Author Topic: How many bullets through your pup?  (Read 5384 times)

Offline nalim

How many bullets through your pup?
« on: January 16, 2009, 10:58:15 PM »
I just bought myself a R9S for Christmas and have already put about 660 rounds through it. I absolutely love firing this gun. I hear much chatter on this site that this is not a plinking gun. Should I reign it in a bit or should I let the pup bark? How many rounds do You have through your gun?

Offline sslater

• Master
Re: How many bullets through your pup?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 11:40:29 PM »
nalim,
First, welcome to the forum.  Lots of good information is available here.  And the forum members are gentlemen.

To answer your question, you're shooting schedule is a bit heavy.  

My R9s was built and shipped in July, 2005.  I have put a total of 1400 rounds thru it with one trip back to Rohrbaugh at 1,000 rounds.  (Cracked slide - replaced & returned in less than two weeks.)

Karl Rohrbaugh characterizes the R9 as a "Carry a lot - shoot a little" firearm.  He recommended I shoot mine less - simply because it's an early serial # with carbon fiber grips.  Don't get me wrong, Rohrbaugh stands behind their guns 100%, but the R9 isn't meant to be a 'range warrior'.  

I have several .40 S&W pistols that are made for heavy service, so they are the guns that get lots of rounds thru them.  The R9S gets two mags per range session.  If you don't have another pistol to shoot a lot - there's your rationale for buying one!  
Hey, I think I just talked myself into buying that Ruger SR9.

Steve

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 12:14:34 AM »
I know of one R9s (not mine) that is approaching 7000 rounds without a hiccup.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 01:10:53 PM »
I have a customer that has over 5,000 rds thru it no problem ever.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 10:40:10 AM »
nalim,  If you change the recoil springs on a regular basis,  (you should be on your 4th spring. The pup will bark a long time.  Keep it lubed and it will serve you well.  That being said, Mine is 4 years old and I have the same round count as you.  Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline orthoward

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 11:55:47 AM »
I own number 3.  I have shot this firearm in earlier tests at the factory and have continued to fire off and on for the last 4 yrs. This particular firearm still has original parts (sans springs). Properly lubed and recoil spring change I can honestly say I have 3k rounds through it. I don't want to call it a safe queen but I love to fire it.  It is now going to the safe for my future generations since  I now  own a later model. It has become the fun gun at the range.
Thanks to all for the feedback on this forum. The company has heard and listened to you and you should feel as if you are part of the company.
orthoward

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 09:40:07 PM »
Orthoward,
Thanks for being an "old salt" as an original investor with
foresight. We are all benefactors of a superb concept that
came to fruition.

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 08:07:12 AM »
+1
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 08:46:39 AM »
Orthoward:

Permit me to echo the sentiments of Tracker and the Captain.  I've depended on my R9 for over four years now as my "24/7 gun."  The R9 on the dealer's counter -- +/- $1,000; the piece of mind it provides in the pocket -- priceless!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 06:26:44 PM »
Hey Mike,  Good to hear from you.  When gun # 3 came back for a clean + lube, spring change we did get a little chuckle,  It is definately not a safe queen.  However it is a piece of Rohrbaugh history.  I'm glad it is now getting the velvet treatment and you are banging away with your new R-9.  Let us know when you hit 10,000 rounds.  Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER