Author Topic: Selecting a Holster  (Read 5976 times)

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
Selecting a Holster
« on: March 25, 2011, 07:10:18 PM »
After having around 40 years of carrying daily for duty in uniform and out and also carrying concealed daily since retirement as well as having been a chief firearms instructor at the academy for a major state agency, one might think I had enough experience to find exactly what I wanted easily.  I certainly would have thought so.  But such is not the case for the new R9s that I bought not long ago.  

First, I found that the selection for Rohrbaugh is not overly large.  It's not exactly like my primary carry gun, a Colt Defender .45 acp for which everyone who has a needle, thread and a slice of leather makes holster of some shape, type or another.   I also happen to view the Rohrbaugh as a limited use carry pistol,  FOR ME.   Let me emphasize that again,  FOR ME.   For others it may be their primary piece and be carried daily.   But in my case it's a small back up that will serve mainly when my primary is too large, or my clothing too sparse (as in dead summer heat) or when I don't feel like putting on my primary because I'm just going out to walk the dog or some such and just want something that I can just slide in my pants with an easy clip.   As opposed to either taking a shoulder rig with extra mags or have to pull down my pants and put on my Sparks or Null IWB and snap clips etc.  The ones I use don't have convenient clips and aren't easy to put on without dropping your pants etc.   So if I'm just around the house and don't want to wear it all day, a clip on with a Rohrbaugh is just perfect.

First I surveyed and searched the forum and looked on the websites of everyone mentioned.   I eliminated pocket types because that's not my "cup of tea" and my pockets in my jeans and my summer shorts aren't conducive to that type of carry.   I eliminated all forms of belt holster because with a pistol as small as a Rohrbaugh I wanted max concealment when in a T shirt and shorts and even though I'm not overly large at 6-1 200, I'm not exactly cadaverous either.  I like IWB carry and unless the need to carry extra ammo presents then I usually don't wear a shoulder rig but I do have some good ones.  My shoulder rigs usually require more than a T shirt to hide them.   I do own quite a few belt holsters and use them a lot at the range or for training and exercises but that is not why I got this mini handgun.

Since I wanted easy on an off that got me down to an IWB clip on.   Unlike lots of folks I don't feel the need for a reinforced holster mouth.  I understand why people want it and I think if they are going to be spending a lot of time practicing drawing and firing and going to classes etc then it is practically a necessity.  That however, is not me, nor my need.    Reinforced mouth holsters are always wider than I want them to be and thus less comfortable or less concealable as a result.   So I eliminated them.   I checked on the holsters that I do like and the makers, none of them make Rohrbaugh holsters, so that was a dead end.  I admit to some surprise that my favorite makers, Milt Sparks and K L Null don't show the Rohrbaugh on their list.   Getting Sparks people on the phone to ask is an excercise in futility and I didn't find a holster that fit my easy on/off criteria in Kenny Nulls list.  So I was stuck.  

I looked at all the websites mentioned on the forum and to all the makers I could think of.   I came up with two that fit my criteria.   One was the Alessi Talon and it looked pretty good, was reasonably priced, not a custom,  but for an off the shelf holster it was still 8 weeks out minimum.    The other was the HBE  Slim Pro.   It had an advantage over the talon in that the clip on the talon appeared to be plastic and the HBE was metal.    I settled on the HBE Slim Pro and called HBE and placed the order.   I asked for between 5 and 15 degrees of cant which wasn't a problem.   I also asked for little or no boning in or special fitting on the trigger guard.    Most holster makers really fit the trigger guard recess so that it is almost necessary to jerk the pistol out rather than smoothly draw it.   They do that as a safety device to keep you from having it come out by accident.   But they forget when wearing a IWB, the belt creates the pressure which holds the gun in the leather and it simply isn't necessary to bone in the trigger recess that much.   I have found that Milt Sparks over does it like crazy and I have noticed others who do also.  It seems like it's almost a badge of distinction to have that done.
People sometimes forget that the advantage to a concealed weapon is it's stealth and that a butter smooth draw doesn't draw attention to you while an overt jerking probably will.  That won't matter in a one on one encounter.  But if you are in a group and someone is bent on harm, the ability to produce your weapon at the time of your choosing without attention is a major and very distinct advantage.  

When the holster arrives in the future,  I will repost and let you know whether I like Indiana Jones, "chose wisely."   Also I don't think that my criteria should apply to everyone and may not apply to anyone but me.  However, the thought process might be worth thinking about when you consider your own choices.  Good luck
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:50:33 AM by flintsghost »
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms

Offline slimjim

Re: Selecting a Holster
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 07:55:58 PM »
I called Eric (HBE) month or two ago...he was running about 7 months lead time.  Did he quote you a lead time?  Don't know if you are aware that the Alessi Talon's clip is made to grab onto the seam of pants and then the belt covers the clip.  Not intended to be clipped directly on the belt.  The HBE you ordered can be worn both ways.    Anyways...Eric does fine work, you should be happy.

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 08:09:35 PM »
I called Eric (HBE) month or two ago...he was running about 7 months lead time.  Did he quote you a lead time?  Don't know if you are aware that the Alessi Talon's clip is made to grab onto the seam of pants and then the belt covers the clip.  Not intended to be clipped directly on the belt.  The HBE you ordered can be worn both ways.    Anyways...Eric does fine work, you should be happy.

I was aware , thanks.  And by the way if you read what Alessi says on his site the Talon can be worn under or over the belt, unless I misunderstood what they were saying.  
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:46:22 AM by flintsghost »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 08:49:23 PM »
Did you check D.M.Bullard ? he makes holsters for the pup and offers a clip on IWB.
 16 to 20 week leadtime

http://www.mcssl.com/store/dmbullardleathermfg/catalog/category/5060225
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 08:49:51 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 09:19:16 PM »
flintsghost:

First of all, thank you for your years of service.

After reading through your insightful post, it occurred to me that you might consider a holster of what I call the "marsupial" design for carrying the R9 IWB. One manufacturer of such in various sizes and materials is LAW Concealment Systems. This is a link to one site which offers their products:

http://www.shootingresources.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=39&Itemid=64

I have two such holsters, one large and one small, which I use on occasion as situations and mode of attire dictate.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 10:23:06 PM »
Didn't know about Bullard but had seen various marsupial types before.  Even considered the undershirt style with a pouch for a handgun in it that is sold by the holster maker from the northwest (can't remember his name right off) but decided that I like the position I always use when I carry and wanted something to go there.  

Thanks for the link on Bullard,  I will give him some consideration if I decide to get a clip type again for any of my other firearms.   That could happen but I hope not.  Like every person who has owned handguns or any firearms for any length of time I have a huge drawer full of holsters that are great for all my handguns and in truth only 3 or 4 get used with any frequency.     However once in a while I have an epiphany and I found that the Milt Sparks Watch 6 that I bought for my HK 2000 SK which I had sold,  actually was a perfect fit for my Sig 225, 228, and 239 without any alteration at all.  That was nice since I only had belt leather for any of them.   Until the Rohrbaugh came along I hadn't had to buy leather for years.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 11:23:26 PM »
I , like Richard at times use the Law Systems marsupial type as well.  Actually, mine are so old, they were called The Shadow before Law Systems.
I use mine when I wear shorts that are the "basketball/gym type" that do not have belts, and I am just wearing a  t-shirt with it .  I am usually just making a quick run to the grocery store and am too lazy to get dressed.
This holster is designed well with the strong clip so you do not need a belt.
Conceals very well.

Even if it is not your primary rig it is a good add on to any collection - but one that WILL be used.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 08:53:46 AM »
It's worth noting that while I still haven't talked to the people at Milt Sparks about Rohrbaugh and they still don't make an extremely easy on/off clip on holster for anything really, I did see a Summer Special for a .380 Rohrbaugh made by them for sale for an extraordinary high price on an auction site.   So they must have samples of the Rohrbaugh to mold to.

Offline robertmeco

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 06:14:44 PM »
I make a clip on IWB for the R9 check my web site
www.mecopocketholsters.com
Thank you Robert
robertmeco

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 02:11:26 AM »
I make a clip on IWB for the R9 check my web site
www.mecopocketholsters.com
Thank you Robert

Thank you for the info.  I have, of course, already ordered one and have a couple of others that I also like.  But I will keep you in mind.

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 08:12:32 AM »
The HBE is in use now and has proved to be satisfactory for the purpose intended.   The belt clip had an annoying small protrusion on the lower end of the clip that was supposed to slide under the bottom of the belt to hold it super securing.  The protrusion made sliding over the belt and off again later a bit of a challenge.   I used my ingenuity to remove it and the holster is still secure and works for it's intended purpose quite well.

I also managed to pick up a Kramer IWB.  It has a very tight clip, but goes on and off without a lot of problems.  It works best to clip it over the pants but under the belt and slides off and on easier that way.   The clip has very little give to be expanded to go over the belt and pants both.  

Both holster clip to sweats and shorts easily, are comfortable and hide well, while still affording good accessability.   I gave my son the choice and he preferred the HBE while I get along quite well with the Kramer.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 10:47:14 PM »
Good to see you got your holsters, flintsghost.  Good decision on giving one to your son.  Do enjoy!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln