Author Topic: Wow!  I can't get it apart.  (Read 6459 times)

Offline twostar

Wow!  I can't get it apart.
« on: April 18, 2005, 10:42:29 PM »
Let's see; been shooting 51 years, certified police academy firearms instructor, certified SIG armorer and usually not the dumbest guy in the room, but I'll be d***ed if I can get the pin out of the side of this thing to even START disassembling it?  Please tell me I'm not the only one!

Any tricks or tips anyone would like to share?  And when is that nifty tool going to be available?  I'm in dire need of one, obviously.  I HATE a dirty gun, and I sure won't carry it for self defense in this condition.

HELP!

Twostar
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
Re: Wow!  I can't get it apart.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 03:17:25 AM »
Don't feel so bad, it can be tough - especially getting the pin lined up exactly where it needs to be.

First - you are driving it from the right side of the gun, correct? - assuming that is the case then you need to be sure that you have the pin EXACTLY lined up with the hole on the frame on the left side. If you can get a hard plastic rod between the slide and barrel then use it as a lever to slightly adjust the slide hole in relation to the pin. Mine almost falls out by itself - it needs very little pressure to remove it. I suspect that you have not lined up the left frame hole exactly with the pin - there seems to be a very close tolerance there.

Have you tried the FAQ page? - http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/rohrbaugh/home.htm

Good luck!!! Let us know how you progress. This certainly isn't a gun for field take down, is it?!?
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline twostar

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 03:16:33 PM »
Good idea with the plastic rod.  Thanks for the tip.  I appreciate the help.  And you're right.  Field stripping would be a problem, but then it really isn't that kind of gun, thank God!

Mike
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 06:48:57 PM »
Mike - welcome . :)  

Indeed the pup ain't the most friendly piece to take down but - use of a plastic rod, chopstick - anything that enables a fine adjustment should help.  My #1 R9 is easy - pin is almost free. #2 is tighter and so I get exact separation needed by using chopstick (eyeball the pin and hole alignment from left) then turn it over and lay on my nylon block - and proceed to use a small punch gently.

Practice does facilitate this process - but first time for most of us was I think an experience!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 09:05:36 AM »
Could someone describe the slide open distance, or tool dimension,  required to remove the pin?

I need to find a plastic rod to be ready!

« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 09:06:51 AM by Michigunner »

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 09:40:47 AM »
From what I see now, RS9Carry has the best thing going,   the Chop Stick....   The hole alignment is very precise,  the taper allows for minute adjustment.  
The tool that Shelb designed had the precise dimension built in.  The design I offered Rohrbaugh in the past few days,  also employed the precise dimension..I don't know the dimension,  and a search for Shelb's tool fails for me..  

Can someone find Shelb's drawing ?
RJ=

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 01:14:34 PM »
RJ,

Here is a link showing the tool.  The caption says that the dimensions are shown, but I don't see them.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Cleaning;action=display;num=1091208985;start=14#14
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 01:15:46 PM by Michigunner »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 01:43:51 PM »
Michigunner - for all practical purposes forget about dimensioning - just try a chopstick at the taper end and pay close attention to the alignment of the slide hole reference the pin.

Once things are in total alignment - maybe note the portion of chopstick having the effect and mark it - then if you want, measure with vernier calipers.

While I think a purpose made tool would be very nice to have - to be honest the chopstick is so easy - I doubt I will ever use or need anything else!!
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 02:56:15 PM »
R9SCarry, the chopstick idea is starting to sound better all the time.

Thanks for the comments.

We just came from a Chinese restaurant.

Do you use a bamboo chopstick, or plastic?

Bill

Offline logical

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 04:01:23 PM »
If the Chinese place has plastic chop sticks, I think you must have accidently stumbled into the food court at the mall.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 04:46:12 PM »
Michigunner - well mine ain't plastic so maybe bamboo - pretty much tho they are just some sorta hardwood.  Just checked - seem like a sorta beech - light color and fine grain.  Like dowel really

They are originally I'd say 8" long with the taper on just lower inch or so.  Nom dia is 0.200" - I trimmed off narrowest part to allow enough ingress into gun and so use the upper part of taper.

I guess if some 1/4" dowel found and put in drill - then sand end to a short taper bit less than 0.200 at end, this would do too.  Nylon rod would be even better.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 05:05:22 PM »
logical:

I didn't see any chopsticks at the restaurant.  Now, wish I had asked.  We are on friendly terms with the staff, so maybe I'll offer to buy some.  It's the real place.  We can hardly understand each other.

R9SCarry:

Thanks for the idea about making up some.  Excellent thought about fabricating something in a drill.

Some people, like myself, were absent that day when the Creator passed out mechanical and craftsman skills.

You are a great writer who provided a very clear description.  My hat is off to you.