Author Topic: Fishing and Camping CCW  (Read 6756 times)

Offline Kalifornia_Kid

Fishing and Camping CCW
« on: August 14, 2010, 07:52:54 PM »
Spending more time fishing, canoeing, and kayaking on the Georgia coast.  Have seen and come close to some intimidating critters on little Tybee and Cumberland island.   Should I carry my R9S or my S&W 640 in .357 Mag on these trips.   The both will ride in my pocket or my life vest pocket.  Its pretty much guaranteed they will get damp if not soaked.  Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Fishing and Camping CCW
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 09:03:48 PM »
I think just for the sake of knock down power, and simplicity of design I would go for the 357. A revolver is pretty straight forward. in the event you had to take them apart on the trail for a good cleaning due to being submerged in water, mud etc. the revolver does not have all pins and springs to worry about loosing. Also in the event of damage you could shoot a revolver with out it's grips,(wouldn't be fun) as we all know the pup is just a paperweight if the right grip is broken.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 10:41:13 PM »
Kid.  John says it well.  I vote for the .357, too.  The R9S is a defensive weapon, however, not necessarily for critters in a wet environment or to be carried in such.

The .357 should do very well.  Simple is good.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 10:42:18 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 10:48:05 PM »

If you value your hearing, do not carry the .357.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »
He can wear ear plugs!    ;D  Kid.  Carry the .357; just wear the plugs.    ;)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 10:53:46 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 11:00:32 PM »

Not realistic to wear ear plugs in that environment; one needs all of the senses working out there.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 11:08:11 PM »
Oh.  I would think with canoeing and kayaking, the ear plugs would be needed.  Just my thoughts.    ;)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 11:10:25 PM »

Perish the thought.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 11:11:54 PM »
tracker.  tracker.    :(

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 11:13:12 PM »

Ok.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 11:32:08 PM »
When a bear or boar is coming at you the last thing you will need to worry about is your hearing. When the bear tears your head off because you peed him off with a 9mm you stop hearing  
anyway. In a dangerous environment especially if there is any chance of a bear encounter you do not want a 9mm.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 11:39:56 PM »
I gonna have to agree with that!    ;D

Offline Kalifornia_Kid

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 12:28:03 AM »
Gentlemen and Ladies, Appreciate the feedback.  In California I saw the occasional wild pig.  But I never had a big gator or any gator bump my boat.  Your posts support what I thought, but just looking for another point of view.  On the islands I have seen pigs, gators, snakes, and some really aggressive raccoons.  I have no ill will to any of them, but just in case, I want to assure I am prepared.  In California, the government did not believe in self-defense.  They thought the animals were on the same level as humans and their natural instincts triumph the plague of man.  These policies and poor wildlife management led to Man becoming a part of the food chain of mountain lions.

As for ear plugs, well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  I leverage them every evening because my better half,,,,,,,,,,,  well.  You understand.   In the wild, I need to defend my family, I think a ringing in my ear is worth preserving my wife of 22 years and my 12 year old son.  

Hay,  I am a straight guy born and raised in the city of San Francisco.  A son of an Army Air Corp B29 pilot, Air force brat, a man raised with southern values, trapped in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.   Work liberated me to Georgia 4 years ago and I am home.

Thanks KK

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 01:00:16 AM »

A .357 will take care of those aggressive raccoons.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 01:59:32 AM »
I know I'm late chiming in here; I'd go with the .357 as well.

Tracker, if hearing/noise levels is/are an issue for you, I sure would not jump on the R9 custom porting band wagon that some members seem to be riding.

I have and have had many ported handguns and they significantly raise the noise levels! :P
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE