However one thing I know for sure is- DON'T APPLY TO PLASTIC, POLYMER ETC AS IT WILL TURN THE SURFACE WHITE AND SPOTTED IN COLOR. However If you wait about 5-10 minutes, you can simply wipe down the frame,slide and polymer parts.. thus the spotting disappears.

I am going to use the RZ-50 on all my guns excluding my Robar.  (I don`t want to take any chances that using Dry-Lube may void the factory warranty etc) Until I he Carl, Maria etc give it the thumbs up.. I am not taking any chances.

All the best

Thanks

Jordan

Offline DanR9SF

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 07:58:30 PM »
It's Teflon, a hydrocarbon carrier agent, and a propellant.  

If you ever want to know what's in something, just Google the product name and then add MSDS after it (with a space between the product name and MSDS).  You'll usually be taken to a page with a link to the PDF of the MSDS - Material Safety Data Sheet.  You can also look on the manufacturers website for a link to the MSDS.  On the MSDS you'll find the ingredients and a lot of other information.

You can then Google the main ingredient to find the common name for it.  In this case POLY-TFE Omega-Hydro-Alpha(Methylcyclohexyl) is Teflon.

http://www.google.com/search?q=RZ-50+msds&ie

http://www.rz-50.com/EZ-Glide_MSDS_files/RZ-50.pdf

http://www.fluoridealert.org/pesticides/alpha-%28cyclohexymet...-page.htm

You'll also find many other products that contain the same main ingredient:

http://mainlube.com/cms/uploads/File/Mainlube%20450%20MSDS%20Dry%20PTFE%20Lubricant%20Aerosol.pdf

http://www.techspray.com/newinfo/3115.pdf

Bottom line on Teflon: it's weak and really good for snow shovels and frying pans (however on frying pans it poisonous).  The compressive strength of Teflon is around 375 psi. which means any force in excess of 375 pounds will push the Teflon out of the way.

Teflon is popular and used in many products.  If it's working for you then go for it.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 08:02:44 PM by DaninVA »
R9S and R9SF - Not For Sale

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 10:34:07 PM »
Dan.  Great information.  Thanks!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline global-security

Thanks Dan
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 12:51:34 AM »
This newbie really appreciates your help.

All the best

Jordan

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 04:52:12 PM »
Dan, YOU are the MAN!

KUDOS!

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kwesi

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 07:45:16 PM »
I've used this product exclusively on my Glocks. If you saw the condition after 5,000 rounds it would make you a believer!  Initially I used it on my full auto weapons & all was fine.  I now use it with break free or some other recommended lube.

I first contacted a supplier of RZ-50 to inquire about using it in firearms.  They contacted the manufacturer & basically gave me the thumbs up.  He explained that NASCAR & Speed Boats use it to reduce friction.

This product was recommended to me by someone that had 3,000 flawless rounds thru their Kel-Tech P3-AT , which was my carry before I ever heard about Rohrbaugh.  That is what convinced me to try the product.

I do follow Carl's recommended lube after I apply some RZ-50.

Offline steve_of_jackson

Try Boe-Shield
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 10:31:16 AM »
I have been using Boeing's Boe-Shield on my R9s having switced over from gun oil.  I really like the result.  
The accummulation of power residue and resulting FTEs was dramatically reduced.  Cleaning was much easier again due to the reduction in powder residue.  I will be watching for wear but I'm very pleased with the initial result.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Try Boe-Shield
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 02:26:02 AM »
I have been using Boeing's Boe-Shield on my R9s having switced over from gun oil.  I really like the result.  
The accummulation of power residue and resulting FTEs was dramatically reduced.  Cleaning was much easier again due to the reduction in powder residue.  I will be watching for wear but I'm very pleased with the initial result.

Can you tell us a little bit about it, is it a dry lube?

Thanks

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline steve_of_jackson

Boeshield T-9
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 11:44:40 AM »
Several years ago Boeing developed an aircraft lubricant and marketed it to the general public as Boeshield T-9.  It is designed to displace moisture and dry on the metal surfaces in a thin coating.  There is no noticable feel to the product when dry it just leaves a slick surface behind.  When I switched over to it I notice a significant decrease in the build up of powder residue and the gun operates more smoothly.  I purchased my areosol can of the product 5-6 years ago on recommendation from a woodworker buddy and have been using it in my wood shop.  I coat machine parts, cutting edges and surfaces with it and wipe off the residue.  The result is no corrosion, no residue and a slick surface.  
It is listed as safe for plastic and my original 12oz. can has lasted until recently.  A little bit goes a long way.

Here's a link to their web site.

http://www.boeshield.com/  

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 03:32:30 PM »
Excellent.  Thanks for the link.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln