Author Topic: Liberty Safes?  (Read 6121 times)

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
Re: Liberty Safes?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 08:46:33 AM »
 Any good safe maker will tell you that if a part is going to fail it will be with the electronic locks.  Also when you use an electronic lock you tend to not change the combination too often (Go on admit it :)) and the numbers used become worn given a potential thief fewer combinations of numbers he needs to try.  You also want to stay away from "Shiney" dials. Light reflects off of them in ways that make them hard to read. (Especially with old eyes like mine)  :)

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 08:54:21 AM »
What the Chief said. And if not changed regularly, batteries can go dead just when you need to open the safe in a hurry.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 09:34:53 AM »
Yes, you must put the safe on the same Battery change schedule as your Smoke detectors. I have not spoken to anyone with any Electronic lock issues here at my office since 1 hour ago. (They had to call a Locksmith) And the safe Manufacturer told them they would replace the Electronic lock for a Dial as they have had issues on a regular basis. But now they are not answering their 1-800 number.

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 09:44:39 AM »
Chief

I too have a Zanotti safe and they do make a good product.  The only down side is the limited fire protection that they provide.  I have a "fire proof" Liberty (if there truly is such a thing) but had no more room to put another.  The Zanotti was the only thing I could get downstairs and I am happy with it.

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 09:52:35 AM »
As many say, "there are no fireproof safes, only Fire resistant ones"  I did a few things in mine, (1) I have added a door system that has a cool pocket to protect Cash and some papers. (2) I have a small "Fire Box" in my safe that I keep passports etc. in.  Realistically if my house were to catch fire the safe would drop through the floor before it was too damaged by fire as the 100 year old structure is well cured :) House is Brick and Hickory. Cannot drive a nail into the studs without bending. (Or maybe I just cannot hit a nail straight :)  )

Chief
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 10:38:33 AM by Chief-USN »
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline Z

• Grand Master
Re: Zinotti Safes
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 04:28:52 PM »
I have a Zanotti Safe. It is made in Iowa if I remember correctly. It is a great safe. Many LEO's like it. You actually put it together with a hammer. You recieve it in about (4) boxes allowing you to assemble it in a room you would never be able to get a decent sized safe into. Also if you move you do not need a special crew to take it with you. It goes together with about 18 10" long and 1/2 " wide pins pounded into "door" hinges. The heaviest piece is about 150 Lbs and that is the door. Each safe is custom made to your specs. (Example: I had mine done with a left side hinge and a Dial Lock) (Stay away from electronic locks) There is a wait list for these safes. As I said it is custom built for you.

http://www.zanottiarmor.com/

Chief

Good info.....what problems occur with electric locks?

Jack
Electronic locks have a tendency to fail without explanation.
I ordered over 120 electronic locks last year at work, more that half of that number was to replace an exisitng electronic combination lock that had failed. If an electronic lock fails, 95% of the time it needs to be drilled open.
If you have mechanical combination lock and you have a problem with it, you can usually dial it open without drilling it and repair it.
It's not if an electronic combination lock will fail, it is when it will fail.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:22:20 PM by Z »