Author Topic: The Beginnings...  (Read 4871 times)

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: The Beginnings...
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 12:44:48 PM »
I can't wait till it's ready and I'll turn my sound up.  ;) :D  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 02:40:49 PM »
We'll all tune in!!    ;D    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 03:05:34 PM »
DDGator:  I think the concealed weapon would work better on one of the Telecaster styles we're working on.  Instead of the truss rod in the neck - put a rifle barrel.  Then you could put a magazine in place of the front pick up, and use the switch right above that for the trigger.  ;D  Definitely would give you a different tune and would justify the term of hotrodding it.

On the guitar-making side, I'm already planning out my next acoustic.  Trying to decide between Brazilian Rosewood or figured Bubinga for the back and sides.  The BR is ~$1200 and the Bubinga is ~$400.  I think the BR would look awesome with a mahogany top versus the more common Sitka.

Picked up a couple of chunks of african rosewood today for the bridges.  They should blend in well with the guitar I'm working on now.
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 09:26:56 AM »
Weekly update:  Cut another brace for the center of the back.  (I never realized how many braces are used on an acoustic guitar.)  Thinned down and cut out the basic shape of the top.  Also cut the sound hole and inlaid the rosette.  The rosette is made from hawaiian koa wood.  I wanted to give a little bit of color and variation to the top.  The rosette ring was actually cut/split and then laid in the groove cut out for it.  Had to do a little bit of trim for a good fit.  Then it was sanded down flush with the actual top. Here's a couple of pics:

Next week I should be gluing all the braces I've cut over the last couple of weeks onto both the top and the back.  Will also be sanding some more on the top in order to smooth out the lines and slight variation in color.  Also picked up some african rosewood for the bridge.  It came from a hardwood flooring.  Should make for a nice blend of the mahogany and the koa grain and colors.
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 09:59:57 AM »
Still looking good!!   Nice workmanship!!   :)    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2009, 12:30:33 PM »
that is some very fine work there, very interesting to see this guiter being born.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus