Author Topic: Amendment To OH CCW Law  (Read 2937 times)

Offline ROKTMAN

• Expert
Amendment To OH CCW Law
« on: December 12, 2006, 09:23:52 PM »
The Ohio Senate voted 21-12 today to override Governor Taft on HB347. The Act will now become law 91 days after it is enrolled with the Secretary of State.

Part of this bill takes care of the problem associated with carying in Automobiles and also repeals all firearms related ordinances that major citys such as Toledo, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Columbus have enacted.  This is a major victory for Gun Owners and especially CCW Holders.  

The current law states that a weapon must be holstered in plain sight or in plain sight of the LEO dring a traffic stop.This just made for some unsafe gun handling in the vehicle...a bad idea for sure.

Statewide preemption and the concealed carry fixes will become Ohio law on or around Wednesday, March 14th due to the fact that there are only 28 days in February.

Thanks to everyone who assisted in making this bill a success!

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
Re: Amendment To OH CCW Law
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 08:20:12 PM »

I watched this very carefully..I am in MI so travel every once in awhile to OH..
I also have a nephew in Cinci,and he carries,so I tried to keep him updated!!

Congrats on the MAJOR changes!!

I never did understand the "plain view" thing!! ???

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 09:55:40 PM »
I remember reading about not carrying a firearm in a highway rest area in Ohio, because it was considered to be a 'Park'.

Does anybody know if that rule actually exists or perhaps may be eliminated by the new law changes?

Bill

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 10:19:15 PM »
where have you been, Bill? You have been missed.  

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 11:22:56 PM »
Hi tracker,

Thanks for the kind words.

I've been mostly lurking here everyday, staying on the sidelines, since I sold my R9.   I wanted to be especially careful and avoid making any unintentional remarks which could be considered negative.  My R9 experience was highly satisfactory.

We are going to northern Michigan on 26 December to celebrate Christmas with our daughters and their families.

I can't remember if I told you that a friend of mine is a 747 inspector, and he is going to let me come aboard to sit in the cockpit.  I'm pretty excited about it.  Unfortunately, it's difficult to schedule something when you are hours away.

I hope you get some good toys for Christmas.

Bill

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 12:28:57 AM »
Thanks, Bill; Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 04:15:01 PM »
 can't remember if I told you that a friend of mine is a 747 inspector, and he is going to let me come aboard to sit in the cockpit

That is the ultimate! I'm really happy for you!

Merry Christmas

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 11:28:05 PM »
Thanks for the good remarks, Reinz.  It does sound like fun.  I hope it happens.

I don't know if you knew that tracker is a 747 pilot.  He has done it many times, and probably still gets a kick out of sitting in one.

For what it's worth, I am a ham radio operator and once talked to an "aeronautical mobile", which was a 747 coming into New York from the Atlantic.

Somehow, the pilot had rigged up an antenna suitable for one of the amateur radio bands and a few of us talked to him.  It was quite rare.

Bill
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 06:59:03 PM by Michigunner »

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 04:10:31 PM »
I remember reading about not carrying a firearm in a highway rest area in Ohio, because it was considered to be a 'Park'.

Does anybody know if that rule actually exists or perhaps may be eliminated by the new law changes?

Bill

At this point it appears that we are still stuck with leaving our guns in the car at a rest stop.  There were also concessions to the other side in the form of increased penalties for violations of the law.  Overall, it is a big improvement, but OH still has to make a few changes before they are in line with other right to carry states.

http://www.ohioccw.org/

Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 06:57:55 PM »
Thanks for the rest stop info, Bill.

I am glad to hear that the vehicle confusion will be resolved.

Heretofore, I left my handgun at home when going to Ohio via car.