Author Topic: Liberty Safes?  (Read 6122 times)

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
Liberty Safes?
« on: February 06, 2012, 02:28:21 PM »
Hi Guys,

I am in the process of researching safes for storage of my guns and other valuable items. Liberty is the brand I have heard the most about but are there other brands any of you would recommend that I consider before investing in one?

Thank you in advance for the input.

-Ryan
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline Z

• Grand Master
Re: Liberty Safes?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 03:07:50 PM »
BlueC2

Good afternoon. I hope all is well. There are alot of safe manufacters out there. Here are a few i have experience with and would recommend.
Amsec
Gadall
Graffunder
It may be hard for you to select a safe. Your budget will be the best way to determine where to start looking. If possible, buy a safe that is larger than your current needs. They fill up fast. :)

Let me know if you have any questions.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 10:05:24 PM »
+1 on buying bigger...get the biggest you can afford if you have the room for it.  I thought I'd bought bigger and in less than a year had to buy a second one and I'm already crowded again.  If you are married you will likely have to dedicate a fair portion to your wife's use!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 10:49:02 PM »
If I may add a little to Backup's advice with over 40 years of gun addiction; if at all possible, streeettchh and spend more than you can afford, I mean till it hurts, i.e. get that bigger model you can't afford.

You will be glad you did.

If I did, I wouldn't have a large, a medium/large, a medium and 2 smalls. :P
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 11:24:49 PM »
I have a Liberty - Lincoln 35 in my house right now.  Such a nice safe, reasonable price.  I wanted to space for more than just firearms, such as important papers, old watches, etc....  I found this one to be the best in the price range I was looking at.  Very very happy with my purchase and for whatever it's worth, I'd give the Liberty - Lincoln my nod of approval.

http://www.libertysafe.com/buy-a-safe-lincoln-35-color-pg-13.html
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 11:12:25 AM »
Thanks everyone for the input. As it turns out the limiting factor will be the size for the closet that my wife said i could put the safe in. Good thing Rohrbaughs are small!
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 12:58:06 PM »
Dont forget to look for a safe that has a drop rating.

If you have a fire and the safe falls through the floor and it does not feature a drop rating, you can compromise the contents.

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 01:24:54 PM »
Z,

Thanks for the heads up on the drop rating. Currently the safe is planned to go in a closet in the finished part of the basement so there wont be any floors for it to fall through. This is good information for future safe purchases though!

Thanks,
Ryan
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 02:39:19 PM »
Z,

Thanks for the heads up on the drop rating. Currently the safe is planned to go in a closet in the finished part of the basement so there wont be any floors for it to fall through. This is good information for future safe purchases though!

Thanks,
Ryan

The only advice I might add would be the obvious recommendation that you bolt it to the floor using stainless steel hardware. The BGs are getting ingenious these days. Some of them will take the entire dam*ed safe if it isn't bolted down and they have enough time to work uninterrupted.   
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 02:58:10 PM »
Richard,

I have seen the bolt down kits. Do you know if they can be bolted into concrete?

Thanks,
Ryan
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 03:25:52 PM »
Most can and this would be the preferred method. Check the hardware supplied. You can always stop by a hardware store to pick up some concrete anchors.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 03:54:55 PM »
Richard,

I have seen the bolt down kits. Do you know if they can be bolted into concrete?

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan:

Assuming that your safe has four anchor holes in the floor (one in each corner), four large wedge anchors properly installed should provide sufficient security for the purpose.  The material at this link may provide some guidance:

http://www.concretefasteners.com/anchors-fasteners/index.aspx
_____

Edited to add this link to an installation video for wedge anchors:

http://www.concretefasteners.com/anchors-fasteners/thunderstud-wedge/installation.aspx

The floor of the safe would be represented by the board shown in the video. Just be sure to use a washer (or three) fitting each bolt snugly and providing generous coverage of the anchor holes in the safe floor.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 06:04:03 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 10:20:09 PM »
^^^^Exactly^^^^
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
Zinotti Safes
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 07:49:31 AM »
 I have a Zanotti Safe. It is made in Iowa if I remember correctly. It is a great safe. Many LEO's like it. You actually put it together with a hammer. You recieve it in about (4) boxes allowing you to assemble it in a room you would never be able to get a decent sized safe into (I live in a 100 year old house with Narrow doors. Assembled my safe cannot be removed from the room without tearing down walls (And having the ability to move a 1000lb box :) ). (You could put it together upstairs in a walkin closet if you wished). Also if you move you do not need a special crew to take it with you. It goes together with about 18 10" long and 3/8 " wide Steel pins pounded into "door" hinges. The heaviest piece is about 150 Lbs and that is the door. Each safe is custom made to your specs. (Example: I had mine done with a left side hinge and a Dial Lock) (Stay away from electronic locks) There is a wait list for these safes. As I said it is custom built for you.

http://www.zanottiarmor.com/

Chief
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 08:55:05 AM by Chief-USN »
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
Re: Zinotti Safes
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 08:28:59 AM »
I have a Zanotti Safe. It is made in Iowa if I remember correctly. It is a great safe. Many LEO's like it. You actually put it together with a hammer. You recieve it in about (4) boxes allowing you to assemble it in a room you would never be able to get a decent sized safe into. Also if you move you do not need a special crew to take it with you. It goes together with about 18 10" long and 1/2 " wide pins pounded into "door" hinges. The heaviest piece is about 150 Lbs and that is the door. Each safe is custom made to your specs. (Example: I had mine done with a left side hinge and a Dial Lock) (Stay away from electronic locks) There is a wait list for these safes. As I said it is custom built for you.

http://www.zanottiarmor.com/

Chief

Good info.....what problems occur with electric locks?
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety