Author Topic: Sig P220, Stainless Elite, SAO, 10mm  (Read 3725 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Sig P220, Stainless Elite, SAO, 10mm
« on: April 30, 2016, 02:31:13 PM »

I am a big fan of the 10mm round and own a lot of them.  I am not in bear country or have the need to carry something as large as 10 mm for protection so I like my 10mm pistols to be big and have long barrels.

I just picked this pistol up a couple of days ago and it is built like the proverbial tank.  All stainless steel with nice looking and feeling rosewood grips.  The only gun I have ever cocked the slide on that was stiffer than this is an Auto Mag.  The case support is as good as any gun in 10mm that I have seen.  With an empty magazine she hits the scales at 44 oz.  It looks like this gun is ready for anything you can feed it.  Looking forward to shooting it.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Sig P220, Stainless Elite, SAO, 10mm
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 03:28:15 PM »
That is a beauty of a hand cannon.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 04:43:31 PM »
How does the Colt Delta compare to the Sig?
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 05:25:27 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I like Colts alot. 

The Delta Elites are basically a 1911 designed for 45 ACP chambered for the 10mm.  They really are not strong enough to take the 10mm the way the cartridge was designed.  Most of the factory ammo is not loaded to the full pressures the 10mm is supposed to run at.  Underwood loads full power 10mm ammo which cannot be used in the Deltas.

Dan Wesson, Sig, and Kimber are building their 10mm with a ramped barrel which gives the case full support.  The Delta barrels are not ramped and the chamber is opened up to facilitate reliable feeding leaving the cartridge unsupported.  Glocks chambers are not fully supported either.

The Sig is big, but the grips are very comfortable.  The safety is a long reach for the thumb.  I do not know why it was designed that way.  That is my only gripe so far.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 10:32:55 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I like Colts alot. 

The Delta Elites are basically a 1911 designed for 45 ACP chambered for the 10mm.  They really are not strong enough to take the 10mm the way the cartridge was designed.  Most of the factory ammo is not loaded to the full pressures the 10mm is supposed to run at.  Underwood loads full power 10mm ammo which cannot be used in the Deltas.

Dan Wesson, Sig, and Kimber are building their 10mm with a ramped barrel which gives the case full support.  The Delta barrels are not ramped and the chamber is opened up to facilitate reliable feeding leaving the cartridge unsupported.  Glocks chambers are not fully supported either.

The Sig is big, but the grips are very comfortable.  The safety is a long reach for the thumb.  I do not know why it was designed that way.  That is my only gripe so far.
[/color]

I have to agree with you. As much as I love the idea of Colts...they fall short of what my expectations are now. I used to have a Gold Cup National Match Enhanced...and I loved it. That was 20 years ago. Now when you compare a Dan Wesson or Wilson Combat, etc, it is no match. Still a fine gun, but not the same. I have been toying with the idea of buying a 10 mm. It will be either a Dan Wesson or a Sig. I love both brands. We'll see...
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 12:09:27 PM »
Good looking pistol.  Can't wait to hear how it does on the range.

I have been wishing for years that Sig would make a 10mm version of the P210, probably  not going to happen, but if it did...........................